Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

What would you do?

I'm wondering what was the right thing for me to have done earlier today. I was returning home in our class C motorhome on the freeway in heavy traffic when I ran over a large piece of truck tire tread. There was no opening in traffic to either side so I went straight ahead hitting the debris which knocked off the pipe end and both valves from the holding tanks. It wasn’t pretty! I was able to work my way over to an outside lane and was stopped by a policeman who suggested I duct tape the open pipes. No ticket. Neither of us was willing to attempt to get out in traffic to clean up and what would you use to clean if you could get on the freeway? I see no good solution. I'm sure that other people have had this problem before me so what is the right thing to do?
goodolejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

Very interesting post.
If you KNOW that there are no issues with your waste (nasty pathogens - transmitted diseases), duct tape and go. On the other hand if there is a possibility of infecting someone, let the officer know and he SHOULD have appropriate procedures to follow. Only so much you can do and risking your life in traffic to clean the road is not one of them.
In a freeway situation most likely the "poo" diluted, dried, and is of no concern other than someone needs to wash their car!!
Appreciate you have enough concern to post this. It is a good question.

Final note, if you are not risking life and limb in traffic, a dilute chlorine solution (tablespoon of bleach per gallon water is more than sufficient) is an appropriate cleaning agent to spray over a spill.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

X2

Next thing I would do is notify my insurance company....
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All I can say is POO happens.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Seriously. That's why it's called an accident. I had one ( alligator ) rip off my propane regulator. That could have ended ugly. Same situation as you , I couldn't avoid it in heavy traffic.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

You are lucky, they didn't call a hazmat team and charge you $7,000 to clean it up.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

you did what you had to do .everyone lived through it ! as in no wrecks .
you held you line and kept everyone safe. you were not the first to drop a little poo on a freeway and you won't be the last.so don't beat yourself up over it .you did the right thing
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
When contacting your insurance company......

"I was following a large truck and his tire just exploded. Pieces went everywhere and I didn't have a chance to avoid the tire parts."

Now you are covered.

Ran over a tire in the road........

You are on your own and your wallet.

Poppy
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post

Next thing I would do is notify my insurance company....
ONLY if you want to turn in a claim for damage to your vehicle otherwise, you'll have an incident on file with that company which will come back to haunt you.
As to "paying for hazmet clean up" = whose road is it? (not yours). Who allowed the road to become almost unusable? (again, not you). Why would you owe anything?
If damage to my vehicle was sufficient I would argue that road owner (city/state) owed ME. Not the other way round and it appears that there is a cop with enough info to become a witness.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #10

Have you not seen a chicken truck loaded down and them spraying poop out of their cages. I would not worry about the clean up I'm sure there are worst things spilled on the roads. If your only damage was a couple of valves and some pipe I don't think I would make a claim and raise my rates.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejim View Post
I'm wondering what was the right thing for me to have done earlier today. I was returning home in our class C motorhome on the freeway in heavy traffic when I ran over a large piece of truck tire tread. There was no opening in traffic to either side so I went straight ahead hitting the debris which knocked off the pipe end and both valves from the holding tanks. It wasn’t pretty! I was able to work my way over to an outside lane and was stopped by a policeman who suggested I duct tape the open pipes. No ticket. Neither of us was willing to attempt to get out in traffic to clean up and what would you use to clean if you could get on the freeway? I see no good solution. I'm sure that other people have had this problem before me so what is the right thing to do?
I would do what the cop said. Easy peazy.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #12

In general, if you are using a public facility, and you cause damage to that facility, you are libel for the repairs.

Accidents that cause damage to a road, like hitting the guardrail, or clipping a delineator or signpost, and if the government employees can ascertain who's vehicle caused the damage, they can and do charge the owner for the damage. If, the cause of the accident, like a gator or a pothole, was know by the government and they failed to take appropriate action, like remove it or repair it in an appropriate time frame, then you have grounds to reject the bill for the damage.

In goodolejim original post, IF the police officer had cited Jim for the spill, and IF the government had incurred a cost to clean the "poo" from the highway, the government could bill him for the cost. IF Jim knew the truck that left the gator in the middle of the road, he and or his insurance company could then bill that guy and/or his insurance for the cost of the road repair and the cost for the damage to his RV.

The thinking here is why should J.Q. Public stand the cost for repairs if the person who caused the damage is known? Googling "who pays for guardrail damage" or simular question shows a lot of information on this subject.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I report gators to the state DOT when I come across them. That way they can be removed and if someone hits it they may have recourse for repairs.

Never heard of the holding tank lines being taken out. I can imagine the mess. I agree, just follow the directions of the officer.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
ONLY if you want to turn in a claim for damage to your vehicle otherwise, you'll have an incident on file with that company which will come back to haunt you.
As to "paying for hazmet clean up" = whose road is it? (not yours). Who allowed the road to become almost unusable? (again, not you). Why would you owe anything?
If damage to my vehicle was sufficient I would argue that road owner (city/state) owed ME. Not the other way round and it appears that there is a cop with enough info to become a witness.
A response based on ignorance. What about a legitimate claim for damages can possibly 'come back to haunt you"? When you get sick do you NOT put it on your insurance? That's what it is for.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote