Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 10:52 PM   #11355

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Installation video I watched showed where you block off the overhead outlet, just like you do when you close the louvers, but permanently with silver tape.

Am I looking at a different product? Were you able to keep your overhead outlet with on and off option as before?
SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 05:26 AM   #11356

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC40QS View Post
Installation video I watched showed where you block off the overhead outlet, just like you do when you close the louvers, but permanently with silver tape.

Am I looking at a different product? Were you able to keep your overhead outlet with on and off option as before?
You lose your over head air dump when installing this product. No it does not restrict your air conditioner flow and your duct work should cool your coach as well or better than the dump. Consider most of the high end coaches don't have an overhead air dump and rely strictly on the vents. There are videos on how to check for and repair probable causes of poor duct air flow. The price may seem high to you but he spent the time, energy and knowledge to design it, then find a source of manufacturing plus the process of applying for the patent. It works very well and I have no problem paying for a USA designed and manufactured product that does what it is advertised to do
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #11357
YC1

Overhead outlet gets blocked. It is a large source of the noise. In my prototype I even added sound deadening material. Didn't help much but I was throwing everything possible at the AC's to quiet them.

We have a 15K unit in the bedroom and that is a small area to make any noise in. My prototype actually took air from the end versus the bottom of the cover area. I pointed that end away from the head of our bed. Overall the difference in noise was barely measurable. Maybe 1 db.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #11358

Tiffin Owners Club
USB/12v outlet for bedroom
Tore out the booth dinette and jackknife sofa.
New 3 piece drop leaf table and chairs in.
New tri-fold sofa comes in today.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #11359

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Dual Power Recliner

Replaced the original Flexsteel jackknife sleeper sofa with a very comfortable Rec Pro Dual power recliner with center console. Wish I had done it years ago!! Don't know why picture is sideways not that way in my file. and no way to rotate once downloaded, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rec Pro Reciner 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	284544  
Deepsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #11360

Tiffin Owners Club
We will know tomorrow but I think we bought a new toad for our beast. It will be a 2020 Trail hawk.
We are a bit excited.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #11361

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was going to say a new rear cap, but they did such a good job of removing the old one, repairing the damage, repainting and reinstalling it that it just looks like a new one...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #11362

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
You lose your over head air dump when installing this product. No it does not restrict your air conditioner flow and your duct work should cool your coach as well or better than the dump. Consider most of the high end coaches don't have an overhead air dump and rely strictly on the vents. There are videos on how to check for and repair probable causes of poor duct air flow. The price may seem high to you but he spent the time, energy and knowledge to design it, then find a source of manufacturing plus the process of applying for the patent. It works very well and I have no problem paying for a USA designed and manufactured product that does what it is advertised to do
Tom
OK, I have considered your response and I will respond based on my ten week trek two years ago.

Again, based on what I saw in the install video, installers are instructed to block off the AC overhead outlet completely. This is the one that you can open via the slide outlet.

Once again..

I would not want to give up the ability to keep my coach comfortable just to pad someone's pocket with this product.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #11363

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sound meter app

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Overhead outlet gets blocked. It is a large source of the noise. In my prototype I even added sound deadening material. Didn't help much but I was throwing everything possible at the AC's to quiet them.

We have a 15K unit in the bedroom and that is a small area to make any noise in. My prototype actually took air from the end versus the bottom of the cover area. I pointed that end away from the head of our bed. Overall the difference in noise was barely measurable. Maybe 1 db.
you can download a sound meter app for your phone. Then you'll know for sure if you are making any progress. I will be doing my AC unit soon with 80mil sound damping material. And already have the app on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20200508-155649_Sound Meter.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	284653  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #11364

Quote:
OK, I have considered your response and I will respond based on my ten week trek two years ago.

Again, based on what I saw in the install video, installers are instructed to block off the AC overhead outlet completely. This is the one that you can open via the slide outlet.

Once again..

I would not want to give up the ability to keep my coach comfortable just to pad someone's pocket with this product.
I see your point and you are absolutely correct. Don't buy it!
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #11365
YC1

Sheesh, I live in Central Florida. I have had silencers for more than three years now. Not these of course, my own home made ones. I had a decent sound meter when I started the quest to make them less noisy.

Discovering the poorly put together vent system and improving that just about doubled my air flow.

The downward dump of the original covers were noisy even when closed and just to loud when the fan was running full tilt and they were open. We live full time so having nice quiet AC's is worth the few bucks they cost. Less than an oil change.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:47 AM   #11366

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Sheesh, I live in Central Florida. I have had silencers for more than three years now. Not these of course, my own home made ones. I had a decent sound meter when I started the quest to make them less noisy.

Discovering the poorly put together vent system and improving that just about doubled my air flow.

The downward dump of the original covers were noisy even when closed and just to loud when the fan was running full tilt and they were open. We live full time so having nice quiet AC's is worth the few bucks they cost. Less than an oil change.
I'm confused? You state

Quote:
I have had silencers for more than three years now. Not these of course, my own home made ones.
And then you write

Quote:
We live full time so having nice quiet AC's is worth the few bucks they cost.
Are you using your home made filters or the ones we're talking about?

I think the main point is can you reduce the sound level of the overhead outlet without completely losing it?

As of right now, if I slide the overhead vent closed, the noise level is acceptable, if it's really hot outside, the comfort level can suffer.

Again, your post is confusing..
Old 05-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #11367
YC1

Quote:
I'm confused? You state

And then you write

Are you using your home made filters or the ones we're talking about?

I think the main point is can you reduce the sound level of the overhead outlet without completely losing it?

As of right now, if I slide the overhead vent closed, the noise level is acceptable, if it's really hot outside, the comfort level can suffer.

Again, your post is confusing..
Sorry, clear as mud I guess.

I spent countless hours designing my own mufflers and had great success but they are labor intensive and would not have been as universal as the ones I just bought.

The sound level in my rv was really annoying. Chasing the television sound level up and down was a pain.

I removed mine and installed one of these. I compared the db levels and they were within 1 db of each other. I must admit mine was the winner but by a mere 1 db it was not detectable by ear.

These look very nice and have a great filter. I was never able to address the filter problem as well as I wanted to.

The results from the first install of the new ones was so good I bought one for the bedroom too.

One of the difficulties in designing these is the filter. I found on mine that just about all filter materials seriously reduced the air flow. The factory 1/4 inch filters were not very efficient.

The only draw back of the new mufflers is having to remove four screws to vacuum the filter. The filter stays in place.

I may try to find some knurled/knob type screws so a screwdriver is not necessary.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #11368

Bought 2 Parking Brake switches (one spare). Freightliner stores don't stock them. We tried six driving from Naples, Fl, to Denver, last week. When broken, the parking brake switches off and on and triggers a locking and unlocking clamer in the front door. We tuned it out even though it was loud.

Also bought extra fuel and oil filters and an engine belt so that the next time we have a part fail we won't sit on the side of the road for six hours waiting for a tow. A road side service can install the part if we have the right one.

Just before we headed home we replace eight seven year old 305x70x22.5 tires. Took all day to have them installed, but we got five hours of driving in after the install in Ft. Meyers, FL.