Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2021, 06:17 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddpearl View Post
Wow!! Both good and bad stories. I just bought a 2 year top of the line service agreement with GS and now hoping I did the right thing

Discussing annual roadside emergency service/towing … simple roadside repair (normally tire change) or tow to a nearby shop, not a service contract. Service contracts are a completely different scam with their own horrible service stories [emoji6]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
You make a good point . . . I could deal with it IF it is just insurance and you don't have to wait hours and hours for them to fail to find a cheap tow. Curious, did you pay the $1800 and get reimbursed? If not, who paid for the tow?
Hi Ken, Ford paid for the quote directly, we did not pay anything out of pocket. The important thing in this case was that Ford paid to tow my motorhome directly to the nearest Ford dealer that can work on motorhomes. Good Sams would have taken it to the nearest shop that said they could work on motorhomes. Ford MH service is another thread entirely though.

In my case it is certainly insurance for a tow, plain and simple. You probably know you have to drop the drive shaft to tow it, and it is very difficult to lift the front end without causing damage. Our tow guy was very good, he did not put a scratch on it. He also explained the process, in this case it was late on a Sunday afternoon with us in the boonies and the Ford service called around quite a bit find someone that would tow in this particular instance for a price they were willing to pay.
GBCanyonStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #101

Good Sam is exactly as stated above.......repeating NEW members is their focus,once they have YOU they don*t need you.
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #102

We dumped Liberty Mutual and went with Progressive RV. Liberty Mutual left us hanging at the side of the road in Maine with a flat tire. They told us we insure RVs but we do not have road side. I was like seriously? We did get help from the ranger but seriously. Never again. Sounds like it is time to switch.
crazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #103

Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of problems occur due to the untrained operator that takes your call. If the person does not know the difference between class a, c, trailer, or fifth wheel, then how can we expect to get the correct assistance for our problem?
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
I misread it as a payment to GS.
No worries! Glad we're on the same page.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCanyonStar View Post
Hi Ken, Ford paid for the quote directly, we did not pay anything out of pocket. The important thing in this case was that Ford paid to tow my motorhome directly to the nearest Ford dealer that can work on motorhomes. Good Sams would have taken it to the nearest shop that said they could work on motorhomes. Ford MH service is another thread entirely though.

In my case it is certainly insurance for a tow, plain and simple. You probably know you have to drop the drive shaft to tow it, and it is very difficult to lift the front end without causing damage. Our tow guy was very good, he did not put a scratch on it. He also explained the process, in this case it was late on a Sunday afternoon with us in the boonies and the Ford service called around quite a bit find someone that would tow in this particular instance for a price they were willing to pay.
You made out good then!

Definitely aware of the drive shaft issue. The towing company that the state police called actually sent out the heavy tow truck and a smaller truck with someone to assist in getting it ready to tow. They were great! Fortunately, my chassis is set up to be lifted and towed easily from the front. I lucked out with them, their shop was completely equipped to do the repairs as well!
Old 12-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #106

As promised . . . an update!

I received 2 emails this afternoon. They have approved the claim in full as submitted and I should receive a check in 4 to 6 weeks. I will post when I get it.

The second email was from someone who apologized and said that they would be contacting their dispatcher and the provider to follow-up and improve their service. That email included a direct email address and phone number to someone who can get things done.

I'm currently paid through December 0f 2022. If I get paid as promised, I'll probably stick with them this coming year and hope that I don't need them. Honestly, I see them more as insurance for service than actual service.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #107

Bad Sam

We purchased our class A in the spring. We purchased Bad Sam’s roadside and tire & wheel coverage. On vacation in New Hampshire when we had a rear tire blowout. They got me back on the road the next day. The charges to replace 1 tire was all but $900. I thought no problem we have coverage. Turned the claim into the tire coverage that was purchased. They paid $400 of the bill I asked them why only $400. They told me that I was overcharged for the tire. So I emailed the CEO that says he is not happy unless you are. I received a call from Rashad “customer service” if that’s what you want to call it. He told me that the info was turned over and I was to get a phone call. I have called many times and have been told someone will call. I talked to Rashad one day and he said he would call me back the same day with an answer. I had to call him back 3 days later. I am still waiting for that phone call. I will not be a Bad Sam’s for long!!!! Guess what I am still not happy!!!
Bigtg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #108

Lots of frustration from subscribers. I have my own as well...

But let me tell you about my general experiences...

As a Service Provider.

I joined their team in the infancy of my mobile service. I worked on living quarters. Period. No wheels. No brakes. Maybe electric brakes in extenuating circumstances... No driveline. Etc. If it used potable water, created heat from electricity or propane, made cold with propane or electricity, made electricity, Held waste water..you get the idea. I was all over it. The letter of understanding between us highlighted this.

But I am NOT a mechanic. I am NOT a tire tech. I am not an adjustor. I do not have a magic wand. And I will most assuredly not word my invoice so that ANYBODY would be caused to pay something they shouldn't have to. 2 way street there...

Yet that did not stop them from promising the moon and left me holding the bag for dealing with inconvenienced (and often irate) customers when I couldn't deliver GS's promises.

Customer states: Blowout on inside dual of a 40ft Journey with tag. Can't get slideout to go out, looks broken. Some damage around wheel well.

GS Tells Customer: Sure, the tech will take care of tire and wheel during repair of damage. Can't see what size your tires are? No problem, repair tech will often have several sizes. Might be additional charge if tech has to go back to shop, but they are professionals.

I am told: Customer with unknown mh has problem getting schwintek slide out to go out. Customer thinks is out of alignment. Meet customer at XYZ park at 8pm, does not have good reception. Customer has pets and we request all on site repair staff wear shoe covers inside vehicle.

Customer is told: this is the first I know about tire and blow out damage? Tire service? Does this look like a tire service truck? The tire has torn out part of your wall, one of your holding tanks is broke, compartment door is gone, so is inner compartment shell, slideout frame in wall is twisted. I can only fix this when I get you into my shop, and get you out in 5 or 6 weeks.. I will not be able to repair tire or wheel, though I can tape up the loose and hanging parts for temp while transported on tow truck. Your air mattress is damaged too, I can see part of blower hanging inside damaged wall. Shouldn't be that expensive to replace though.

Customer Heard: I will have to get my other truck, the tire truck as I wasn't told about blowout. If you can get your rig to the shop, I will get around to it in 5 or 6 weeks, otherwise We can just duct tape everything and cover up the huge holes in wall and tank and compartment. My air mattress is cheap and I paid for the upgrade! How dare he say that I am cheap!

And the snowball just gets bigger and bigger because nobody wants to ask the right questions or make available the use of common sense and modern technology.

That didn't stop them from slow pays. Or charge backs when I demanded a credit card to charge a deposit to. Or try to get me to eat the costs of " no problem found / customer education" calls. Or... Heaven forbid, that I cause a 'betterment' to be applied to coach as part of normal and customary repair and ending up in a No Pay or Partial Pay. I quickly switched to Direct Pay from customer and assisted (greatly!) with getting reimbursed.

From a provider point of view, Coachnet wasn't much better.

I got fed up with the industry overall. Could not believe the level of dishonesty and outright lies that were found, by owners and 'service contract administrators' and warranty staff of OEMs. My favorite example of warranty denial on an awning (name withheld) because the 3rd Air conditioner add on (with manual controls) caused excessive noise on the 'battery system' leading to damage of awning wind and inclement weather sensing system. Nevermind that it was a cool only ac (with mechanical controls) and installation occurred in Quartzite (cold, no generator = no converter and battery only) and awning was installed by manufacturer's team of installers 'to preserve the warranty'.

When I heard the story, I merely looked at awning, shook my head, and installed the sensor (spare on truck) onto the awning arm - and presto! Works great!
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:02 AM   #109

Going to be a lot of dissatisfaction with RVing and all it entails, in the coming years. Lots of good, cheap used ones…I hope.
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfsideGolfer View Post
Going to be a lot of dissatisfaction with RVing and all it entails, in the coming years. Lots of good, cheap used ones…I hope.
I agree and am waiting for the tsunami of dumped RVs that is bound to happen. Might be lots of cheap, but few, good ones. Even in the "Good old days" of pre-2008, there were all sorts of problems but not that many with the engines or chassis. The Covid mess has just turned up the heat and boiled out more manufacturing corner cutting and the emissions compliance has adversely affected engine reliability as well.

The crowding and price increase of RV parks has greatly negated the overall experience as well. The hassle factor has increased in all aspects of RVing and I think many will become disenchanted and just quit in the next year or two. That may be starting to happen now.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Ken,

Not sure if this has already been mentioned as I didn't read through all the posts, but I think you should post this to the GS forum, there is a section just for situations like this. I had an issue with their lender and posted the email I sent to the "if your not happy, I'm not happy" and received several emails of apology. If anything it makes others aware, GS is a big name in the RV world, your issue along with your resolution may help others as they may not know about this forum, which is awesome by the way...
Reng8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think good sams go's through CS reps like they go through customers.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote