Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #211
rkf

Banks has some equipment that my help you, but by the time you pay for the equipment you in the red for awhile.
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #212

Another big factor to fuel economy is wind resistance. The bigger wind signature you have the worse the economy. There is a lot of wind tunnel research out there that says this square front end is going to drink fuel. This is why I have never understood why they design these big boxes with a square flat front end. Not much you can do about it. RV and dont worry about the fuel. Take a look at big trucks that are passing you by and notice the things put in place to manage the wind on the rig.
vikingboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #213

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingboy1 View Post
Another big factor to fuel economy is wind resistance. The bigger wind signature you have the worse the economy. There is a lot of wind tunnel research out there that says this square front end is going to drink fuel. This is why I have never understood why they design these big boxes with a square flat front end. Not much you can do about it. RV and dont worry about the fuel. Take a look at big trucks that are passing you by and notice the things put in place to manage the wind on the rig.
Perhaps have someone push up hills Super kid works for candyClick image for larger version

Name:	20190102_134144.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	233061
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #214

Commercial Member

Why do so many want to blame external stuff like the wind or mechanical stuff like the engine when the biggest contributor is the person behind the steering wheel?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Why do so many want to blame external stuff like the wind or mechanical stuff like the engine when the biggest contributor is the person behind the steering wheel?
Because, sometimes it is a mechanical issue...c

and not addressing an issue could get really expensive.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 AM   #216

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Because, sometimes it is a mechanical issue...c

and not addressing an issue could get really expensive.

Yup but if you keep an eye on yourfuel exonomy as most can do with today's electronic engine management systems any serious mechanical issue shoule be noticable if paying attention.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 AM   #217

What's the best way to increase my MPG?

The big V-10 observation:

Idle = meh

Light throttle = impressive

Partial throttle = very poor fuel economy.

Full throttle = watch the 80 gallons disappear.

A tune that gives partial throttle economy would be better than the current all-beast throttle setup.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
The big V-10 observation:

A tune that gives partial throttle economy would be better than the current all-beast throttle setup.

Just note that "tune" comes at a consequence. It would be wise to research the consequence to any tune you choose so you know the pit falls. Any "tune" will come at a cost/risk to the engine! (could be higher engine damage risk or emission related)
There is a reason why vehicle manufactures don't "tune" the engines at the factory for best fuel economy or HP output. Otherwise, "custom tuning" would be a great marketing selling point from the factory.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #219

Monaco Owners Club
Also, to add to the other comments about pinging, if your engine is running hot (poor cooling system, clogged radiator, faulty thermostat, etc.) that can cause pinging (engine knock) because the cylinder head temperatures can get (much) higher than normal which can lead to pre-ignition.

All modern engine have knock sensors. As mentioned, when the engine knocks the computer retards timing. That can result in poor fuel economy. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...a-knock-sensor

So, if the engine is running hot and knock sensor retards timing, fuel mileage can suffer - in this case running a higher octane fuel may result in less "pinging" and therefore engine runs a full/normal timing advance, and fuel mileage will be better. Of course the proper fix is to repair your cooling system not run higher octane fuel.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #220

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The knock is from advanced timming.

The engine controls start advancing the timming at higher RPMs, to get the fuel to start burning sooner. If they don't start the burn sooner, the faster moving piston is already on the way down.

If the knock sensor hears the knock, because of regular gas, it retards the timing, firing the spark later, until it doesn't hear it any more.

Higher octane gas burns slower, so less knock. It just not cost effective for the slight increase in maximum HP it offers.

If your not holding the pedal to the floor, your not using all of the power your engine has available. Unless you drive like that, better gas , super tunes, or any other enhancement isn't going to help.

All max HP stats are under load with the throttles wide open.
Absolutely Correct: Wiley one was confusing pinging with dieseling as can happen in a gas engine, And, I agree, it is not cost effective UNLESS you want maximum power.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #221

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptronNZ View Post
Wiley one was confusing pinging with dieseling as can happen in a gas engine.
Actually, "pinging" is a slang term for pre-detonation. Let's break that word down. "pre" means an event that happens before another event. "detonation" is an explosion. So, pinging is what you might hear when an explosion occurs before it is supposed to occur.

"Dieseling" is a synonym for "run-on". If your gas engine keeps running after you turn off the key. it is usually caused by overheating.

I'm not sure why I'm still following this discussion. My Triton V-10 neither pings nor diesels. I use only regular grade 87 fuel because Ford says to use regular and it costs less. I have no idea why anybody would choose to spend more to put premium in my vehicle.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBlogger View Post
Hello All,

I own a 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest with Ford V-10 engine, which is a Class C RV, and I get about 8.8 mpg.

My question is can I increase my MPG somehow other than driving 55 mph and making sure my tires are inflated properly?
60 mph
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #223

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
60 mph
Don't complain. Soundslije your doing okay. You could try traveling with the least weight possible. Just enough fresh water to get to next rv hook up. Empty tanks. Go through rv and take out things you won't need on this trip. Less weight meabs better mpg.[emoji10]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #224

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
the biggest issue with the v10 is it doesnt have the knock sensor sensitivity to really take advantage of what the electronics can offer. For one, its the exact same number of sensors as the 4.6 motor but having to find the 'optimum' timing curve for 25percent more cyls. Individual cyls can be too close to the limits of knock to really allow aggressive fuel and timing maps.