Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm all for reducing ALL freeway speed limits to 50-55 mph and 4-5 digit speeding tickets for violations higher than 5-10 mph over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is another example of "one size fit all" thinking. My coach gets its best mileage at about 62 mph. I had a '94 Cadillac that I got 28 mpg at 85 mph. I got 23 at 65. Law enforcement doesn't have the manpower to properly enforce the speed laws now. Where are they going to get it too enforce lower ones.

Let's get reasonable environmental laws, drill wells in the US and coastal waters, and build some up to date efficient refineries. Of course to do that, we're going to have to get rid of all the life-time politicians in Washington and replace them with some sensible business persons.

Bear in mind, anytime government restricts a persons freedom of choice they are taking away some of this stuff we call freedom. Do it only with the greatest of caution. It is what this nation has been built on, and many have sacrificed all to maintain it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #30

historyljc, thanks for you thoughts and strait forward thinking! jim.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm all for reducing ALL freeway speed limits to 50-55 mph and 4-5 digit speeding tickets for violations higher than 5-10 mph over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is another example of "one size fit all" thinking. My coach gets its best mileage at about 62 mph. I had a '94 Cadillac that I got 28 mpg at 85 mph. I got 23 at 65. Law enforcement doesn't have the manpower to properly enforce the speed laws now. Where are they going to get it too enforce lower ones.

Let's get reasonable environmental laws, drill wells in the US and coastal waters, and build some up to date efficient refineries. Of course to do that, we're going to have to get rid of all the life-time politicians in Washington and replace them with some sensible business persons.

Bear in mind, anytime government restricts a persons freedom of choice they are taking away some of this stuff we call freedom. Do it only with the greatest of caution. It is what this nation has been built on, and many have sacrificed all to maintain it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same way they do red light cameras. Speed cam trucks are used quite abit around here. Just put one permanently mounted camera aimed at each lane on an overpass and contract it out to a private company in the same way they do red light cameras.

If you are getting vehicles that manage to get better mpgs when they go faster (When physics dictates that past 45mph, your burning an exponentially increasing curve of fuel to overcome wind resistance, everything up to that point is proportionately used to over come rolling resistance of the vehicles own weight) you are fortunate to have very unique luck. Every truck, trailer, and van I have ever operated has always gotten better mpgs at 55mph, than at higher speeds.

In the terms of RVs, I can squeeze 9-10 mpg out of my gas engine with my camper at 50-55mph, and 7-8mpg at speeds 60 and above.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Speed cam tickets the car instead of the driver. Unless of course they are taking a picture of the driver inside the car.

Either way speeding tickets should only be issued by police officers.

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 AM   #33
CD

(If we would ALL "TAKE OUR FOOT OUT OF IT",)
My original post was not intended to suggest lowering speed limits but to reduce fuel consumption at whatever speed that works best. I have found that using less petal all the time saves gas. Accelerating slower, following farther back doesn't commit you to the speed up/slow down actions of many drivers which uses more fuel. When you get up to speed as fast as you can only saves a few seconds and uses lots of fuel. At the next light you will probably be behind the driver that left you at the last light.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sadly, the only real way to get folks "FOOT OUT OF IT" is to reduce the speed limits and put in place higher punitive punishments for those that choose not to.

Personally, I've long been an advocate of changing the minimum age to get a drivers license as well. Here in oregon, you can get a drivers license as early as 16. I've always been of the belief that public safety as a whole would be better served by changing that to a minimum age of 18 and graduated from High School.

This not only alleviates problems in neighborhoods where high schools no longer have enough space for all the student cars and students park in front of private residences, taking parking space from the people who live there. (This has been an on going problem with South Salem High School and its surrounding neighborhood), but also takes that many more cars off the road.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe we could get middle aged woman off the road to so I can have an easier time parking at the malls
Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
I have THE answer . . .

Rationing . . . that's would make us all change our habits!

&gt;&gt;TongueBeingTakenOutOfCheek&lt;&lt;

SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Ya rationing would make rving lots of fun.

We are going seasonal this year. That should save us a few hundred in gas and will only cost us 1800.

Steve
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #38

We just drove 1800 miles home. Set the speed at 53 by the gps, and coach said 59. We averaged 11-12.75 depending how you want to look at it. The gps says the coach odometer is 9% off.

Never the less figuring by gps and deducting the 9% we got over 11 mpg, figure by coach it was over 12.

This is on a 99 Suncruiser pulling an 18 foot trailer with a Jeep Wrangler, 2 atv's 2 spare tires, and firewood and other stuff. I am sure we are close to 30,000 lbs. Have never weighed though

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote