Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #15

I suggest that you visit a dealer that sells each of those you are interested in and take a test drive. Keep in mind that it will be more difficult because it is the first time, but I'm sure that if you let the salesperson know your concerns, they will give you advice and guidance as they want you to get comfortable in order to sell you an RV.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #16
PKI

A relative newbie here. We pulled a 24ft Airstream with an SUV for five years/50,000 miles. Always comfortable and not concerned with the towing world. We now have a 33ft motorhome, but it is not as tall or as wide as a normal Class A (8ftx12ft vs 8.5ftx14ft).

We rented a Class C to travel to pick up the new coach. At 25ft, it was a good entry into the motorhome world. Wife learned to drive the Class C on our pick up trip. It was just like driving a rental moving truck or a big SUV. The noise inside is not great, but the truck/Van chassis absorbs bumps reasonably well. It steers predictabiy and unlike when towing, backing is intuitive.

The Class A is bigger, but still intuitive to handle. When we left the dealer's lot, it was the first time that I had driven a Class A. We did the first 100 miles at a reduced pace. Wife followed in the Class C. We dropped the Class C at the rental shop and returned to CA in the Class A.

The Class A has a long wheelbase. The trailer and SUV would u-turn in a wide section of road. The Class A needs a back and fill to turn around. Not hard to do, but takes care as the perceived location of the back is not consistent with it's true location. A spotter really helps.

The Class A has better mirrors, cameras and good visibility. With a couple working together, it is not difficult to get where you want to go. However, the smaller your rig, the easier it is to handle. Going small and light (low center of gravity - load centered over axles) is better than mega big. It makes a difference.

The down side - an SUV absorbs road shocks well. Independent suspension all around is a comfortable ride. The Class A does not like bridge transitions, chuckholes or similar uneven road surfaces. The suspension goes up, but it can't go back when it hits a bump, so there is a loud bang when you hit one. Traveling slower, avoiding chuck holes and lowering tire inflation to the load curve minimum helps with this issue, but it's real. Don't ignore it in your considerations.

Second down side - you can't walk around in a moving motorhome. You have to stay seat belted in place when traveling. Don't get that wrong. Not all seats in a Class A have seat belts. Some only have two in front and two somewhere else. An RV does not follow passenger car regulations for safety. Fewer or no air bags, no roll bar, and a lot of gear that is hard to secure when traveling.

Storage, use, and cost all combine to impact your RV choice and ultimate experience. It's a balance. Get it right, because changing rigs is expensive.

Personally - you are better off learning to tow a trailer than to own a motorhome. However, it is not difficult to drive a motorhome. Easier than I ever expected. The worst problem is avoiding low hanging trees. Most neighborhoods do not do a good job of keeping trees trimmed up to clear tall vehicles.

The Class B/B+ are good RVs if the size is big enough for your use. Great for two, but tight for four. They can often be parked in your driveway and will serve as transportation as opposed to needing a toad.

The Class Cs are great first RVs. Reasonable space and not terribly expensive.

Note - better built, quality specification coaches are much superior to inexpensive lower specification rigs. Investigate a lot. There are something like 20-25 Class B type sprinter van RVs on the market. Just because it is said to be quality does not mean that you will not have problems with systems. Research all. A simpler RV will let you enjoy your travel more with fewer problems and less cost.

The Class A we purchased is a Diesel Pusher with independent front suspension. That is somewhat rare. We knew what we wanted and searched for that specification. The gas Class As can be similar quality of fit and finish for much less purchase cost. Likely best plan for a small Class A. However, expect to need to upgrade the suspension.

It is all a compromise. You need to figure what you need to meet your RV lifestyle requirements. Do not expect to drive the speed limit. Expect to climb grades slower. Expect to drive conservatively. Expect to follow at a longer distance.

Edit - the taller your rig, the more wind will impact the stability. Some days, it pays to park and wait if your rig is optimized for more space at the expense of directional and lateral stability.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I suggest that you visit a dealer that sells each of those you are interested in and take a test drive....
That's the exact advice I'd give. We can all tell you the differences between A, B & C but they are our opinions, which may not be yours.

You need to test drive each type so YOU can decide what you're comfortable with & how YOU feel driving each of them.

As to Camping World, if they've got some of all of them on their lot, then by all means take advantage of that & look at/test out what they have. You don't have to buy from them but having every type of what you want to see all in one place, one right after the other & side by side, will save you from traipsing to multiple dealerships.

Good luck & keep us posted on what you're leaning towards.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
When I got my class A I had delusions of floating down the highway in a rolling living room with a panoramic view through that big windshield, soft music playing, maybe enjoying a light snack underway before arriving at our destination where we'd put out the awning and relax as the wine chilled.
That was us and not delusional! It just depends on the Class A as to floating down the highway or bumpity, bumpity along. For sure, they are not all the same.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Had a 32 CL A Pace Arrow. White knuckled for maybe 200 miles, then i grew in to it. Have a 25 CL C now, just like driving a family stationwagon, but taller. Seems like when you finally drive big, your upper boundaries permanently stretch with you.

Might be spatially bigger but the nav basics are still the same. Test drive a few times, get over the tension and excitement. You will adapt.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #20

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful. We will definitely have to do some test drives.
momto4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #21

4 people in a 24' camper (regardless of style). I hope you are talking about 2 of them being shall children. Still if if the two of you sleep in separate beds you'd better have a lot more space than this because you are going to be in each other's space to the point of perhaps creating one of those infamous "turn around" trips that my dad used to take us on where we kids were misbehaving and we then spent hours returning right back to the front door for the night while often driving all night to get us there.

I normally take the camper's stated sleeping capacity and divide that by two for a more realistic figure. With some, you even have to divide by 3.

Otherwise as far as improving your driving skills, try a few U-Haul trucks rented "local" for the day or even offer to drive for a friend when they are moving. That will avoid the often nervous dealer-tester interchange where either the salesman rides next to you with his eyes piercing down on you as you are driving or you leave your wife as collateral while the used RV seller paces the driveway until you return.
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:57 AM   #22

I love the suggestions to try one out. We were not sure if the entire lifestyle but it looked interesting to us. We rented a couple of class A's several years ago. Found we liked it and they weren't difficult to drive. Bought a Thor gasser about three years ago. Just sold it for a Fleetwood diesel a month ago. It is all SO MUCH fun.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thought

Since you need 4 beds, consider a pull out bed on your sofa.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juane View Post
4 people in a 24' camper (regardless of style). I hope you are talking about 2 of them being shall children. Still if if the two of you sleep in separate beds you'd better have a lot more space than this because you are going to be in each other's space to the point of perhaps creating one of those infamous "turn around" trips that my dad used to take us on where we kids were misbehaving and we then spent hours returning right back to the front door for the night while often driving all night to get us there.

I normally take the camper's stated sleeping capacity and divide that by two for a more realistic figure. With some, you even have to divide by 3.

Otherwise as far as improving your driving skills, try a few U-Haul trucks rented "local" for the day or even offer to drive for a friend when they are moving. That will avoid the often nervous dealer-tester interchange where either the salesman rides next to you with his eyes piercing down on you as you are driving or you leave your wife as collateral while the used RV seller paces the driveway until you return.
Definitely something I will keep in mind. We are currently tent campers, and I'm not looking for a house on wheels. We are accustomed to spending most of our camping time outside. I even prefer doing all cooking outside--even when we had the camper. We mainly just need good shelter for sleeping. The Trailmanor was really small, and we managed fine--even on bad weather days.

Also, I am the wife. Maybe I'll have to leave my husband as collateral.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segrieve View Post
Since you need 4 beds, consider a pull out bed on your sofa.
Yes! Definitely, That's a plus for CL C. Overhead bunk plus sofa bed, so my daughters don't have to sleep together--'cause that would be a deal breaker.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As an FYI:

There are Class A - B - C wit "bunk-beds".

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
I just got a 35 Class A - its my 6th RV. I had never driven a motorhome. So I took a 2-day RV class.

https://www.rvschool.com/

I learned so much - not just driving, but also lots of things about my coach. I highly recommend doing this. Im so glad I did it!

I just drove my Motorhome from Utah, to Denver, to Indiana and back.

Joyce
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #28

I have had trailers they were ok, the first motorhome I bought was 28ft and it was great it was almost like driving a pick- up only longer turning corners and finding parking spaces were only concern after many years with it I sold it and bought a 38ft class A DP the pros with it was the leveling jacks, lots more room 10 to 13 mpg depending if towing or not, the power of a diesel, The cons the length especially when pulling my offroad jeep on the trailer I think I was over 67 feet, bumpy ride from sitting right over the front wheels, pulling into stations, parking lots, and down roads if there is a easy outlet, The added length made the drive always on edge watching sides, and the trailer behind and any whip from cross winds or trucks passing. But for me sitting right in the windshield and it was huge, at the end of the day of driving my back and neck hurt from being always tense even tho the seat was very comfortable, I sold it several years back and bought another class c and to me its like driving a pick-up easy and without concern and no stress driving in heavy traffic, The fuel mileage is not as good and the bathroom is smaller but I can live with that and it is alot cheaper to maintain, oil changes, tires, etc. Bottom line is I enjoy driving the class c

Tags
motor, motorhome, newbie