Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's the future of the RV industry?

If fuel prices continue to escalate, as they probably will long term, I think the current state of the RV manufacturing industry is unsustainable. The average Joe will just not be able to afford paying $6+ fuel costs + the cost of a rig.
I'm curious as to what participants on this forum think the industry might evolve to.
I think change is inevitable. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas? Maybe we can get some good ideas here.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Go green and take a span of horses.
If you can't stand the sight, have them push...
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #3

IMHO I really think people will still buy RV's. I think we will see more full timers also. The reason being you can live full time in an RV and if you stay in one place for a length of time, it is cheaper than owning a house or living in an apartment. I lived in an RV (5th wheel) for 3 years and found it to be a good bit cheaper than owning a house with a pool. Been there done that! I am now re-married and living back in a house and we have a motor home to travel. But if push came to shove and our finances changed, we would go to full timing in a heart beat. Its a great life!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Europe has paid over $5-6. per gallon ($9+ now) for many years with a large RV group...
"You do what you want to do!)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #5

I don't see an end to the RV industry. I do see a lot of changes coming but don't know what they will be as people are sometimes unpredectable. I know prices are still up for new and used RV's and a few new RV parks are opening and old ones changing hands and being upgraded. I won't quit but I will change as needed.
That's my story and I"am sticking to it . hehehe
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

I think the RV industry will add a cargo area behind the coach so we can haul freight from point A to point B and get paid for traveling. That way we might be able to afford the whole thing.... or... if you can find one of these washed up music stars that still does touring you could drive them around and get paid for traveling....

I think the RV industry has had it too easy and needs to re-invent themselves if they want to survive. They need better aerodynamic coaches, better fuel millage engines and coaches everyone can afford. A smaller 30' aerodynamic coach that gets 15-18 mpg and has 4 slides for room would be a big hit. Having real (heavy) wood cabinets, tile floors, mirrored walls, granite counter tops and all that will have to be a thing of the past.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The future of RVing started when gas hit $1 a gal. and has been debated as gas goes to$2,$3 and $4 a gal and you know what people are still forking over mucho pesos for big rigs. Everything is relative!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

Europe has very few large RVs; mostly small 4 cylinder diesels, only the wealthy use those, the commoner folks do there camping in tents.
I believe were heading this way; the haves and the have nots.
I've been in florida for the past 50 years and I have seen the slow change in tourists that visit here. It's nearly impossible for the average person to buy a home here. most campgrounds are upgrading to handle the larger more expensive motorhomes and trailers. And the camp fees are increasing.
The full hookup campgrounds fill up and the forest service camps with no hookups stay empty.

I would venture to guess that more than 1/2 the members to this forum have above average income;
Of course that means that both the husband and wife have worked their butts off.
50 years ago the husband went to work, the wife stayed home and took care of the home and kids; this is not common today.

O for the good old days.
yes back then our camping was in a tent;
Do we have more enjoyment in our big motorhomes and trailers"? I can't think for everyone, But I believe I enjoyed it more then.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #9

I hope that reliable electric hub motors find their way into class a RV's. I think most of us would gladly give up a storage bay or two for a daily range of 200-300 miles. We already have a generator on board. A roof of solar panels is becoming more practical with these new flexible solar panels. Private camp grounds could become even more attractive if they all began to offer 50 amp service to charge these things even if they charged for for it. Motor homes could become more expensive because they would have to build them more like cars and less like boxes. But in any event, I think everything will change but probably for the better.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #10

The same issue was discussed when gas went to $1.00/gal. The industries was to makew bigger/more expensive rigs. Again when it went to $2.00/gal. same reaction from the industry. Ditto For $3.00. and I'm sure ditto for $4.00 or $5.00 or $6.00. Who would have thought 15 yrs ago gas coachs would be in excess of $300K. Or $500K diesels?
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I hope that reliable electric hub motors find their way into class a RV's. I think most of us would gladly give up a storage bay or two for a daily range of 200-300 miles. We already have a generator on board. A roof of solar panels is becoming more practical with these new flexible solar panels. Private camp grounds could become even more attractive if they all began to offer 50 amp service to charge these things even if they charged for for it. Motor homes could become more expensive because they would have to build them more like cars and less like boxes. But in any event, I think everything will change but probably for the better.
Some interesting ideas here.....I'm not sure we'll see this in our lifetimes but maybe your kids will.
Its the classic chicken vs egg thing. With no infrastructure to support it innovation in electric motor technology is stifled. And vice-versa. Maybe someone should study how the automobile and the fossil fuel industry came together.
Most would say Henry Ford started it. We need an RV Henry Ford.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I think what you will see is a change in what our rigs burn for fuel. For example instead of DP, you might see NGP (natural gas pusher). Of course I will continue using my coach, might just be short trips and longer stays. We enjoy camping and have for years.

We don't have an unlimited amount of money, but we are going to enjoy ourselves and if that mean, one less trip, or less eating out, we will make it work for us. We have always figured out how to live within our means and do what we enjoy and that is camping.

So I think the bottom line will be the consumer, if RVing is your thing, you will figure out how to do it not matter how much fuel costs.

Now thats my 2 cents worth and I am sticking to it.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
just remember plug ins run on coal
and we only have a few hundred years worth left
the real problem is that humans live for 75-95 years but think we will live forever
amazing thing is we worry how people will get their transportation,heat and other petro products if we run out as we only have a few hundred years of known resources.BUT we stick them with debt for the next generation.
drill baby drill ,we will have a hard time dealing with all that success
i plan on spending all mine ,cause what left goes to the govt. and my kids and neither one knows how to handle it well
brianj
brianj
Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
If you want to know what the rv manufacturers and market will do just go back a couple of years to when the last time gas prices were high. The RV manufacturers cut back on production and I believe some went out of business. However, the used RV market was a bargain hunters dream. I think you may even see some manufacturers discontinue some models.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote