Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

What's the best way to finance?

I will be buying a used RV and will need to finance it. Does anyone have any advice or tips on this?

Should I go with dealer financing?

I see Good Sam Club offers financing are they good?

Thanks
jmk909er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get quotes from them all. Then go with the lowest % one.

Or use the one willing to give you a loan on a used MH. Unless it is too old for them to be interested.

Several places to get quotes.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk909er View Post
I will be buying a used RV and will need to finance it. Does anyone have any advice or tips on this?

Thanks
Dealer financing will usually sell it off to another bank but they will give you the percentage rate so you know what you are looking at. I would see what they offer like Good Sam and others also. Rates can vary but are usually around 3.9% with good credit unless things have changed drastically over the last year or so. Age and type of RV are also going to come into play so we have no idea what you are looking to do.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk909er View Post

Thanks
do yourself a favour and wait and pay cash. U finance it ; pay for 4 years and its worth less than what you owe
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

cash is best..

but get your own financing... not there's ..

re-handled = several people making money off of you.

local bank, credit union. etc.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Be sue to checkout Essex, usually best rate, good people. Just be prepared, they are slow. We've used them twice now.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Good Sams used rate is only for 2008 or newer.
I was pre approved my Good Sams when I bought my new Voltage. Dealer beat there rate through B of A by 1 1/4 points so I went with dealer.
Check around if you have very good credit like I do you should be able to save some $$
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Be sue to checkout Essex, usually best rate, good people. Just be prepared, they are slow. We've used them twice now.
Thanks for the tip DGBPokes
jmk909er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Cash isn't always the best option. There are lots of reason to carry a bit of debt.

If using cash means you cash in IRA's or 401K's to acquire the cash, there are very heavy tax implication to doing that. Taking $200K from a protected account will have significant impact on your tax liability and even effect your Medicare premiums. Even if you are over 59 1/2 and no penalty incurred.

In these cases, financing is a better option....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
A dealer I was talking to highly recommended Vystar Credit Union www.vystarcu.org. You can see their (lowest) rates on their site. Naturally you'd have to join the credit union if you chose to borrow from them, but supposedly that's easy to do.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #11

Good Sam and Essex are basically the same. If you use Good Sam, you will go through Essex, we did. Easy process, quick and they were very timely for us. You can go to the Essex page and see the rates.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #12

Cash is not always the best option, especially with today's low interest rates.
Put enough down so that the value of the coach stays ahead of depreciation. Mostly it's just an estimate but if it is conservative you will hopefully be on the ball park. The idea is that is something happens you can get out without having a big Baloon payment.
As to who to finance with; lots of variables but I would certainly entertain what the dealer offers.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

Credit unions typically have great rates but if you are looking for those long term loans they typically don't offer them and they typically require more down.

Either way when working the deal act like you are happy and lucky to use their financing and want every warranty they offer. You have a good chance they will give you a killer price because they are counting on taking you to the cleaners on financing and warranty.

I thought they were going to kill me when I got my own financing and wanted No warranty. My wife thought the finance woman was actually going to cry. Seriously a 5 year warranty for over $12,000 on a $60,000 rv is crazy. $12,000 is a lot of repairs in 5 years.

PS. Always work the price with the sales person and never the payment. The payment is negotiated with the finance officer.
gentilebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Cash isn't always the best option. There are lots of reason to carry a bit of debt.

If using cash means you cash in IRA's or 401K's to acquire the cash, there are very heavy tax implication to doing that. Taking $200K from a protected account will have significant impact on your tax liability and even effect your Medicare premiums. Even if you are over 59 1/2 and no penalty incurred.

In these cases, financing is a better option....
So many people don't see this till it's too late. My friend went against sound advice, took 400k from his 401k to pay off his retirement home, and ended up owing 70k in 2015 for taxes on his now 500k annual income. And with the stock market experiencing a 'Trump Bump', I'd advise riding that for a year.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote