Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What websites and apps do you find essential?

In addition to irv2.com, what internet tools do you use most often as an RVer?

I use a dump sites app on my ipad to find free dumpsites, google maps to find where I'm going and how far it is. Since I'm never in a hurry and dislike a "thing" telling me what to do I have avoided getting a GPS. I enjoy the satellite view. Take a look at the painted desert sometime -- then go see it for real.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few of the apps we have used are:

Oh, Ranger - an app that provides information of nearby parks
Rest Area - an app that lets you know where the rest areas are - essential for our trip planning!
RVpark Finder - a good overview of parks in the area

We just hit the road, so I am sure there will be more to add to that list as we find things we need information on!
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
For traveling I sometimes use these to get a feel for campgrounds.
RV Park Reviews :: Home
Campgrounds
We Called It Home
I also search http://gasbuddy.com/gb_map_gas_prices.aspx to get a feel for fuel prices.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Favorites on my Droid:

GasBuddy, easy to see nearby gas prices, use it at home and on the road. Interesting how local gas "wars" are. According to local TV news, the statewide average for regular is $3.68, Saturday the Costco price was $3.49 . . . using GasBuddy, I filled up 2 towns over (and I needed to go that way) for $3.43.

Radar Now, excellent for weather radar.

YouTube, perhaps not thought of as an app, but the amount of D.I.Y. info and videos is amazing.

ShopSavvy, barcode scanner with local and online price comparisons and reviews. I'm a bargain shopper . . . now I can verify a deal when I see it and buy instead of waiting to "shop around".

SeekDroid, haven't had to use it yet, tracks a lost phone using built-in GPS, alarms phone with sound and text, can lock and "wipe" data from a lost phone.

iRV2, self explanatory!

Key Ring, I hate carrying store "loyalty" cards but I want my discounts!

Battery Solo Widget, keeps track of battery charge level, condition and temp.

CamScanner, easy way to scan and record documents THEN email them. Way better than searching for a fax machine!

PLUS . . . 2 new apps that I just got so I'm not completely recommending them yet.

Waze, social network style, web-based GPS software that uses live and historical data from other Waze users to predict traffic and road speeds to select optimum route for the day of the week and time you are traveling. Allows live reporting of traffic, accidents and speed traps. Looks promising but seems to have a 200 mile limit for routing. Maybe not ideal but I'm going to try it for an upcoming trip I have where I'm looking for the best way through/around NYC & DC.

Daily Roads Voyager, turns your smartphone into an auto DVR/"blackbox" records video (and audio if you wish), speed and GPS coordinates. Gives you proof of what happened prior to an accident.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

We use an app called Yellowbook on the ipad. Type in the name or the type of business, and it will list them. It will also give you directions.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just got our 1st RV a month ago, but we have always took 2 or 3 car vacation a year. I have found now, that the only computer I will ever need
Is the iPad. Of course, there are other pads out there, and the droid ones are very good also. When we go full time, we will iPad only.
IRV2, of course, Allstays camp and RV, ( not free, $3.99) is a good app also, shows you state parks, national parks, BLM, walmarts, other overnight parking, private camps, public camps, it actually shows you Bridge heights, fuel and propane locations, repair areas, and so many other things.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
Favorites on my Droid:

GasBuddy, easy to see nearby gas prices, use it at home and on the road. Interesting how local gas "wars" are. According to local TV news, the statewide average for regular is $3.68, Saturday the Costco price was $3.49 . . . using GasBuddy, I filled up 2 towns over (and I needed to go that way) for $3.43.

Radar Now, excellent for weather radar.

YouTube, perhaps not thought of as an app, but the amount of D.I.Y. info and videos is amazing.

ShopSavvy, barcode scanner with local and online price comparisons and reviews. I'm a bargain shopper . . . now I can verify a deal when I see it and buy instead of waiting to "shop around".

SeekDroid, haven't had to use it yet, tracks a lost phone using built-in GPS, alarms phone with sound and text, can lock and "wipe" data from a lost phone.

iRV2, self explanatory!

Key Ring, I hate carrying store "loyalty" cards but I want my discounts!

Battery Solo Widget, keeps track of battery charge level, condition and temp.

CamScanner, easy way to scan and record documents THEN email them. Way better than searching for a fax machine!

PLUS . . . 2 new apps that I just got so I'm not completely recommending them yet.

Waze, social network style, web-based GPS software that uses live and historical data from other Waze users to predict traffic and road speeds to select optimum route for the day of the week and time you are traveling. Allows live reporting of traffic, accidents and speed traps. Looks promising but seems to have a 200 mile limit for routing. Maybe not ideal but I'm going to try it for an upcoming trip I have where I'm looking for the best way through/around NYC & DC.

Daily Roads Voyager, turns your smartphone into an auto DVR/"blackbox" records video (and audio if you wish), speed and GPS coordinates. Gives you proof of what happened prior to an accident.
Ken
THANK YOU. Those were great selections, especially KEY RING, love it !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
In addition to using many sites and apps, that are already listed, I use ceoexpress.com every day. It has lists of links to MANY news, financial, health, weather, travel, real estate, research, auto, etc. sites. And, it has a lot more than that. It even has links to homework help sites for students.
And, every day the editor tells you about a web site that you might find very interesting and never knew about. It's a great way to start finding most anything.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #9

There is no app, or website, among other things, that I consider essential.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky
In addition to irv2.com, what internet tools do you use most often as an RVer?

I use a dump sites app on my ipad to find free dumpsites, google maps to find where I'm going and how far it is. Since I'm never in a hurry and dislike a "thing" telling me what to do I have avoided getting a GPS. I enjoy the satellite view. Take a look at the painted desert sometime -- then go see it for real.
RV park finder
I Exit
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ken-55, thanks for the tip on Key Ring. I have my daily driver in Alaska, a daily driver in Ohio and 2 MHs, Never seem to have the right key ring with with the needed loyalty card with me.

Problem solved, thanks
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Ken-55, thanks for the tip on Key Ring. I have my daily driver in Alaska, a daily driver in Ohio and 2 MHs, Never seem to have the right key ring with with the needed loyalty card with me.

Problem solved, thanks
No problem, just so you know . . . some of the scanners have trouble reading the bar code on the smartphone screen (particularly the ones built into the register counter), the handheld (gun type) scanners work best. If it won't scan, the card's number also shows on your screen and the clerk can enter the number and you're fine. Sometimes it slows me down a few seconds BUT I always get my discount (or gas points at the local grocery store) and I don't have to carry a bunch of cards. Works for me!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Once setup, I use:

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com to setup my satellite dish.
Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. to find the closest Wally World.
I'll check pharmacy websites to find local pharmacies when needed.

During trips, I plan the trip ahead of time so I know my route. I may need to check various states DOT sites in case interstates are closed. Over the summer going from Texas to Sioux Falls, SD I used the Iowa, Nebraska DOT sites to track the status of I-29 flooding and see what the alternate routes were given. Tomorrow we will be going thru Arkansas. Will need to check the Arkasas DOT to see if I-30 is open again (flooded from heavy rains yesterday).

That's about it.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #14

Initial thoughts on Waze . . .

I've been using this social network style, web-based GPS software for less than a week so YMMV.

I like it! Probably won't completely replace my Garmin BUT compliments it nicely. I took a short, 25 mile trip yesterday . . . first "alert" along my route warned of a car on the shoulder ahead, when I got there it was gone BUT there was a button on the alert where I could tap "GONE" so drivers behind me wouldn't get the alert.

A few miles down the road I noticed a short "red" section of the map that I was routed through (no associated alert) . . . when I got there, there was a truck broken down in the right hand lane of a 2 lane road. I guess a few fellow "Wazers" had gone before me and their short delay was noted.

This has potential! Keep in mind, Waze archives users data and creates traffic profiles based on day of the week and time of the day and uses that data to recommend the best route for when you will be traveling. It does not have data for holidays, so keep that in mind . . . probably where the live data will help the most.

Waze has another interesting feature . . . GROUPS!

You can remain anonymous AND even "ghost" your location on others screens if you choose OR . . . you can join a group and SHARE your location on the screens of other Wazers in your group.

With that in mind, I've created a iRV2 Waze group . . . think of it as an electronic "placard" that's on the GPS screen instead of hanging from my ladder.

You can "ping" member with a message that pops up on their screen (you can also block pings). It would be great for sharing important info or just saying "Hi!"

Yesterday on the way to work I called a co-worker who had just installed Waze and had beat me to work . . . he booted it up while sitting in work and was able to see me approaching, pretty cool!

I hope the powers to be here aren't offended that my group is called "iRV2". Feel free to join! If I get some good feedback, I'll start a new thread just for Waze.

Thanks!