Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #15

Buy used for your first RV. Sounds like you are looking at fifth wheels and Class C MH. If you get a fifth wheel, you may need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. If you have a half ton, you are probably limited to travel trailers.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #16

We bought a C because it boiled down to either spend 10's of thousands on a truck that would pull a decent size pull behind then have to drive it all the time or buy a C that included the truck and let us take one of out daily drivers along on a dolly. You can get what you want in a C with the possible exception of a solid door. For sound you are better off with a heavy curtain. The chassis on the C's is generally good for a couple hundred thousand miles so I would be more concerned with the condition of the house than the chassis. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Buy what you like, can afford and keep it.
Some people buy too small
Some buy too large
Some buy due to the colors
Some buy because they think it's cute
Then they change their minds
Some get divorced
Some need more room for kids
Some need less room when the kids are gone (we went from the 35' gas rig to a 38' DSDP, then a 40' DSDP and now a 45' since the kids left)
Lots of reasons, and a lot of them are different than others.

That just about covers it all!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There's an expression that you should buy your third RV first. Some people buy there first RV first, and then trade it in for their second RV. They usually get it right the third time.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #19

We figured we would buy new as almost all the used ones we've seen smelled of pet/body order, were dirty and didn't look like they were very well kept by the owners and this was on 50, 60, 70 thousand dollar class C's.

So far the biggest dealer we've looked at is La Mesa RV in Sanford, FL (we have a small one here too).

We figured we would pay cash, that way it eliminates a lot of headaches besides, the banks we check with weren't doing anyone any favors on loan percentages and we both have great credit.

Time wise is no problem, he's retired and I'm on permanent comp due to injuries I received in the line of duty.

If we went with a class C we figured we would get a couple of scooters and hang them off the back when in transit, we would use them to get around on when in permanent camp.

As Nothermark said, we are a bit hesitant on a pull along as it would require us to trade the van in and then get a heavy duty pickup truck which we would have to use as a regular driver and my dad doesn't want that, he likes the option of being able to access the rear of the van without getting out of the vehicle.

Although the pull along trailers are so much cheaper than the class C's are and offer more space inside.

We looked into renting but the cost for just a week is thousands, which is as much as a good percentage down on buying one outright.

The other thing we found strange is the dealers made out like the advertised price was what you pay but like with buying a new car we have never paid sticker price.

Is that how the pricing really works with RV's?

On most we've seen none had exactly what we wanted inside or the lay out wasn't exactly how we wanted it, we feel we would be compromising if we bought anything we have seen so far.

We want it to be exactly right seeing how we will be keeping it for many years but mostly don't want to regret buying it in any way.
IrishRifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRifles View Post
On most we've seen none had exactly what we wanted inside or the lay out wasn't exactly how we wanted it, we feel we would be compromising if we bought anything we have seen so far.
I think this is always a tough one. Unless you've got oodles of money to have something built exactly to your custom specs - virtually anything and everything you look at will end up being a compromise in one fashion or another. Factory ordering a new unit will put you in a position to at least control some of the choices. Buying a unit from dealer stock or a used unit - it's pretty much a "take it or leave" it proposition.

If you're on a budget - the best you can do is research what's potentially available, know both what it is you want as well as what it is you don't want - and leave yourself plenty of time to look for and find it.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I think this is always a tough one. Unless you've got oodles of money to have something built exactly to your custom specs - virtually anything and everything you look at will end up being a compromise in one fashion or another. Factory ordering a new unit will put you in a position to at least control some of the choices. Buying a unit from dealer stock or a used unit - it's pretty much a "take it or leave" it proposition.

If you're on a budget - the best you can do is research what's potentially available, know both what it is you want as well as what it is you don't want - and leave yourself plenty of time to look for and find it.
Budget is not a problem (within reason), as we are both splitting the cost of everything.
We thought about custom ordering but even with that we still might not be able to get everything we want as some things we were told by the dealerships are standard.
The things we won't compromise on it the separate bedroom with good privacy door, separate bathroom accessible from outside the bedroom and the over the driver's/passenger seats sleeping area for me.
A couch and other things in the middle
Old 06-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #22

The only thing I see as a problem is the solid door. Most are folders, some are sliders, going into the bedroom from the bathroom hall. I would *not* buy new. There are a lot of units around newer with high miles or older that can be had for ~$15,000. Find one that is close to what you want and use it for a year. Then decide to trade it or sell it or keep it for a while. Whatever you get you will find a bunch of things you want different after you live in it for a while. You will probably trade it for what you paid for it. You will lose a lot less than you will buying new and making those discoveries.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #23

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the smaller class A units that have the overhead bunk in the front? The Thor A.C.E. comes to mind. The Thor ACE 29.9 sounds like it would meet your requirements. Separate bedroom, closed off bathroom, full bed over the cockpit area. Fleetwood offers the same set up in the Bounder as well. It may be worth looking into.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #24

Quote:
I'm not ready yet to make the leap and buy one but my reasons being is I am looking like crazy for the perfect one to fit my needs first.

I'm torn between a class C and maybe a pull along.

My biggest dilemma is the fact that so many people buy one and then sell it back to the dealer they bought it from only a short time later, what is up with that?

What is the real deal in owning an RV?
How often do you plan on using it - full time or what?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #25

X2 on renting something similar to what you are interested in first. For me I tried many on for size (I'm 6-4) before mine fell in my lap (estate sale). I can stand in the shower, my head clears the AC, I fit on the bed and there's ample room for the two of us (no guests unless they tent it)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #26

nothermark: a slider as I have actually seen would do fine.
Folders are just heavy paper/fabric you can almost see through.
Used, we did find one nice class C that the dealer said an elderly couple had bought new then decided to traded in only months later, dropping the price from 62k they paid new to 52k the dealership was asking for it.

Scatterbrain: yes we did but the ones we looked at were a lot more than we needed and a lot more trouble to store than we wanted, not to mention a lot more price wise.

dexters: as much as we can, right now we are anxious to get one so we can hit the road and go west. I can't even say how much/how many as we just decide to pack up and go all the time on the spur of the moment with just the mini van.

bill06447: We would but we estimated it will cost about 5 thousand dollars including everything just for one weeks rental and that's crazy.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #27

Quote:
dexters: as much as we can, right now we are anxious to get one so we can hit the road and go west. I can't even say how much/how many as we just decide to pack up and go all the time on the spur of the moment with just the mini van.
I would say you should look into a travel trailer that fits you - think of clothing - nothing too small or too large. If you are thinking of going out west you should have a good pick up.

I would not advise your plan below. You would want something to travel with and see the sights.

"If we went with a class C we figured we would get a couple of scooters and hang them off the back when in transit, we would use them to get around on when in permanent camp."
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Go to a dealers, ditch the salesman and sit in a coach for an hour. Pretend you are living in it during a rain. Can each of you relax without being in the others space. Do you have sufficient space to prepare meals or mend uniforms. Can you move around without having to disturb the other. It may take several iterations with different layouts until you find the floor plan that suits you. Once you know what you are looking for the search will be easier.

Purchasing a used C or a used truck and trailer may be comparable. An extended cab truck will have sufficient room that can be used the same as a small van.

Good luck in your search.