Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If it were you...
Itasca 67 73.63%
Fleetwood 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #29

If its a good motorcycle rack, I'd keep it. Be useful for other stuff, like bicycles etc. and could be a selling point when you change rigs.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Things to consider are CCC, if you will be full timing that means lots of stuff so you'll need the carrying capacity. Also towing capacity???

IMHO I'd got with the Itasca, diesels tend to ride better, have more power on hills and pulling.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #31

The Itasca is the winner! It'll get you up mountains much easier, will be a quiet ride, has more tank capacity, bigger hitch rating. It will be a stronger, well-built unit.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:00 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateYarbro View Post
Thanks Ranger Smith! Even for the extra $33,000? Is there anything in particular that would help you make that decision or is it just a bit of everything/generally nicer RV?
Diesel is a much better ride. The chassis is more refined. The gasser is on a truck chassis. I have had both and it seems with the gasser you have to steer it more and by the end of the day it literally beats you up. Not to mention the engine noise with the gasser which is in front as compared to the diesel which is in the rear and you don't hear it. We just came back from California with our new diesel and it was a pleasure to drive. Maintenance will be a little more but you can absorb a lot of that cost by doing your own oil changes and chassis lubes. It is not that hard to do.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:09 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Itasca, simply because it is a better ride over the road, quieter, smoother, etc. For me the journey is more important than the destination. Also, the diesel is simply built heavier providing better insulation and what I think is quality materials. Diesel is my vote.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:45 AM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey, the sister to the Horizon. I would be very similar. I like it. I have had both gas and diesel. You may want to negotiate the price. I bought mine with 53,000 miles on it in very good condition for 70,000.00 just two years ago. I think it is a little over priced. A pusher cost more to keep up. But I do like the rig over my last gas RV.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:21 AM   #35

Full time living you will want the Itasca. At 53k miles the diesel is barely broken in, it has more towing, storage capacities, and is from a better manufacturer (IMO). I have a gas unit and my next one will be too. But we use ours differently.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #36

What, if anything are you planning on towing? If over or close to the 5000 lb limit, the choice is already made, the Itasca! If towing or storage (volume & weight) are not an issue, or if you do most of your RV'ing sitting, not driving, go with the Fleetwood, although IMO, the Fleetwood is not as well appointed, or as durable an interior as the Itasca.

Either way, check tire codes as mentioned previously, take the both for a Test Drive, compare maintenance records available for inspection, and HIRE AN INDEPENDENT INSPECTOR! Make the last a condition of the purchase. Negotiate your best price, contingent on having a chassis, AND a coach inspection by someone NOT recommended by the Seller. That money (probably around $350 to $500 per coach for BOTH inspections) will go a long way toward allowing you to figure true cost of buying the coach. It should identify any shortcomings of the coach, tell you what you will need to do to make it safe, identify any soon to be required maintenance etc. Having an inspection in writing from an independent inspector goes a long way toward getting a price modified . . . . It may also tell you to drop the purchase and run as fast as you can if for instance, leakage or rot is discovered!

Only you can and will make the final decision . . . . . . Good luck in whatever you decide!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Workhorse with an 8.1 and it works for me... but I am not full time. We go out for for a month or two or three and then back home. If I were to go full time I would be looking for a diesel for carrying capacity, ride and noise.

I think that in your case the extra money spent for the diesel will be well spent.

Good luck with your decision.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #38

I believe this is the DP you are looking at 2005 Itasca Horizon 36RD, Colorado Springs CO - - RVtrader.com
For less$$$ and four feet longer and a one owner rig this one looks pretty good. I also like the tv placement in this one better. 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD, San Dimas CA - - RVtrader.com

I would not even consider the gas one.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #39

IMO this is the same as comparing a track home to a custom built home.(diesel vs gas) you get what you pay for.you pay more you get more.there is no difference walking on $10.00a foot tile and $100.00 foot tile.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Nate, I cannot speak to either coach. As a full-timer, I can tell you that a coach that allows you to carry a bunch of weight (stuff = weight) is a very good thing.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #41

Diesel is the difference

Ron & Shirley
Central Pa
Cherokee Grey Wolf 26rr
2002 Ford F150
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #42

I just think whats the value going to be in 5 years? To me makes the answer clear.
Enjoy whatever you get .
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote