Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #57

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have been driving 35 ft class A for 8 years .If there is no wind driving on the highway is easy. But if you get a gusty side wind ,it gives a new meaning to stressful driving .
I think a short class A with 2 slides might be easier .I know the 22 ft class C was .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I pulled TTs before but never actually drove a MH. I went on YouTube and completely submerged myself in motor home driving 101. I looked at as many as possible to get an idea of what I was in for.

I then went in to a RV dealer and they had no problem letting me drive an RV. I used the knowledge I learned from the videos and also took my time on a nice leisurely RV drive.

I continue to learn every time I take the RV out. Its never ending and I always am aware of what's around me as well as take my time. Never be in a hurry when driving your rig, no matter what class it is.

Good luck on your decision
Old 10-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #59

We have a 37' class A gas. It drives fine, goes where I point it, but - I don't find 'driving' is the hard part. Truthfully, pulling a 37' rig with a Jeep being towed behind into a gas station can be terrifying. Truck stops mostly sell diesel, have separate islands but don't sell gasoline. The gas portion of most stations is perpendicular to the building and your gas fill is in back of the rear tire. You have to pull in, get close engough to the pump so the hose will reach, then - if you planned ahead, you will pull out leaving the iron posts as close as inches from the rear of your rig (remember, the rear swings outside your turn), then on occasion, you need to get your willing passenger to get out and confirm your toad does not hit the pump guards. I probably pass 3 or 4 gas stations for every one I actually pull into and I've waited as long as 20 minutes to get out because cars parked against the building block your exit. This is truly the only downside of driving a long class-A. Diesel pushers take diesel and can fill at the diesel pumps, but they too are at risk if they try to use "standard" gas stations.
An 8' windshield, 4' high gives the most outstanding panoramic view of the countryside. The effects of wind and passing semi's are learned with experience - I've driven in 50 knot cross winds and have learned the behavior of my rig and have no problem. Parking in RV parks is a piece of cake, driving is (for me) FUN, it is great therapy, gas mileage is irrelevant -- I'm driving my house! Performance up hills sees me usually passing semi's by 2-5 miles per hour, braking down long hills can be a challenge. You need to plan ahead and pay attention. I've crossed the rockies, the Adirondacks, been to Alaska, prefer to travel down 2 lane highways for the character and varied views. Some kinds of rigs wander as they go down the road, but in my not so humble opinion, operator over-control is often the issue. After driving the Jeep for a week, it takes me a while to remember that I'm 'guiding' my RV, not horsing it down the road. I can control my path within a lane within 6-8" or less except on the worst roads.
So in summary, driving a class A is different than driving a car, it can be fun, or it can be nervewracking - depending on how you adapt.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #60

DataDaveB....I took my first one, a 36 footer to the DOLLYWOOD parking lot in the winter months. That is a really good suggestion. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Nancy - There was a fellow who made a trip from California to Virginia. He ran a thread titled "Tell Me Where to Go". The thread was a journal of his trip and the suggestions folks gave him on route, overnight locations and what to see and do.

What I thought was most interesting was that he was able to find numerous remote locations by traveling the roads less traveled. He found a nice site by a stream in Colorado when he saw a small sign on the side of the road and ask the owner about it. He found a nice empty park in Western Kansas, He found similar locations as he worked his way East. City parks, once on a city street (recommended by the local police), several forest service locations and many interesting places to shop and eat.

So, don't give up on the adventure - just keep adjusting the focus. Oh, and you can do it again - the next time you may be all alone. It works that way sometimes.

You know, we get our best ideas of what to do and see from locals. We have found sitting at the bar is the best way to talk to locals.

My husband is just not comfortable looking for a place to park. He wants reservations and hookups. We had some good luck with the app iOverlander at places to stop, a fantastic spot on the Bay of Fundy, for example, with the best sunset and full moon you can imagine. And a beautiful lighthouse. But in general, I have had to adjust my focus, thatís a good way to put it. Itís still fun.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
I'm not new to camping. For a few years we owned a Trailmanor hard sided pop up type camper. We now have a Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow tent that is wonderful. I love the tent, but the rest of my family doesn't.

We sold the camper while we had 3 kids in college at once and needed the money more than the camper--along with cost to maintain, insure, store, etc. Another reason we sold is I hated the towing experience. We were towing with a Tacoma. As much as I love Tacomas, they are kinda underpowered for towing. Trailmanors are supposed to be easy to tow, but I always found it to be stressful.

I'm back to considering our options for a more comfortable camping experience 1) because we'd like to start seeing more of the country--we would like to make a cross country trip in May with 2 of our kids. (Our other 2 kids have launched) and 2) due to pandemic camping is safer than hotels and 3)We want to always have our dogs with us.

I really don't want another travel trailer--unless it's ultra lightweight and low profile. But teardrop is not an option because I need it to sleep 4 comfortably. The Aliner Family is on my list because it is all hard sides and it sleeps 4, but I know there are some drawbacks on comfort with those.

I am more interested in a motorhome. The Winnebago View, Navion, Porto, etc. I'm also kind of intrigued by the short class As.

How hard is it to drive these? I've driven a 10 foot box truck before, and that was a piece of cake. I know there's a difference, which is why I'd love to hear from some of you that have experience driving multiple types of RVs. I've been lurking on the forums and see complaints about handling, being a giant sail, etc. I'm just trying to find out if the stress level is going to be any better than towing a camper. Thank you in advance!
I am a 71 yr. old lady and travel alone. I have a 26.5 ft. Lazy Daze Class C RV. I also tow my Honda CRV. I find it very easy to handle. Lazy Daze is low profile, and has very good road manners. The only consideration is that with a tow bar, you cannot back up, so you have to be aware of your surroundings. With the car off, it is easy to back up and place in campsites. I believe it is all about which motorhome you choose. I have met folks along the way with similar size motorhomes that say they fight it when the winds pipe up or even when an 18 wheeler passes them. Watch a lot of YouTube and check out the forums for the different motorhomes you are considering to get as much information as you can ahead of time.
captlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #63

To the OP, look, in a nutshell, if you are a good auto/truck driver, then you, male or female will have no problem driving a class A whether it's 29 ft. or 43 ft.

Yes there are some differences from your daily driver, but read, check out YouTube and the old saying seat of the pants practice makes perfect. Go for it!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #64
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Take your time and plan ahead. Driving isn't that hard if you just don't get in a hurry or get overconfident. Most issues arise when you get into a situation that you didn't see coming IE a busy parking lot with no way to exit without backing out or a low bridge on a narrow road with no turnouts.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #65

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Look at all the semi trucks on the road. Those people all had to learn.
When I was driving I preferred the semi to my own vehicle. Found it easier and more comfortable, especially on a long haul.
Yup.. Ever get back to the yard after spending a month or so on the road jump in the pickup and within a few miles have a cop pull you over .. just to remind you that you do not have that 53 foot trailer behind you and that You don't have to "swing wide"?? ... OR automatically pull into the weigh stations/Ports of Entry?...
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #66

I have a 26.5 ' Class C and Honda CRV toad. Mine has good road manners, so I find it easy to drive. Using tow bars, I don't even know the toad is back there. I like being up higher to see the road better than in the car. Took me all of about an hour to feel perfectly comfortable the first time. By the way, I'm an old gal travelling alone so anybody can do it.
captlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yup.. Ever get back to the yard after spending a month or so on the road jump in the pickup and within a few miles have a cop pull you over .. just to remind you that you do not have that 53 foot trailer behind you and that You don't have to "swing wide"?? ... OR automatically pull into the weigh stations/Ports of Entry?...
I didnít think RVís pull into weight stations?
bpu699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #68

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
I didnít think RVís pull into weight stations?
When You are a long haul truck driver that is out on the road for weeks/months at a time..work habits sometimes over rule the RV/4 wheeler's carefree mindset.. ie: You see that the POE/scales are open.. you automatically pull in..then about 30' from the scales..SWMBO reminds You that you are driving a Scion xB and are only 15' long...not 75'.. and don't need a logbook or need to swing wide for turns....
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #69
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
When You are a long haul truck driver that is out on the road for weeks/months at a time..work habits sometimes over rule the RV/4 wheeler's carefree mindset.. ie: You see that the POE/scales are open.. you automatically pull in..then about 30' from the scales..SWMBO reminds You that you are driving a Scion xB and are only 15' long...not 75'.. and don't need a logbook or need to swing wide for turns....
I never swung wide but couldn't find the Brownie stick a couple of times. One exception was in a 1964 ish KW cabover (K100?). An O/O hired me and pulled the stick off the stub when he was in the bunk. At least I knew they came off for tilting the cab.

Been reminded a few times not to pull into the scales, "Why are you slowing down? You don't have to weigh?"

Tags
motor, motorhome, newbie