Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #1

We are now, hallelujah, one week into our life as fulltimers! The plan is to go through the northern Plains states to Seattle from southwest Pittsburgh from June through October. Please tell us what we shouldn't miss on this trip. You guys should know! Thanks.
pennie_gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #2

We are now, hallelujah, one week into our life as fulltimers! The plan is to go through the northern Plains states to Seattle from southwest Pittsburgh from June through October. Please tell us what we shouldn't miss on this trip. You guys should know! Thanks.
pennie_gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulatoins and many happy safe miles. I could sugjest Wall drug, Devels tower, Mount rushmore, Yosimity, Grand tetons, Jackson hole, Mirror lake and when you get that far we can keep on going because this is a big beutiful country we live in with lots of things to see. When I was 18 I left home because I wanted to see every thing I could in the USA and now I an 65 and still traveling. HAPPY TRAILS Buy the way I almost forgot the Gateway arc in St.louis has a real nice westward expansion museum below it and other things that make it worth the stop.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have a great time. Just stop when you see something interesting. In my 40 years of traveling, I saw some of the best when I wasn't looking for them.
Side roads and small towns have the best places. They are not on the map, so explore. You have the time.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Good Luck on your travel adventures.
We have been traveling semi-full time for the last 20 months.
Took off 3 months last summer, than back on the road. Started this trip in Mystic, Conn. worked our way south thru PA. No further West than Gettysburg. Than back over to the East Coast, down thru Wash DC to Myrtle Beach SC to 3 months in different areas of Florida over New Orleans Area to San Antonio TX up to Dallas/Fort Worth,Little Rock, AR, Brandson MO, now sitting in Kansas City area, over to ST. Louis, then up to factory. In between those Cities many side trips
In 8 months we found more out of the way places that we just had to stop and see, places other than the big tourist attractions.
The only reason we are moving this fast is a May date with the factory and wanted to see as much as we could. After the factory we have about 6 weeks to explore the Chicago area, than 2 weeks of Rallies, pick up 2 grandkids and explore New England and Canada for the summer.
When in any giving area we travel with the toad up to 100 miles.
OK, end of my rambling, what I am saying is don't set goals to be anywhere on a certian date unless you have to, just enjoy the travels and sites.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #6

Don't forget Carhenge!
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
pennie_gone,
Not knowing your interests, this may be a shot in the dark. I do not travel in anything resembling a straight line. My last trip, it took me a month to get from West Palm Beach To Pensacola, Florida. These places, will keep you, sort of, on your route to Seattle. There is much more to see and do than is here. My overall suggestion is to stop at each state's welcome center and get brochures and advice. In addition to what has been posted and staying in the Northern plains states consider:
South Dakota
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Mitchel - Corn Palace and Prehistoric Indian Village
<LI>Exit 150 off I90 is Petrified Gardens This is a really nice, little know jewel of an attraction.
<LI>Exit 131 off I90 is the start of the Minute Man Missile Nat. Historic Site tour. Go here for details. One needs to call for reservations well in advance. This is something you will never forget. We had an x launch officer as our tour guide.
<LI>Exit 131 off I90 is the east entrance to the Badlands. There are many, many things to do.
The scenery is great and the hiking trails are outstanding.
<LI>Unless you like motorcycles, stay away from Western SD during the first half of August. Bike week peaks August 2-9.
<LI>Crazy Horse Memorial
<LI>Mt. Rushmore
<LI>Agout 100 miles South of Spearfish is the Mamoth Site in Hot Springs.
<LI>North of Belle Fourche is the geographic center of the USA. Warning: Stop in Belle Fourche, at the welcome center to get directions. This is not easy to find.[/list]Wyoming
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Delil's Tower National Monument about exit 187 off I90
<LI>Between exits 44 and 9 there is an abundance of old west type stires to see. Ft. Phil Kearny Historic site is a good example.
<LI> Exit 9 off I90 go West about 50 miles on Rt 14 then ALT 14 to The Medicine Wheel National Historic site. This is the Stonehedge of the USA. Warning: This is not a trip for your coach. Drive the car. You will be right at 10K above sea level. You will also need to walk the last two miles to the site. It is up hill both ways! (there is a dip in the path). Dress warm, there will be snow on the ground at least through June. At the junction of Rt 14 and ALT 14 there is a lodge and restaurant. This is a good place to have a meal.[/list]Montana
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Exit 514 and 510 off I90 is the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument.
<LI>Around Missoula will be the exit to turn North and go to Glacier National Park. This is my favorite National Park. If you do this park, allow about 3 weeks of your schedule to get back to Missoula and head West. The hiking is absolutely the best in the USA. Grinnell Glacier (an active glacier) and Iceberg Lake are two of my favorite hikes.[/list]Idaho
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Just after crossing into Idaho, there should be an exit for Grove of Ancient Ceders[/list]Washington
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Around Ritzville (about exit 221) is the Burroughs Wheatland Museum[/list]
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by speed racer:
Wall drug, Devels tower, Mount rushmore, Yosimity, Grand tetons, Jackson hole, Mirror lake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
All good suggestions. Except Yosemite is in California, nowhere near pennie_gone's route.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #9

One thing we missed, regrettably, was the site of the Little Big Horn battle. Have been told, by many, that is a real experience.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #10

One of the most wonderful experiences we enjoyed is probably not a well known place. Right off I-94 in western ND is a town called Medora (close to the MT border). This place is in Theodore Roosevelt National Badlands Park.

They have a musical that runs every evening all summer long. It's actually more of a variety show & it will take your breath away. Set in an outdoor amphitheater in one of the bluffs of the badlands it is simply a fabulous experience. They have cowboys on horseback, etc.

When we went some of the elk from the badlands were getting too close to the theatre so some of the cowboy/actors had to ride towards them to shoo them away.

The show begins at dusk & it's very entertaining for all ages. They also have a campground in town FYI. If interested you might do a google search on Medora, ND as there is a lot of history in that town. Can't wait to go again.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Riverdog is right. Medora is a great place to put on your list.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
We liked Custer State Park in SD. Not to be confused with the site of Custer's Last Stand which is in MT. We were there in the mid 70's.

Custer State Park has the largest herd of free range buffalo in the US. The park is located in the Black Hills not far from Devils Tower. Don't get out of the car when you come upon a herd. They can be extremely dangerous.

If I recall correctly they also had some prairie dog towns where you could see all the prairie dogs standing around their holes.

http://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/Regions/Custer/

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I forgot to add this in the previous post. Everything out West is huge when it comes to distances. To save on fuel it will be really important to choose a CG central to the area you are visiting. It is not uncommon for me to set up a 100-150 mile radius and drive the toad to see what I want to see, before moving the coach to the next CG.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #14

Five more things to see / do

Yellowstone national park
==&gt; geysers, falls, wildlife

Tetons
==&gt; Lake Jenny, moose, bears

Glacier national Park
==&gt; going to the sun highway (toad only)

Multnoma(sp) Falls in Oregon

Oregon coast
==&gt; Fort Clatsop

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote