Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi baraff,
The average Joe will afford whatever he wants to spend his $s on. In a capitalist, free enterprise society, over time all things equal out. I see a bright future for the RV industry. I have put in place the actions that will ensure I can participate as long as I want to.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you are going to see some changes but not a wholw lot.
I think for example you will see diesels going into some of the smaller RVs.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I would venture to guess that more than 1/2 the members to this forum have above average income;
Of course that means that both the husband and wife have worked their butts off.
50 years ago the husband went to work, the wife stayed home and took care of the home and kids; this is not common today.

O for the good old days.
yes back then our camping was in a tent;
Do we have more enjoyment in our big motorhomes and trailers"? I can't think for everyone, But I believe I enjoyed it more then.
I would agree with you about the majority of members in this forum having above average income. The average income is roughly around $50k. It is unlikely that anybody is going to buy a new RV and get a loan from the bank in if their income is much below that.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #18

Talk like this happened last time our economy went down and look what happened. RV makers downsized, some went belly up and supplies started to go out the windows. Can it happen again? I keep a watch. Most of survived the last attack.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #19

As long as there are folks who can afford it, RV's will probably be around. By "afford it" I mean pay cash or have the ability to pay off the loan at any time, as well as comfortably absorb increasing fuel costs. I do think that tightened financing requirements are a good thing. We were guilty of using the HELOC "personal atm" on an RV in the past, but won't make that mistake again.

An RV is guaranteed to depreciate. As more people come to grips with their real financial picture, I'm sure that fewer will view going into debt for an RV as a wise choice. Result: Fewer RV's manufactured.

Bottom line: There will be those with sufficient funds to buy and operate RV's, but I bet the number of those folks will decrease, probably fairly rapidly over the next generation. Expect significant industry consolidation and hopefully more discerning buyers demanding higher quality.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #20

I think there will be more of a demand for smaller ,more fuel efficient rvs. More manufacturers going out of business, i certainly wish campgrounds would lower theIr prices, some are just over priced. I also think as voiced here, that most will take less trips and trips will be nearer to home
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
When we started thinking of something with hard sides and off the ground (we tented for 30+years) we encountered the program on the Travel Chanel, RV Crazy, and liked the idea of a teardrop trailer.
Teardrops date back to the 30's near as I can tell and can be as simple or elaborate as you wish and can be pulled by the family car (we have a Subaru).
Ours has most everything you have in a large RV stereo, TV, satalite, shower (outside in shower tent) porta potty (uses same tent) water heater sink cook top, AC and Eberspacher heater, solar panels off road suspension... this with a full queen size bed. the construction is composites and with an all aluminum frame.
A few of the US manufacturers are getting the message and increasingly we see use of composites and lighter weight materials but so many are old technology and are built like tanks and not like aircraft.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to mariogeneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosedale
I think what you will see is a change in what our rigs burn for fuel. For example instead of DP, you might see NGP (natural gas pusher). Of course I will continue using my coach, might just be short trips and longer stays. We enjoy camping and have for years.

We don't have an unlimited amount of money, but we are going to enjoy ourselves and if that mean, one less trip, or less eating out, we will make it work for us. We have always figured out how to live within our means and do what we enjoy and that is camping.

So I think the bottom line will be the consumer, if RVing is your thing, you will figure out how to do it not matter how much fuel costs.

Now thats my 2 cents worth and I am sticking to it.
My sentiment exactly
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a good morning coffee subject. This is what I think as well. I think the newer designs will lean more toward the Super 'B's and there will be a smaller demand for new class 'A's. The used class 'A's will have an average demand. However, for a couple years the panic sellers will keep the prices/values of the 'A's low until a 'floor' value is established. As for attrition in numbers, we can do a lot to influence those intersted but afraid of gas prices. I am often asked how I can afford the gas price. In answering I explain that a typical RV is driven point to point and towed used to get around town. Simple math, driving 5,000 miles a year at 10 MPG (for simplicity) at $4 per gal = $2000. If gas were $2/gal, this would be $1000 per year in fuel. If $1000 a year in extra fuel is an issue, I can reduce how far I drive. I'll be keeping mine (at least until the next tornado).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #24

This same topic appears everytime there is a jump in fuel prices. I see it as a never ending saga. There are those that panic and say "whoa, we can't afford it". However, I believe it is a matter of priorities. We live on the road and are not stopping traveling. This is our passion and what we love. Truly, what we pay for fuel is less than what we paid for property taxes, so it's all relative.

Fuel prices will continue to rise, so the wiser thing is to look at how you can adjust to keep costs down (driving less, staying longer for example), but understand you will pay more to travel. Don't sweat it and enjoy the ride, because it is definitely worth it.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Changes ?

There are some changes I would like to see and some of them are happening now. For instance lighter rigs, use of small diesels, smaller rigs. Take a surf of RV rigs in the UK and you will see a smaller lighter rig with a tent attached to increase living space, they call it an awning but it is a fabric room with heater and electricity as the UK can get chilly even in the summer.

RV'rs and the RV industry will adapt and change, not without some hard choices though.

If I had to I could go back to tenting or a pop up just wouldn't want to until I had to....

I have camped, tented, in europe and it was a blast ! Of course I was a lot younger. I remember camps within some towns and cities and even tent sites had electricity and water. Some camps had cafe's and clubs to go dancing!
I am glad I did it when I did it lots of good memories
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We, personally, have lived in bad times eating spaghetti with catchup as a sauce. That is just one example, I have more but here is my point.

During those times, we survived. Then, as time went on we learned to manage our money and to save for those good times. I remember living in Hawaii for 3 years between 1965 and 1968. In order to go downtown for a nights entertainment we had to save up for 3 months, put a little money aside as we could.

So, in today's times, if it gets so bad, we will save up for that tank full of fuel, travel, stay put, and save again for another tank full of fuel. We are survivors, and now there is Ragu!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Wayne,
The key to survival is resourcefulness, which you seem to be in plentiful supply.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the electric powered RV is not as far off as a lot of people think. I think it will be diesel assisted & as previously suggested have a range of 300+ miles per charge, lighter composite materials & with the use of the generator or 50 amp CG power be able to recharge within a 12 hour period. We already have mass transit busses that are is use in our cities & they are the size of a 30-40' class A.
But in the mean time I as many of you have stated will continue as I am and make provisions where nessasary.