Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBlogger View Post
Hello All,

I own a 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest with Ford V-10 engine, which is a Class C RV, and I get about 8.8 mpg.

My question is can I increase my MPG somehow other than driving 55 mph and making sure my tires are inflated properly?
Gas engines seem to not get very good MPG in general but one thing that I found that helped a bit was replacing all fluids, tranny, and rear end with synthetics also adding a bit of Bestline products to them helps with the resistance but over 50 MPH most of the gas is going towards pushing that big front end down the road...whatever you can do if anything on that front will help more then anything else..Shell just ran a semi loaded across country and got way better mileage here is the link https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ss-country-run
frodo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #86

I’m still very new to my Class A (used 2014 Newmar Dutchstar 40’), but I recently returned from Florida to Texas (very flat terrain) and my trip computer showed 8.5 mpg for the return trip. I kept my speed between 62 and 65. About 60% of the traffic would pass me. But, I kept a very steady speed..almost no passing. I was quite surprise my mpg was that high.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #87

Send a message via Skype™ to Mallard35
Quote:
That was a great answer! Thanks!
I heard getting better spark plugs and a better air intake may be an option too. I'm curious to see if anyone comes up with that as a recommendation too.
Yes... I had the exact same engine and the same issues with mileage (roughly 9 to 10 no matter what) with a Ford E350 15 pax van converted into a small RV. I wasn't as heavy as you but still had crap mileage.

I installed Pulstar plugs and installed higher voltage coils (these are over each plug).

My mileage went to 12 ~ 14 in the city and 17~ 18 on the highway. I had extraordinary power. More so than before this change.

Pulstar plugs burn all the fuel, not just some of it. The plug is actually a plasma device creating 5 million watts of power into a tiny plasma bead. A regular plug creates roughly 30 watts of power at apx. 3,000 rpm. 80% of your fuel is never burned.

Kathy & I traveled 40,000 miles over 18 months. Our savings was worth the small investment.

Here is a short documentary we made 6 years ago, the first time we used these plugs. It was in a 4X4 Chevy Suburban. We went up to 19mpg with that one across Texas! Typical (as I recall) was around 16mpg. The video explains it all.

Xpeditions TV: 28,000 Miles

The greatest thing to consider with your situation is the weight. You will experience much greater horsepower. It remains to be seen what increase you'll have in mpg. I'm certain you will have much-improved performance.

One additional item; Because you are gas powered it is important to consider the age of your cat-converter. If it is even slightly clogged your performance and mpg will certainly suffer.

At this time I have this on our "toad", a 6 cylinder Jeep Rubicon. Since I installed the high output coil and Pulstar Plugs it is more like a Chevy 327 engine... It goes nicely!

I also have these plugs on my 1150 BMW GS Adventure (motorcycle). Incredible differences there!!!!

And in case you're wondering what our affiliation is with Pulstar... We have none. It's just a fantastic product few know about.

I hope this helps : )

Best Wishes
Jerry Wills
Xpeditions, Inc.
Mallard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #88

Guess again - 2002 Travel Supreme 40DS 8.8 liter Cummins averages 10mpg. No tow vehicle - carry a motorcycle on a rear lift. I drive at 60mpg in the economy mode, which I guess affects shifting by the Allison 6 speed transmission.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #89

Send a message via ICQ to Farfman Send a message via AIM to Farfman
Quote:
Hello All,

I own a 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest with Ford V-10 engine, which is a Class C RV, and I get about 8.8 mpg.

My question is can I increase my MPG somehow other than driving 55 mph and making sure my tires are inflated properly?
Is what it is. Happy trails.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #90

Different spark plugs may give you better fuel mileage but don't count on it. That Pulstar plug sounds interesting. As for a cold air system, by what I'v read air temperature between OEM and after market very small difference if any. Disclaimer: If you are pulling engine bay air yes a after market cold air system would make a difference. The only thing you will gain with a cold air system is more air flow and less trapped dirt unless the filter area of the filter is twice as large and filters as well as a OEM filter. Even getting more air isn't going to change the air to fuel ratio because that is managed by the computer. If the computer sees the engine running lean it will have the fuel injectors allow more fuel and vise versa. So you best result would have a professional tuner to reprogram the computer. He shouldn't lean the engine out so far as to burn the pistons or valves.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #91

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Quote:
Hello All,

Drive even slower. If I travel at 49 mph I get 12 mpg.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #92

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't bear to get less than 9 mpg so I lie. My log book is more honest and if I drive 55 I get 8.4, at 65 I get 7.1 Since I've retired I have a lot more time than money.
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I worked for a company that did MPG Testing on split-fire
Spark plugs 20 years ago. They didn’t make any difference.
I remember an ad that guaranteed they'd outperform your old worn out sparks plugs.

Well, I recon. The old worn out spark plugs were worn out.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Get an engine monitor display that connects to your OBD port. There are systems for diesel and gas engines using PC or phone displays. You will be able to observe "instantaneous" and "rolling" (some short period) mpg. They will also show overall mpg and/or trip mpg. A glance at those mpg monitors will show you exactly what the best combination of pedal, gear, and speed is.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
May make more power At lower RPMs but still not saving gas.

You are correct except in the hills when it now doesn't downshift
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #96

Solo Rvers Club
Only drive downhill with the wind at your back.........
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #97

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpeditionsTV View Post
Yes... I had the exact same engine and the same issues with mileage (roughly 9 to 10 no matter what) with a Ford E350 15 pax van converted into a small RV. I wasn't as heavy as you but still had crap mileage.

I installed Pulstar plugs and installed higher voltage coils (these are over each plug).

My mileage went to 12 ~ 14 in the city and 17~ 18 on the highway. I had extraordinary power. More so than before this change.

Pulstar plugs burn all the fuel, not just some of it. The plug is actually a plasma device creating 5 million watts of power into a tiny plasma bead. A regular plug creates roughly 30 watts of power at apx. 3,000 rpm. 80% of your fuel is never burned.

Kathy & I traveled 40,000 miles over 18 months. Our savings was worth the small investment.

Here is a short documentary we made 6 years ago, the first time we used these plugs. It was in a 4X4 Chevy Suburban. We went up to 19mpg with that one across Texas! Typical (as I recall) was around 16mpg. The video explains it all.

Xpeditions TV: 28,000 Miles

The greatest thing to consider with your situation is the weight. You will experience much greater horsepower. It remains to be seen what increase you'll have in mpg. I'm certain you will have much-improved performance.

One additional item; Because you are gas powered it is important to consider the age of your cat-converter. If it is even slightly clogged your performance and mpg will certainly suffer.

At this time I have this on our "toad", a 6 cylinder Jeep Rubicon. Since I installed the high output coil and Pulstar Plugs it is more like a Chevy 327 engine... It goes nicely!

I also have these plugs on my 1150 BMW GS Adventure (motorcycle). Incredible differences there!!!!

And in case you're wondering what our affiliation is with Pulstar... We have none. It's just a fantastic product few know about.

I hope this helps : )

Best Wishes
Jerry Wills
Xpeditions, Inc.
All I can say is ""

only way plugs will help is if your existing plugs are beyond bad. Otherwise this is more witchcraft and superstition. Reminds me of the 1960's and the "fire injector" spark plugs. Only thing any of these do is make more money for the sellers. If these worked they would be in every drag racer's car on the planet. I have never seen ONE anywhere. There is a reason for that.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
You are correct except in the hills when it now doesn't downshift
Down-shifting has no harmful effect on gas mileage. If you lug a motor you burn more fuel than if you run it up into its power band. Otherwise everyone would use gearing to turn the motor at 700 RPM.

Only thing down-shifting bothers is the passengers. NOT the fuel economy. SPEED is the thing that needs controlling, along with BRAKING.