Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Worst: (Wednesday before Memorial day weekend this year) on road less than two weeks with new to us class a. Going from Denver to Swan Valley Idaho area.
Wednesday: Broken fuel line in Rock Springs Wy. Pulled in to cummins shop and tech said "gotta order fuel line" Stayed in their parking lot over night.
Thursday: Fuel line came in but said they "have to pull the vp44 injector to get to the fuel line. Have to order new seals for VP44" had to stay in hotel.
Friday: tech broke crankcase oil breather assembly. They don't have a spare and want to order one for Monday. Checked all over rock springs - none available. Found a nice lady at a only diesel parts shop in salt lake that had one. BUT she is leaving early for the day. Wife drove to salt lake from rock springs to lady's home to pick it up. Meantime, cummins shop said they fixed the fuel line and reinstalled the vp44. "Just put on the crankcase breather assembly and hook up hoses and you are good to go" - they went home!
Friday night: hooked up breather and hoses. Hit road. Got exactly 57 miles before notice fuel leak. We slept fitfully on side of road in Wyoming.
Saturday: Called good Sam and they towed me in at 6 am 57 miles to cummins shop. Tech showed up 2 hours later. Tightened loose fuel line. Leak stopped. Drove all the way to family reunion about 250 miles checking every 50 miles for a problem. Good to go.
Saturday night: got to family reunion and found out we had another fuel leak in the last 50 miles. Sheeeeesh! Called Cummins again. Said "take it 60 miles to our tech in Afton Wyoming on Monday and he will fix it again" we did so.
Thursday after Memorial Day: tech found the original tech didn't put a grommet on fuel line. Fixed.
I went to Boise from eastern Idaho so far with no further leaks but she sure stinks of diesel at my RV campground where we are sitting for 14 weeks!
Cost: 1200.00 to cummins, good Sam RS assistance free tow, crankcase oil breather, ton of fuel, missed most of our family reunion.

No apologies from cummins, no discount from cummins just silence.

Best: the PEOPLE - lady from salt lake who went the extra mile to help us get the part we needed and Good Sam roadside kudos! Tech in Afton was great too. Stayed a week at my in-laws place in Idaho falls and another week at sister in laws place in twin falls area. Great to be with family and meeting those who do a good thing because they can!

Jim

We are enjoying the rig now but rough start!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
Wha? How?? Why???
Never figured out why. Carlisle had some bad tires back then and when I called them they weren't surprised at all. They were 3 years old. They told me to buy 4 new tires and send them the bill. 4 new Goodyears and they refunded my money.

Worst part was leaving the TT on the side of I95 on jacks until Monday when I could borrow a tire from my dealer to get it home.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Never figured out why. Carlisle had some bad tires back then and when I called them they weren't surprised at all. They were 3 years old. They told me to buy 4 new tires and send them the bill. 4 new Goodyears and they refunded my money.

Worst part was leaving the TT on the side of I95 on jacks until Monday when I could borrow a tire from my dealer to get it home.
that is scary leaving your rig on the side of I95
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #60

Excel Owners Club
August, 2016, was returning to Texas from Creede, Co. Turned eastbound on US 87 at Raton, NM. There were thunderstorms in the area and two supercell thunderstorms about 25 miles east of Raton. One storm had already crossed US 87 and there was enough of a gap between them to pass the second before it crossed US 87. Timing was perfect, missed both storms. What I didn't miss was the aftermath of the first storm. Cruising about 65 mph with a group of RV's, I was following a 5th wheel about 100 yards back. I noticed the trailer brake lights in front of me come on. I took my foot off the accelerator and started slowing down. Then I saw what had caused the trailer in front of me to brake. As far as you could see was solid white. About a foot of quarter-sized hail covered the highway. That didn't scare me. It was the fast moving car coming up on my left. He was plowing virgin hail and started swerving as he passed me. As soon as he past me, he lost it. spinning in the left lane. I tried to brake as best as I could and fortunately, he never crossed into my lane. If he had we would have met by accident. Shook up the DW pretty bad. Thought I was going to have to school-zone it the rest of the way home.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:39 AM   #61

Rolling south on 95 in SC with heavy traffic and pouring rain. Everything shuts off at 65 mph. No steering, no brakes. Made it to the side of the road with toad in tow. Ignition A fuse blown. Replaces and got back on the road. Happened 2 more times before we got to our stop in Fla. While there, built me a bypass circuit for everything but the engine. Has never happened again. 2004 P32
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #62

Worst thing - front blowout

Blew the front left tire on I-75 just before Corbin KY exit - too far to crawl. Traffic was streaming - tire exploded, MH veered across the interstate heading for the grass area separating the highways (everyone got out of our way). Remembered a talk at Lazy Days about accelerating through a blowout - accelerated - MH evened out and was able to pull back into right lane (again traffic let us) and pulled off the road. Could barely see exit but couldn't get there. Called Good Sam. KY HP stopped - said someone called that they thought we hit someone - guess they heard the blowout. Survey of MH & toad proved we didn't. For five thankful minutes traffic slowed around us - then KY HP left and traffic streamed by. Good Sam sent a "child" to come and change the tire right on the side of the interstate. Glad we did that safe driver class at Lazy Days when we bought the MH.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKINBETZ View Post
... Remembered a talk at Lazy Days about accelerating through a blowout - accelerated - MH evened out and was able to pull back into right lane (again traffic let us) and pulled off the road. ... Glad we did that safe driver class at Lazy Days when we bought the MH.
Good to hear from someone with actual experience with this method of maintaining control. Good to know it can work in a real life situation.

Glad you are here to tell us about it!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #64

We were driving our 1977 class C from Illinois to Rocky Mountain National Park in 1992. The motorhome had a carbureted Dodge 440 engine. I forgot to open up the carburetor to lean out the mixture.
We were about half way up Big Thompson canyon going towards Estes Park. My wife had never been there before and was videotaping the river and mountains when on the tape you can hear a lot mechanical clunk. Suddenly we were losing power and stuck on a curve of the two lane road with no where to get off the road.
We were blocking traffic and our fellow travelers weren't happy and they let us know as they went around our dead motorhome. After about ten minutes an old Dodge pickup heading downhill stopped blocking traffic in the other direction.
An old guy who my wife had every since referred to as the mountain man got out of the truck and offered to help. He went back to his truck turned it around into our lane and pulled out a logging chain from the back under the topper. He chained the motorhome to the truck and pulled us up to where there was room to get off on the side of the road. The mountain man wouldn't take any money for helping us.
After the engine cooled down we were able to limp up the canyon a bit further until there was a roadside stand that we could turn around in and head back down the canyon.
We wound up camping at the bottom of the canyon, renting a car and commuting to Estes and the park.
Later we limped down to Denver and found a mechanic to look at the motor. My 8 cylinder Dodge 440 was now a 6 banger as I'd blown three valves from overheating.
A few hundred dollars on the MasterCard later we were back on the road.
So blowing the valves going up the canyon was probably my worst experience and getting help from a stranger may have been the best.
Although there was that time in Mississippi when the rear wheels were stuck in mud up to the axels in that guys yard. That was interesting too.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #65

Spending two weeks in a motel in Lebanon, MO in July waiting for the engine to be replaced in my 1985 Winnebago Chieftain in 2005.

The best is I haven't had anything worse than that happen with my current MH. In fact,(other than a blown tire in the Texas desert on a Sunday morning) it has been very good to me. KNOCK WOOD!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #66

Can't match some of the adventures written here, so apparently my worst day wasn't bad as I thought. There is written proof here. Hope I don't jinx myself and get into real big troubles.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #67

Norcold n621 leaked all the ammonia out this week on my trip to Oregon. No matter what I decide to fix or replace it with it will be expensive
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Norcold n621 leaked all the ammonia out this week on my trip to Oregon. No matter what I decide to fix or replace it with it will be expensive

One of those dorm size fridge/ freezer might be a temporary fix. I see them a WM for around $100. Lowes had one almost the same size as a single door RV fridge for $178 that looked really nice. All electric though.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #69

I have been looking on and off all day but that is a great temp fix. Thanks for the heads up
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post
[ATTACH]Oops! forgot pic of worst day...
that is a bad day

so sad
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote