RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

Red face What is your “why”?

I get asked about this in a lot of threads as I learn- Why are you looking at expensive Rigs? Why are you looking at RVs at all at your age (45)? A lot of ‘WHY’? Fair question.

I flew darn near for a living for several years. Now, I hate airports in general. Don’t like flying either. Plus I’m really too big to fly- we circumfrentially challenged aren’t exactly welcomed on planes.

My wife is on oxygen and quite honestly the hassle of flying with oxygen is a pain in the six as they say.

I also LOVE driving. I originally wanted to be a truck driver, but medicine called louder to me. If what I do ever stops working out I’ll switch to it in a heartbeat- good honest work with a real ability to mark something “done” at the end of the day. That’s a luxury I don’t get now.

I like people generally. Especially quirky, bootstrappy, self-made people. I love learning from them even when I don’t like the message sometimes. These people inundate the Class A RV category from what I can see. These are my people.

RVs just are cool. Being in control of that much machine, having that much control over your life, and being independent is awesome. With that said I have all the mechanical skill of a gym sock, so I have a lot to learn. I know there’s a lot to know after the warranty ends, but I’d like a warranty as my training wheels.

Adventures don’t happen in tour groups or on main highways. I don’t want to do the same thing everyone did. I want to have an adventure with a flush toilet. I want to be able to say “screw it, this is perfect” and just park somewhere beautiful for awhile. No schedules, no check out, no flight changes, just me and my bride figuring it out as we go.

Every part of my life is regimented. Every hour is accounted for and billable. When I want to take a vacation I want to be underway in a couple hours and take whatever I can. An RV means freedom to me and I cannot wait...
MichaelInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not!! Would be my reply to the inquirers.

Go for it.

Oh and by the way...turn off your cellphone when you leave town, makes life more enjoyable with no calls and no texts.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Because I can!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

There is only one correct answer! BECAUSE!!!
Old 11-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

Good for you both! If you choose the correct RV to fit both of you, the rest of your days will be an adventure.
As to after the factory warranty runs out, investigate purchasing an extended service contract to help pay for repairs(broken items) to the RV. These do not cover normal wear and tear items that need to be replaced, like shocks, tires- worn-out items.
Do the groundwork before making a decision or spending money. When you both find an RV you like, spend a few hours inside as if you are living in it already, doing what each of you normally do during 24 hrs.
Why? You will be happier in the end.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freedom is a great thing!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #7

"Because I want to" is all the answer you need. It's your life and your choice.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #8

Great post!

Echoes many of my thoughts
Old 11-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Some people sit on the couch and wonder why?
Some people do very little and get the same results and wonder why?
We choose to do what we like and at our age "we should"
Why? because we like it!
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:25 PM   #10

I camped when I was younger. When I got a little older I would camp with nothing but a small tent that could be carried on a motorcycle. Years on I kind of had the urge to go again but DW had differing early experiences. She was not enthused but allowed it might be doable if she had her own bathroom along with. About that time a friend inherited a small camper trailer he didn't want. Minimal, but technically it had a bathroom. It went over well. Even better when kids and grandkids came with. But it didn't suit me so much.

One day I saw a big old class A on the road with a for sale sign. I liked the looks and idea of it and figured I could make one of those happen. That one got away but the hunt was on. Son in law knew a guy who knew a guy and I got hooked up. DW had a very low opinion of it as she seemed to only see the faults in it but told me to do what I wanted. Later she said I was in "runaway train" mode so she knew it was inevitable.

After about a month of me sprucing the RV up she came in and asked what size the bed was. For the covers she wanted to buy. Not long after that she had some of her friends over and was showing it off like she had personally picked it out. After a couple of good trips and a night with TV and AC when the whole neighborhood's power was out she's firmly on board with it.

It's a big old gawky thing. Rather faded from what it used to be but still very nice. I'm having great fun fixing it up and lots of fun camping with it. So "for fun" I guess is my short answer.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:54 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
To the question about your age (meaning the assumption that RV's are only for retirement aged folks), consider that your friends wouldn't blink if you said you were going to buy a boat to enjoy adventures and downtime. I hade a boat, but I was limited to just the waters and shores within a reasonable cruising distance. My land yacht allows me to roam much more freely.

My late wife had oxygen tanks and concentrator that made travel, even by car to hotels, a real pain. The RV gave us freedom to be spontaneous without the logistical nightmare of hauling all her attachments in and out of hotels.

Go for it! Life is too short to sit around and just wonder "if".
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:14 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Good post and the reason is:
Because I can!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:33 AM   #13

It takes me 2 days to pack for a trip
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Age means nothing, it is a number... Regardless of size or prices of an RV.. WHY, it is not really becasue "you can" or "a freedom" to me..
It is more becasue I am able and I want to do it....

I am a planner ,, not anal but close to it. Like to be early and or ontime .. Well thought plan, figure probable possibilities... BUT never at the expense of keeping it fun....becasue it this is not enjoyed then what is the point of it all...

I have been pretty much a free spirit but knew boundaries of right and wrong and consiquence and respect. If I wanted to go for a 3 or 4 hours ride at 6pm to the beach or gig just becasue it seemed like I could, so be it. I was always back by 8am for work or school if it was scheduled.. never a regret just some great stories to sit and tell by the campfire LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote