Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

What's going on with Good Sam roadside assistance?

I've had Good Sam Roadside Assistance for several years and got reasonable service the one time that I needed help 2 years ago in Maine.

A week ago my serpentine belt broke around midnight on I-95 in Connecticut. 5.5 hours into a 6 hour trip, almost home. The RV lost power steering and power brakes quickly and the temp was climbing. I pulled over as quick as I could on the edge of an on ramp acceleration lane. I keep a spare belt on hand and put it on . . . it popped right off so we tried one more time. I just nudged the key and watched the belt do one complete turn and then tried again . . . came off again.

It was now around 1 am, I knew something else was bad so I called Good Sam. They just take your info and text you a link to their app where you have to enter everything. It wanted me to choose where I would be towed to but didn't give me ANY choices of places able to repair an RV, they were all chain auto repair shops.

I called back and told them that the app wasn't working for me and I gave them the name of a place that I know tows RV's and could work on repairing it. They looked it up and said that it was further than they could authorize (it's 12.7 miles by Google Maps) and I would need to pay a $36 fee to have it towed there. I gave them my credit card info and they promised to get back to me shortly with the name of the company coming to tow me. I got 4 text messages in the next hour informing me that they were working on finding someone and then NOTHING.

Around 3 am I called them again . . . just got excuses. Keep in mind, I'm on I-95 in Connecticut, 2 miles from a truck stop and multiple 24 hour towing companies within 10 miles. I was polite BUT firm, they needed to get someone to tow me. They said that if I could find someone that I should get towed and file for reimbursement. I stressed that I was not in a good location (traffic wise) and they needed to find someone. We hung up and I called another company. About 12 minutes later, while I was on the phone with the new company, I got a text from Good Sam saying that a company over 40 miles away would be there in 90 - 120 minutes. I did not proceed with the company that I was talking to out of concern that if both came I would not get reimbursed for the one that I called.

So, I waited . . . and fell asleep. I was woken up at 4:45 am with pounding on the door and a flashlight through the window. It was a CT State Trooper insisting that I move. I explained that I had a tow coming and he still wanted me to go. I had to stress to him that trying to move a 23,000# vehicle with no power brakes or steering would not go well and it would overheat. He was not happy and wanted license, registration and insurance. While I was getting that (which was all in order) I stressed that someone was coming . . . I even showed him the text from Good Sam with the company's name and phone number. He took my paperwork AND phone and went back to his cruiser. The state trooper called the tow company, they told him that they NEVER agreed to come and that they were not coming. CT State Police then called someone to tow me and they stayed behind me with flashing lights until I was towed.

I got several additional texts and one phone call from Good Sam and told them that the police had ordered a tow. I was again told that I could submit that bill for reimbursement.

Fast forward one week, I got the repaired RV back on Friday along with the tow bill which I put on my credit card. I'm off work today and gathered all my info and called the Good Sam "If you're not happy, we're not happy!" complaint line at 11:15 am. I wanted to file my claim for reimbursement. They took my info and said that a supervisor would call me back.

I called again 3 hours later and was told that the "lead person" who I needed to talk to was on another line and she would call me as soon as she got off that call.

I called and hour later and waited on hold for 20 minutes until someone came on the line and told me that there was nothing that they could do . . . they were VERY busy with complaints!

It's now over 6 hours that I've been waiting for a return phone call . . .
Ken-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sitations like this is the reason I dumped Bad Sam for CoachNet.

Good luck with the reimbursement and complaint.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #3

It's stories like this that's making me drop Good Sam RA when it expires next month.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
In eleven years of paying dues, the one time I had to use them caused me to send them to the bottom of the sea. They suck.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
In eleven years of paying dues, the one time I had to use them caused me to send them to the bottom of the sea. They suck.
X2. Theyíre good only at collecting payments for their RA. No need to explain my dealings.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's said when you hear a story like this and hope it's just an occasional issue. But.......then you hear it again and again. The problem with a company like Good Sam is that they get enough newbies buying their product because of endless advertisement, that they don't care when they lose a customer.

I've had Coach Net for 16 years and luckily have never needed them. I don't know what their service will be like, but I've read enough Good Sam advertisements and heard enough stories that I would never trust them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #7

I certainly won't be renewing my membership. Had to use them for a flat tire a few months back. We managed to pull off the interstate just outside of Dallas around 8pm on a Saturday. Waited for two hours while they supposedly looked for someone to switch out my tire. I had a spare ready to go. Called them back and was told they just couldn't find anyone to help.

I opened Google maps and the very first search result was 24 hour roadside assistance for big rigs. They were less than a mile from our location. I called them and had someone there to assess the situation in less than ten minutes. He went to get his truck and had us back on the road in about an hour.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #8

I have had Good Sam's Road Side Assistance for a little over 4 years now. I have used them 3 times. Once for our motorhome and twice for a car I thankfully no longer have. I received excellent service every time. I never used the phone app, I called the 800 number and always received prompt and courteous service.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller806 View Post
, I called the 800 number and always received prompt and courteous service.
Me too, use the 1800 number, I have used them twice in the last 2 years, never had a problem with emergency roadside service Both times were tire replacement due to a faulty valve stem extender breaking for some unknown reason and then a rear inner tire blow out due to road debris. Both time about an hour or so wait but right back on the road. Thankfully, I have never needed a tow.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #10

I had enough of bad sam and cancelled everything and asked for a refund, and got a partial one.

I use coachnet and they have been awesome the 3 times I needed them.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:09 AM   #11

We had a similar experience with GoodSam - but we got reimbursed the nearly $500.00 for a tow of about 14 miles to my BILís house - and not after sitting on an exit ramp in north Dallas off of LBJ freeway for nearly 7 hours, on a Sunday.

I think you will hear of good and bad experiences with any of the roadside services, mostly those who have had bad experienceís.

I also donít think the roadside service industry as a whole isnít immune from the issues that any business or service is having in the world today.
Iím not saying to not be assertive and miss out on what you have been paying for, but the days of heads up responsiveness to our specific needs I think are behind us.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:51 AM   #12

What drives some new RVers nuts, is for every bad story you hear a good one.

For every good or bad story about one company, you hear the same for another.

Hard to pick one or the other based on the back and forth and no clear winner or loser.

And yes, I research the crap out of everything I buy or start....so it's not just a handful of posts on one forum.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #13

I don’t know but I have had Coachnet since May 1999 when I bought my first Class A
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #14

Roadside assistance plans are just another high profit business for the companies that advertise these services. I choose NOT to participate with these companies. If you call them for help, you have to sit there and wait for them to make multiple calls to tow companies trying to find the cheapest one to come help. Horror stories abound.

In today's world you have everything you need at your fingertips. I would rather take on the responsibility myself instead of waiting for a call taker to get help. No surprise, I feel the same way about extended service plans. I just feel more comfortable being in control of the situation and not depending on others. I take very good care of all my equipment and service intervals, so my odds of not having a problem are higher than some who don't. So far the odds have been in my favor and my reserve fund for this is intact and drawing interest.