Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

What would you have done?

During a recent trip to Alaska in the motorhome,we were camping in a less than nice RV park in Yukon and the MH owner two spaces away,changed his oil while it was still hot. In the morning,he very carefully lifted the oil drainpan and took it into the motorhome. I think I know what he did with the waste oil. I know the tag number of that older Bounder (but not the State).I debated reporting what I saw happen in that land of pristine lakes and rivers, but I am ashamed to say I did not. Help me here.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

while i do not yet own a MH I think YOU know what YOU should have done
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Help you???? So, what would you have reported happened? That you saw a guy change oil and take the used oil into his camper? What violation of the law or rules is this? Certainly better than dropping it on the ground. What do you THINK he did? I suspect law enforcement might be asking the same thing I am, 'where/what was the violation?'
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #4

I think you did the right thing. You did not see an offense occur, other than changing oil at a campsite.
Ted
Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
During a recent trip to Alaska in the motorhome,we were camping in a less than nice RV park in Yukon and the MH owner two spaces away,changed his oil while it was still hot. In the morning,he very carefully lifted the oil drainpan and took it into the motorhome. I think I know what he did with the waste oil. I know the tag number of that older Bounder (but not the State).I debated reporting what I saw happen in that land of pristine lakes and rivers, but I am ashamed to say I did not. Help me here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Help you???? So, what would you have reported happened? That you saw a guy change oil and take the used oil into his camper? What violation of the law or rules is this? Certainly better than dropping it on the ground. What do you THINK he did? I suspect law enforcement might be asking the same thing I am, 'where/what was the violation?'
doc
I agree
It's nobody's business what anyone does with their waste oil in the privacy of their coach...(methinks someone has to much time on his hands).

BTW, I, (we), use olive oil.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #6

Oh come you guys! You know where the oil was going to end up. Trouble is he did nothing wrong that was seen.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #7

What's the big deal? I change my oil when it's hot and put the used oil in my pickup (all Ten Gallons of it). I then carry it to a recycle place and dump it in their holding tank. I wonder if Barney Fife got my license number.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would simply alert the campground owner to the situation, that is what I would want to happen if I were the owner. Then, the owner could decide what the next course of action would be. Sometimes the easiest thing to do, is the best thing to do.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
dvmwed, I really don't know what you are trying to say. Not trying to belabor a point, but are you thinking he was going to pour the oil down the sink or toilet? Surely a man with enough concern for his coach that he changes the engine oil would not be dumb enough to do that and risk damaging tanks, pipes and valves. Maybe he was, but maybe he had milk jugs he was going to put the oil in.
I walked into our coach one day with a small axe and a couple of garbage bags. Sure hope no one thought I was going in to chop my wife to death and hide the body
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have heard of folks that will pour used motor oil into their septic system at home, attempting to kill tree roots that have invaded the pipes. Not my style, but you would never see me carrying that much used motor oil, in an open container, up the stairs and into my coach simply to pour it into containers with lids to dispose of. Why not just do that outside? Then again, I have been inside RV's where I felt like wiping my feet BEFORE going back outside.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #11

Danger - the thought police are out again
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I gotta admit it seems suspicious, but suspicion isn't the same as evidence. You could have informed the campground management, so that they would have some evidence if they later found oil in their septic or some such, but YOU have nothing to report to the authorities.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #13

My wager is that "exrench" is very correct in the neighbors plan.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
dvmwed,
I walked into our coach one day with a small axe and a couple of garbage bags. Sure hope no one thought I was going in to chop my wife to death and hide the body
doc

Now THAT IS suspicious, (a pan of USED OIL?... not so much).
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote