Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure how long is too long but it sounds like a 20 min wait is nore than sufficient before approaching them. I can't recall ever being blocked in by this type of thing, but have seen it a number of times and often offer to help in whatever way I can. Frequently, it's a lack of clear hand signals between the driver and spotter. I've been able to help a number of folks just be being the spotter and giving the driver clear indications of what he has to do with the wheel to get aligned properly.

Although it wasn't a trailer, I clearly remember how absolutely terrified I was when we took our brand new 40DP (first RV ever) on a shakedown cruise at a park near home. There were only back-in lake front spots and I was certain I was going to have real trouble getting backed in to our tight spot on a Friday night so asked at the front desk if there was anyone around who could come and help me if I got in a pickle.

The darnedest thing happened though. With DW giving signals and me backing the beast in for the first time... it slipped in like a hand in a glove and we couldn't quite believe it. I had spent about an hour prior to that time practicing in a parking lot with cones.

Turns out a couple neighbors had already pulled up their lawn chairs and cocktails when they saw the two wide eyed rookies driving a big rig that still had the stickers on the windows. They couldn't believe it either but quickly introduced themselves along with a pitcher of martinis and we knew right away we were going to like this stuff.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #16

I love to watch folks doing this, but from my coach, not from my toad. This is another reason I think an RV license would be in order. You must demonstrate some basic skills. (boats also). Many states require this on a motorcycle. You can also learn new words and new combinations of old words. It is also a great way to learn how not to treat your wife. Our hand signals work very well, but they do tend to evolve trip to trip. We have started using our cell phones with mine (driver) on speaker in my top pocket so I have both hands free.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now, I do admit a class A is easier to back into a site, epically if you have just left that same site.. Last summer I was on a site here in this park that had a paved "Wash" opposite it.

I pulled onto the wash, put her in Reverse and backed straight in.

The woman on the next site was on her phone talking to her husband,, he'd backed the trailer for the first time ever a couple days earlier.. She's describing my five second parking job.

Catch is.. I used to tow a trailer.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Experience is a dear teacher but not always the best. It would probably have served the person trying to back in well if he just went around again and started over. Take a deep breath and think it over, then start new.

I learned that lesson early when I had my foibles on boat ramps or trying to dock a boat in the wind. It actually takes the pressure off if you let people go instead of tying them up for an unreasonable time.

After our first night time back in with the MH my wife and I rehearsed hand signals and decided she would not use her finger.

Also I will note the person that designed the backup camera with a one way mic was a genius or a marriage counselor.

Waiting 20 minutes is a saintly thing to do.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
whenever I see someone having problems backing in, I offer the suggestion to grab the steering wheel at the bottom and then if you want the trailer to go right, turn the wheel to the right, etc, then tell them that an old timer told me that many years ago. We are not telling that now I am the old timer.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Also I will note the person that designed the backup camera with a one way mic was a genius or a marriage counselor.

Problem is, they put them on DP's too and there is no single more worthless piece of equipment on my coach than the mic on the back up camera. I already KNOW what a 400hp diesel sounds like and there's no way DWs little voice can ever be heard over the sound of that engine.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Problem is, they put them on DP's too and there is no single more worthless piece of equipment on my coach than the mic on the back up camera. I already KNOW what a 400hp diesel sounds like and there's no way DWs little voice can ever be heard over the sound of that engine.

Rick
I'll introduce her to Annie. Get ya fixed right up.

Kidding. Don't have sound or sides on ours. Guess that answers that question. Stick with the mirrors and backup camera.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Now, I do admit a class A is easier to back into a site, epically if you have just left that same site.. Last summer I was on a site here in this park that had a paved "Wash" opposite it.
Shortly before my 20 minute wait, I had backed our 38 foot Class A into our long term space that I had left a few days ago. The site is on a corner, at an odd angle, with trees across the way which impede getting lined up. At the first attempt, I put her in position so the jacks hit the exact marks they left when I last raised them. Not to be blowing my own trumpet but...... My DW and I have our own set of hand signals that work for us. We've tried voice communications via back up camera microphone, two way radios and cellphones and no longer use them. For us, hand signals (sometimes viewed in the backup camera) work best.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
When hand signals connect with the back of your head your in trouble. Just kidding!! I think people that are new to RVing weather a tt, fiver, class C or A should go to a parking lot in off hours and try backing into parking spaces and get the feel of backing up and going around corners etc. Then when they go to an RV park for the first time it won't be as stressful. We all have to lean new things and be patient with others. I think 20 minutes was pushing it and if your not backed in by then you should ask for help. I think you handled it fairly and in a nice way.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I would have take out a few lawn chairs front row and cracked a beer! LOL

Not really, but I used to do this at the boat launch across from our house. Many hours of great entertainment.

I think you did the right thing.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #25

Last time we were at Ft Wilderness, we were assogned a site that we felt was to small for our cargo trailer and 37" MH. We called the front desk and suggested a couple of other, more suitable sites. They said the site we were at would work and they would send someone to assist. Now we have been to the Fort maybe 30 times or more and are pretty familiar with site capabilities, many just by looking. Two people showed up, with one directing traffic, and one assisting us. He mostly watched as I unloaded the GC, connected the trailer to the GC, and backed it to the rear of the site. He then kinda helped me manuever the MH to where I could back in, with about three feet to spare between the MH and the road. I was not a happy camper being shoe horned into that site, but we were there and there we stayed. I don't know how many people were directed into the loop exit, but we took maybe 20 minutes to get settled in. My apologies to anyone who might have been inconvenienced. Most of our Fort entrances are much less eventful.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would NOT have offered to help direct as the huffy wife would have probably decked me or thrown darts into my back of my head.

The ONLY way I would have helped this particular guy is to get behind the wheel and do it myself but ONLY after the husband had taken the wife away to some other place.

I have helped direct many an RVer into their sites but under these specific conditions, you are just asking for trouble.

Otherwise, when I am presented with a similar situation, I wait a few minutes to observe the situation and if it's an accident waiting to happen I then turnaround and go the other way.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

The first few trips we took, we used those two magic words... "pull through."
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Please re-read my original post. At no point did either of us express impatience, actual or implied. We sat for 20 minutes with the engine off before we asked him, very politely, if he was aware that he was blocking the road. I did not offer to assist because that would have embarrassed him and inflamed his wife. Yes, we were all beginners once, but part of the learning experience is to be conscious and aware of others. I'm not sure I appreciate your tone.

I'm glad you made this post. I now understand why you didn't what to help them. Because it would have embarrassed him and inflamed his wife.

And you believe the way you all handled this didn't do this.

I have been told more then once to be nice on this forum so I will. I think you were wrong and shouldn't have said anything and just waited till he got park because you were not going to help him.

I think you are feeling guilty for the way you handled the situation by posting here hoping all will agree with what you did.

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote