Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
!5 years for me and never winterized.

I have to admit, I pretty spoiled by our weather here in CA. No need to winterize . Use the toys all year around!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Doh! I have never winterized in 29 years!
Same here.... I never winterize and yes it does get very cold in the Ozarks. When not on the road I keep it plugged up with heat set on about 40 degrees. No problems in past 8 years. Plus we travel a lot during the winter so it doesn’t make much sense to keep winterizing.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #17

Add me to the list of people who've never done that. What does winterizing involve? I would guess at the least draining all the liquid from the camper. I think I've seen mention of anti-freeze elsewhere.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #18

STOP.

Asking a guy from southern CA, south TX or south FL whether they winterize is a NON-ISSUE.

Better to ask if those in areas where below freezing temperatures are expected winterize.

I say that as someone who has never winterized in two decades of coach ownership. But the critical point is that we never had the coach in an area where below freezing temperature were present for more than a very few hours.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #19

Speaking for those in cold areas:

Many people neglect proper winterization.

Once.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:35 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
My local super good Expert RV Repair starts booking winterizing appointments in May. He will start doing them in early October and do 10-15 a day. I had my new to me DP in for routine service on October 10 last year. The shop guys started pulling the winterizing cart around towards my rig only to hear the owner yell NO NO NO. Oil and filters. Engine and Generator. The techs looked a little dumbfounded. Took them a couple minutes to shift gears.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I have to admit, I pretty spoiled by our weather here in CA. No need to winterize . Use the toys all year around!

Ditto (from Northern California). We may actually use our RV more in the winter time. When it is 105 in the summertime, the only place we can go is over to the coast. And all the coastal destinations in California are really crowded in the summer.
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
STOP.

Asking a guy from southern CA, south TX or south FL whether they winterize is a NON-ISSUE.

Better to ask if those in areas where below freezing temperatures are expected winterize.

I say that as someone who has never winterized in two decades of coach ownership. But the critical point is that we never had the coach in an area where below freezing temperature were present for more than a very few hours.
Got down to 10 below zero here last winter and in the teens for several days. Stays below freezing about 50% of the time during winter months. Does that about every year in the Ozarks in Missouri and I still don’t winterize. Keep it plugged in and set at 40... good to go. We use our coach a lot so to us, winterizing is a waste of time and money.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, wonder how many damaged RV water systems in Texas last winter.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yeah, wonder how many damaged RV water systems in Texas last winter.
Not sure that anomaly of weather counts towards to the number of people that failed to winterize their RV
Old 08-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #25

I have a plan to winterize ours this year.........We are getting the hell outta Dodge. The boss and I plan to visit all the Nevada State Parks south of Beatty. Maybe hit up around Quartzite and Rich Hill, (I will find something smaller than a Buick with that damn beeper yet.) Maybe even go over to San Diego and go to the zoo and such, lived there 19 years never went. The ultimmate winterrizing, take it where it don't get that cold!
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
I wonder what percentage of newbies will not winterize their rv and suffer freeze damage this winter...

My guess is about 33%.

Your post should say people that have freezing winters not people that live in Florida or California. Anyway I have never not winterize just like I carry insurance.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:32 AM   #27

I'm in MN and I'm thinking about 25% haven't a clue.
There is a lot of dumb people out there.
And that's dumb with a capital D.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #28

about 33%

I think it will be closer to 33.01789 %
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter, winterize