Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm wondering if this is what causes our terrible ride over even the smallest expansion joint. RV came with F range Michelins and I'm running G range Dunlops at 85 psi in the front (using the Goodyear tire chart)
Probably NOT, assuming the tire size is otherwise identical. The higher load range basically just extends the inflation chart to higher load values at higher psi. Where the G overlaps the F in the chart, the inflation pressures should be the same. The slightly stiffer sidewalls make very little difference, usually imperceptible.
However, you also changed brand & tire model, so there may be differences in construction that make the Dunlops stiffer.

Modern tires don't increase the number of plies like in the old days - they just use stronger materials in the sidewalls & belts to get a higher capacity.

Radial ply tires are inherently springy and supple in the sidewalls due to the "radial" direction of the cords that form it. That's why they bulge or squat more than bias-ply construction.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I'm wondering if this is what causes our terrible ride over even the smallest expansion joint. RV came with F range Michelins and I'm running G range Dunlops at 85 psi in the front (using the Goodyear tire chart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Probably NOT, assuming the tire size is otherwise identical. The higher load range basically just extends the inflation chart to higher load values at higher psi. Where the G overlaps the F in the chart, the inflation pressures should be the same. The slightly stiffer sidewalls make very little difference, usually imperceptible.
However, you also changed brand & tire model, so there may be differences in construction that make the Dunlops stiffer.

Modern tires don't increase the number of plies like in the old days - they just use stronger materials in the sidewalls & belts to get a higher capacity.

Radial ply tires are inherently springy and supple in the sidewalls due to the "radial" direction of the cords that form it. That's why they bulge or squat more than bias-ply construction.
It's been a few years so i don't remember where i got the information from. I do remember being told that the Sailun tires had 2, or it might have even been 4, more plies than the Michelins they replaced. I'm guessing it was the tire dealer who told me that. Also, to make the tires happy, the minimum i could run was 80 psi. You may be right that neither of these contributed to the harsh ride but by golly,, something certainly did! I suppose being from a different manufacturer could have caused it but i still believe the main reason was because the Sailuns were a heavier duty, higher load range G tire.

I ran the Sailuns for maybe a year and then replaced all the tires with Bridgestones, load range F. In my case, there was a world of difference. The ride is a teensy bit more firm than the Michelins but i'm happy with the decision to get them at half the cost of the Michelins.

Tags
tires