Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I do get the idea of a deposit before showing up. I had a MH I went to see. 4 hours. It was sold before I got to see the mh.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
An all cash offer is tempting to accept, but questions may arise as to the legality of its origin when deposited to the bank in your account.

Drug Money being laundered with a legit cash transaction?
Hmm, Really? We're looking to buy and it's all cash...the only drugs involved in the ibuprofen I take for arthritis. Just sayin...
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
So another question, aside from cash, verified to be non-counterfeit and counted three times, what is the safest non-cash instrument?

Postal Money order, Certified check, cashier check? something else? My least concern would be taking the title to a bank where the buyer had gotten a loan, and trading the title for a check from said bank. But, I shouldn't rule out an all cash transaction either.

In this part of the country, because of the marijuana industry, bags of cash used for large purchases isn't unheard of.
Wiring the money from there account to yours may be an optional.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Wiring the money from there account to yours may be an optional.
Wire transfer from bank to bank is what we have done on large transactions.

The buyer looks over the vehicle, if all is well he calls his bank and tells them to go ahead with the transfer. A few minutes later, you call your bank to verify the transfer is solid, and hand him the keys.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #19
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
All cash? First thing in my feeble brain is that it the cash is counterfeit and you'll be stuck with it.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craigslist musts:
Cash only
No trades
Must come to see it
No someone else to pick it up
Cash only
If it sounds to good..
No low ballers
No nick pickers
Cash only
No address where its at
Must call
No poor english
Cash only
No sob stories
No overseas anything
Cash only
Dont give them the license plate/tags
No third party buyers
Cash only
Wonder why I buy new any more?
Old 02-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Cash isn't something I'd rule out. 15 years ago, yes. Nowadays, not so much.

My mom retired from the IRS in Denver. When that state legalized pot, the "industry" blossomed. Without access to the banking system, it was an all cash business.

Not wanting to get hung out to dry for tax evasion, and unable to pay taxes with electronic transfers, the growers would show up with suitcases full of cash to pay federal taxes. The IRS had empty offices and closets piled full of Benjamins. She said that they were afraid to go to work in case today was the day that someone landed a stolen helicopter on the roof and robbed the place.

Houses are, from what I've heard, routinely sold for 6 and 7 figures all cash in the Denver area. I'm told that the money laundering statutes don't apply to real estate.

With regards to my motorhome I'm selling, I just don't want to get scammed/robbed. I know there's crews of professional thieves that specialize in this, but I'd like to shine a light on their craft and prevent me/everyone else from becoming a victim.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #22

Whoever you decide to sell it to, do not accept a cashiers check. They have become so problematic many attorneys will not accept them for real estate transactions. Cash or wire transfer are safer.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
They are thiefs not flippers. This is a common ruse on Craigslist and other online classifieds.

Chances are best he is not even in the US. These theifs like to throw in an out of town sob story.

If you bite on this you'll be out thousands of dollars. How?

It's like this. He will send someone to the house - an accomplice. He will not have the cash he promised. Instead he'll have a cashiers check for more than the agreed upon price. The accomplice will want to travel with you to your bank so you can deposit the money and give the "extra" money back to them.

The bank will find the cashiers check seems legit and they will complete the deal. Then 4-days later the cashier's check will ultimately bounce. Your bank will claw back the amount of the bogus check including the amount you gave to the guy that picked up the RV.

The RV will be gone. You'll have no money and be out 100% of the extra on the check. The contact info will all be bogus and the guy that made all the initial contacts will be untraceable.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/8...s-online-scams
This is exactly what is going on.

I've been a licensed dealer since 1985.

Have seen every trick in the book, why anyone falls for this is beyond me. Any time there is too much "story" it's a scam.

I only take cash.
(I get a chuckle when legit buyers ask, "How much will you take, cash?" As if there is some new kind of money I'm not aware of.)

Anytime someone presents any type of paper for payment I let them know I will hang on to the vehicle & title until the item has cleared both of our banks.
One of three things happen:
1. They walk
2. They wait
3. They come back with the cash.

I wouldn't worry about counterfeit.
I've had folks try to pass funny money at my auto parts store, body shop & car lot several times over the years. It is easy to spot.
They always mix it in with legit bills which is a dead giveaway. The fakes stand out even more.
If you still have concerns have the title transfer done by your bank. A scammer won't go near a bank.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #24

If you take a cashiers check, contact the bank it was drawn up, ask for the president, verify the funds are available. I did that once and worked ok.