Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What's going on with Gas Buddy

I am preparing to head on a trip and I usually get on Gasbuddy.com and look at the general route I want to take to determine where I can stop for fuel looking for lower prices along the way.
I usually search for a city along my route where I think I'll need fuel, I then use the maps option and select diesel. The map will display diesel prices, I then follow the route and click on a station.

In the past the name of the station and address would pop up. This morning it will not list the station, a small "Loading" text box pops up but will not display the name.

I've tried this with a different browser that does not have any adblockers with the same results.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #2

Website seems to be having a problem. Mobile app is working fine. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I may have to put the app on my Iphone just to be able to find fuel stations.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:19 AM   #4

Just a warning, station owners are posting low prices that are not true. You pull in and hopefully notice before you fill up.
Kim's Exxon in Williamsburg Va posted 2.75 for diesel. Got there it was 3.99. I shut it off at $3 and used a credit card.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not surprising.

I'm using it to find general areas of lower fuel pricing. I've got 128 gallon tank so I have enough range to pick an choose.

I usually look for a location that has multiple options for fueling. As I approach I look at access and pull into the one that I can easily fill up at and also exit from.

On a broader scope some states/counties have higher taxes. If necessary I can drive through a state if it has higher prices. I noticed that North Dakota is quite a bit higher then South Dakota plus there are fewer fueling choices. So if I choose to go into ND I fill up before and if I need any fuel I'll just get the bare minimum until I'm in a lower price area.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Just a warning, station owners are posting low prices that are not true. You pull in and hopefully notice before you fill up.
Kim's Exxon in Williamsburg Va posted 2.75 for diesel. Got there it was 3.99. I shut it off at $3 and used a credit card.
That can happen and sometimes people post pricing just to be onery. I have also seen cases where the OFF-ROAD diesel price was on gasbuddy, obviously not something we can use.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
How do you know it was the owner who did it? I see lots of prices on gas buddy that are just sloppy--like they put the mid-grade price in for premium. Sadly, as with everything on the internet, you have to evaluate the information before relying on it, like comparing it to others in the area and coming up with theories about what's going on. You'd think that wouldn't be necessary when it comes to the price of a gallon of gas, but you'd be wrong.

I'm not saying station owners have never posted bogus prices, but I think there can be a lot of other reasons the price listed is wrong.

As for gas buddy's website acting wonky, it does that to me periodically. It'll work fine, and then do what you're doing, with the "loading" thing. I've closed my browser, cleared my cookies, and gone back to the website and it still does it, so I'm pretty sure it's on their end.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

I've had an issue on GasBuddy with stations (or users) posting up diesel prices that are the lowest in the area -- but in actuality they are sold out of diesel. Very annoying! I don't know how they would fix that. The station puts up $2.70 on their sign but the pumps are disabled/marked out-of-order.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

It said by owner 3 hours earlier.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
How do you know it was the owner who did it? I see lots of prices on gas buddy that are just sloppy--like they put the mid-grade price in for premium. Sadly, as with everything on the internet, you have to evaluate the information before relying on it, like comparing it to others in the area and coming up with theories about what's going on. You'd think that wouldn't be necessary when it comes to the price of a gallon of gas, but you'd be wrong.

I'm not saying station owners have never posted bogus prices, but I think there can be a lot of other reasons the price listed is wrong.
Remember that Gas Buddy relies on users updating the current prices. As far as I know they do not do independent verification so if users enter incorrect prices into their app those prices will probably end up being displayed to other users on their app.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
It said by owner 3 hours earlier.
Well then that is a problem. Did you leave a comment? Most of them are useless enough that I think people may earn rewards just for posting anything, but every once in a while I've run across a station where people over a period of time complain about inaccurate prices posted, which is useful as a warning to others.

And maybe report it to gas buddy, although I'm not sure what they could do about it. But putting $2.75 when the actual price is $3.99 is a pretty ballsy move.

That said, I always verify the price on the pump before I start pumping. Doesn't keep me from pressing the wrong button and getting premium when I intended to get regular, but at least I wasn't surprised at the price when I realized my mistake.

For the record, the site is working well on my PC today...so far.

Also, if I'm interested in a station, I always open it in a new tab, and sometimes it comes up with giant yellow stars, requiring a LOT of scrolling to get to the information. I found out that if I reload the tab, it fixes it, and the prices for the various grades are at the top where they should be.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
What does changing to a credit card do?

Did you ask the station owner why he did that?
Did you update Gas Buddy so others would know?

Tags
gas