Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInNM View Post
I get asked about this in a lot of threads as I learn- Why are you looking at expensive Rigs? Why are you looking at RVs at all at your age (45)? A lot of ‘WHY’? Fair question. * Snip

* Snip
No, 'why?' is not a fair question unless it is used to tailor a response.

Anyone know if Sumitomo tires are a good replacement for my coach? "Why?" Because I want to replace my tires and I have these and want to know if it is a good idea because I don't know.

What is not acceptable is..."Anyone know a good brand of blue jeans?" "Why, sweat pants are more comfy."

That is an opinion that is off topic and meaningless. There is NO possible reason you need to justify an RV purchase from a bunch of people that have RV's. If they think it is a bad idea WHY ARE THEY HERE?

I am looking for an RV (have an old one now and looking for a newer one) and if anyone asks 'why would you do that to yourself at your age?" It is because my wife does not want to ride on the back of my motorcycle on a crosscountry trip up to Alaska for 14,000 miles.
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #30

Home is Bermuda so avoiding commercial flying is not an option. Avoiding large airports like JFK & MIA is not an option. Used to enjoy the air part of the trip but not anymore.

Get me to my truck & trailer ASAP then I am in my happy place, even if that happy place often needs maintenance on this or that.

Why? Well everything is so different from home where we drive on the left for starters & gas is over $8gal.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
'why?'.
My why's ...

Why didn't you buy a new one (I've already stated my Dave Ramsey rant elsewhere; I let other people make mistakes, toss their mistakes aside, and being technically inclined, try to correct them and benefit from their mistakes - to be fair they could have done the same but didn't)

Why do you even RV after reading a couple of your reviews of how crowded it is (Because I didn't have a lake or mountains in my back yard and with every city in the USA today looking basically the same, having houses that are the same beige to tan swatch, with the same number of pitches in the roof, on basically the same lot size, and with the same 12 fast food restaurants and the same 9 chain restaurants in town, the same named stores and the same named malls, and with every mall being of the same construction, every road and highway looking the same and everyone acting mostly the same (gimme gimme gimme it's mine mine mine) I was trying to get out of this boring nut-house for just a little while. Now days dealing with two year reservation camping wait times and wall to wall people at all of the old get-away spots, there is no bed of roses left out here but it's still better than sitting home, watching TV and going out to the same 9 restaurants)

Why are you wasting your time commenting here (I have quarantined for Covid, sick of news and politics, I hate every TV show and I have nothing better to do until things shape up a bit to where the infection is only a passing thought and everyone gets back to normal, then I hope to find something that is not as large a waste of time)

Why are you so snarky (it is most people's imagination that I am snarky, I hate to type on a keyboard and sometimes I don't stroke people properly in print like I do in person, so people get the wrong idea about me)

Why do you appear so down on RVing when you have chosen to live in one (Because unfortunately I enjoyed one from way before the RV glut began over a decade ago spurred by rock bottom fuel prices and the Internet as it went wild with people who make money pretending that this lifestyle will save them from their own problems. The waiting lines and matrix to access any quality destinations today are atrocious in every direction, I can't get in to any facility I want to see anymore and it is making me more and more jaded as each year passes. Camping has turned into cutthroat, crowded lots more expensive than big city apartments and the only way to enjoy what these RVs once gave us is parking in back-woods locations, gas stations and a few remaining big box parking lots that allow it. And that's not to address the people out there who make a goal out of really being snarky and don't mind walking all over you to get what they want)

Why are you discouraging us, why don't you just shut up and go on your own way if you don't like things the way they are? (Because I think everyone deserves to know what they are getting into, especially at the rate of six figures. If I see another article "We just sold everything we owned and moved on the road!!!!!!", I think I am going to lose my lunch. If you read this as a fair warning, have the expendable income to go for it anyway, then have a ball. Once all this is over, I may be ready for a "new" 12 year old coach that you once drove. So keep that used market flooded and once those prices fall and people realize I'm not just blowing smoke with this warning, maybe I'll be inspired to look for another bargain)

What do you think ruined RVing? (Two things - super low gas prices and social media and as a result the massive move to the highway.)

What are your future plans (just trying to make it, that's it and trying to get a few more miles under my belt before I turn belly up. Constantly looking for a new place or a new path to get away from all these crowds. Keeping to myself any secret out of the way hiding places I have found that are left, those places that don't have any commercial attractions, are not publicized and that are peaceful and quiet. And also praying to God every time I see a young person pull into one of my spots that he won't blog or post to social media about it and thus ruin it forevermore.)
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #32

Triple E Owners Club
WOW
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juane View Post
My why's ...

Why do you appear so down on RVing when you have chosen to live in one (Because unfortunately I enjoyed one from way before the RV glut began over a decade ago spurred by rock bottom fuel prices and the Internet as it went wild with people who make money pretending that this lifestyle will save them from their own problems. The waiting lines and matrix to access any quality destinations today are atrocious in every direction, I can't get in to any facility I want to see anymore and it is making me more and more jaded as each year passes. Camping has turned into cutthroat, crowded lots more expensive than big city apartments and the only way to enjoy what these RVs once gave us is parking in back-woods locations, gas stations and a few remaining big box parking lots that allow it. And that's not to address the people out there who make a goal out of really being snarky and don't mind walking all over you to get what they want)

What are your future plans (just trying to make it, that's it and trying to get a few more miles under my belt before I turn belly up. Constantly looking for a new place or a new path to get away from all these crowds. Keeping to myself any secret out of the way hiding places I have found that are left, those places that don't have any commercial attractions, are not publicized and that are peaceful and quiet. And also praying to God every time I see a young person pull into one of my spots that he won't blog or post to social media about it and thus ruin it forevermore.)
D.J. I apologize for snipping your long Generally-Right-On earlier post down to what appears above ... but I have one small point kindof related to the above:

Maybe you have to try what myself and the DW hit upon some time ago -> RV camp where the "getaway city folks crowd" don't care to.

Try RV'ing out where there's few trees, few lakes, few rivers, and certainly no cute little side-of-the-road Biggest-Balls-of-Twine attractions or cute little side-of-the-road eating places ... AND ... definitely stay away from off-road motorcycle/ATV places!!

The Quiet Side of Life is out there -> just shy away from the places pictured in the TV adds for ... pickup trucks with a TC in the bed or pulling a tiny trailer OR .... SUVs with a tent on top.
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #34

Why answer?

When you're ready to check out of this big blue marble, you should not have the thought, "I wish I had done such and such but such and such questioned my joy and I became hesitant and backed out."

No one answers for your life but you.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Maybe you have to try what myself and the DW hit upon some time ago -> RV camp where the "getaway city folks crowd" don't care to.
Very kind of you to step in and offer some positive ideas. There must be one in a million these days I have to say who responds with this good attitude and you must be one of those good people my Grandma used to talk about, so my commendations to you.

It's just natural I suppose to throw a tantrum when you've had a lot of things in the past and lose them and such is the case that I and others talk about today. Seeking out like some say, that unknown spot you've camped for years on BLM land and there are 12 people in a circle covering where you once parked alone and with all of them in ATVs cutting doughnuts and "new country" blasting. It could tax a very level headed person from time to time.

I've actually found some really nice off the beaten path places (subject to loss via Instagram) and thus which keep me surviving. If I sounded harsh and unhappy, that is good because America is way-over-marketed-to and sometimes people need a slap in the face to see reality. And reality is, the brochures from the 60's and 70's and those settings are not quite like that these days. But then I take a reality check and have to ask is it really my job to try to bring some sense to someone who goes and mortgages his home or property for an expensive RV based on a social media sight he follows? Some people just can't be saved from themselves and it's like I sarcastically referred to, it's mostly these group's mistakes that feed the used market for the hard core who have adapted somewhat to the overcrowding.

And I'm still not saying that I smile every day when out on the road like I did 20 or even 10 years ago, at least I'm able to mostly adapt and when I don't, I go park behind a relative's barn in South Texas and feel sorry for myself.
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Very kind of you to step in and offer some positive ideas. There must be one in a million these days I have to say who responds with this good attitude and you must be one of those good people my Grandma used to talk about, so my commendations to you.

It's just natural I suppose to throw a tantrum when you've had a lot of things in the past and lose them and such is the case that I and others talk about today. Seeking out like some say, that unknown spot you've camped for years on BLM land and there are 12 people in a circle covering where you once parked alone and with all of them in ATVs cutting doughnuts and "new country" blasting. It could tax a very level headed person from time to time.

I've actually found some really nice off the beaten path places (subject to loss via Instagram) and thus which keep me surviving. If I sounded harsh and unhappy, that is good because America is way-over-marketed-to and sometimes people need a slap in the face to see reality. And reality is, the brochures from the 60's and 70's and those settings are not quite like that these days. But then I take a reality check and have to ask is it really my job to try to bring some sense to someone who goes and mortgages his home or property for an expensive RV based on a social media sight he follows? Some people just can't be saved from themselves and it's like I sarcastically referred to, it's mostly these group's mistakes that feed the used market for the hard core who have adapted somewhat to the overcrowding.

And I'm still not saying that I smile every day when out on the road like I did 20 or even 10 years ago, at least I'm able to mostly adapt and when I don't, I go park behind a relative's barn in South Texas and feel sorry for myself.
Here's one of those ultra-special jewels for RV'ers who have their everyday expenses under control enough so as to be able put some away for the occasional splurge on trying to simulate moving back in time to the good old reasonable days. I'm thinking about trying to round up some close RV'ing friends and give a try (I dare post it here because of the difficulty in socking enough away by most folks - but probably a plastic card could overcome that obstacle!):
Wild Billy Lake – Oregon Fly Fishing
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #37

Foretravel Owners Club
My Answer to the "Why" Question...
I have spent 5 decades watching bugs go splat on a windshield, and really interesting things pass by...@ 55/75 mph.
NOW.....I CAN stop and see everything I've had to just drive on by and wonder what that was...............(with fishing pole in hand)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Our CAT! That's why we got a MH.

The old pickup and camper were great for us, but then this very nice cat moved in with us. We felt bad about leaving her at home alone, and she loved being around people.

Spin forward 20 plus years, and we have another cat that doesn't like other people, hides under the easy chair while we drive, but still is not happy being alone. In fact he's laying on a chair next to me right now.

We go out with our rig 80% of the time with freinds, and the other 20% we just like exploring, and having our own kitchen and bed to be in every night.

Getting older, and having all our needs with us is pretty nice too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	309186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160423_193046.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	309187  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #39

Quote:
tting doughnuts and "new country" blasting. It could tax a very level headed person from time to time.

I've actually found some really nice off the beaten path places (subject to loss via Instagram) and thus which keep me surviving. If I sounded harsh and unhappy, that is good because America is way-over-marketed-to and sometimes people need a slap in the face to see reality. And reality is, the brochures from the 60's and 70's and those settings are not quite like that these days. But then I take a reality check and have to ask is it really my job to try to bring some sense to someone who goes and mortgages his home or self.
It's not just the 60-70s RV ads which I don't remember it's currently. That Camping World ad of the family parked along the pristine mountain lake with no one else around with the 3 kids and dogs running freely through the meadow. I'm still looking for that place?????

Other ads paint an unrealistic scenario such as UTVs roaring or the stream (think stream bed destruction).

Throw in the covid issue and people not knowing where they can go to stay safe, you have a lot of confusion and crowds.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInNM View Post
I get asked about this in a lot of threads as I learn- Why are you looking at expensive Rigs? Why are you looking at RVs at all at your age (45)? A lot of ‘WHY’? Fair question.

I flew darn near for a living for several years. Now, I hate airports in general. Don’t like flying either. Plus I’m really too big to fly- we circumfrentially challenged aren’t exactly welcomed on planes.

My wife is on oxygen and quite honestly the hassle of flying with oxygen is a pain in the six as they say.

I also LOVE driving. I originally wanted to be a truck driver, but medicine called louder to me. If what I do ever stops working out I’ll switch to it in a heartbeat- good honest work with a real ability to mark something “done” at the end of the day. That’s a luxury I don’t get now.

I like people generally. Especially quirky, bootstrappy, self-made people. I love learning from them even when I don’t like the message sometimes. These people inundate the Class A RV category from what I can see. These are my people.

RVs just are cool. Being in control of that much machine, having that much control over your life, and being independent is awesome. With that said I have all the mechanical skill of a gym sock, so I have a lot to learn. I know there’s a lot to know after the warranty ends, but I’d like a warranty as my training wheels.

Adventures don’t happen in tour groups or on main highways. I don’t want to do the same thing everyone did. I want to have an adventure with a flush toilet. I want to be able to say “screw it, this is perfect” and just park somewhere beautiful for awhile. No schedules, no check out, no flight changes, just me and my bride figuring it out as we go.

Every part of my life is regimented. Every hour is accounted for and billable. When I want to take a vacation I want to be underway in a couple hours and take whatever I can. An RV means freedom to me and I cannot wait...
The one thing i have noticed is that the big "WHY" question only comes from those that don't live this lifestyle. There are so many people doing this and most have their own reason for doing it but they all "get it". Its a lifestyle and for some its damn near a "calling".
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #41

Why? Well why not?

Because otherwise this old A/C tech would be stuck in a seniors home sitting around waiting to die. Forget it. That's 20 yrs down the road and I'm heading in the other direction.

As in all ads reality is totally different. So I will enjoy my camper, trade to a DSDP when the world returns to something like normal whatever that is and go look at this place they call North America, Earth, third rock from the Sun. Don't get lost now, you hear!
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #42

At first, I was put off by the thought of somebody asking "why?" But then I remembered how so many people cannot articulate why they think or do anything. They're just led by impulse, fed by TV and Internet. So the question the OP was asked is reasonable.

For us, its call of this wild, spectacular country. We have more natural beauty in our own country than any other country. Everything from the Grand Canyon to Denali. From Key West to Moab. And Americans drive everywhere. So we have more infrastructure to support an RV lifestyle than anywhere. Throw on some solar, some batteries, an inverter and some extra water, and you can camp anywhere for days or weeks.

Add to this scenery the diversity of food and drink, of interesting people, and just the ability to be outside so much. People think I'm crazy but food tastes better when eaten outside above 10,000 feet. RV's allow us to mix the wild outdoors with ridiculous creature comforts like streaming internet, prime rib and espressos. "That ain't campin'" is the joke we always say as we sit down to a gourmet meal and nice bottle of wine. We did our time in tents, and now we love the RV.

Then there's the freedom. Go anywhere, do what you like, and if people annoy you, shed them like bad skin. If we want to be close to a city (almost never) then we do it. If I want someplace to shoot 1,000 yards, we go there. And with this freedom comes responsibility. If something breaks, we fix it. If somebody falls down, we mend the injury. And I wear my "911" on a strong side holster. Life is for living, and the RV allows us to live it with the dials set to 11. We just bought a couple ebikes, and as soon as the bike rack arrives, I look forward to adding that to the open road experience.

"Why not?" is certainly a reasonable answer. Everybody has their own tastes and comforts, but I still wonder why this kind of experience doesn't call to everyone.
treeoflib is offline   Reply With Quote