Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 04:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I also agree that gmail and yahoo emails addresses may constitute fakes. Easy to sign up and then remove an account.
I have both a gmail and a yahoo mail address for "junki" mail. Had both of them for decades. I give one of them out when I have to provide an email address to sign up for a website that I suspect may sell my info..... like IRV2.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I keep seeing Facebook Marketplace ads for RV's that are too good to be true. I'm wondering what the scam is, it's not obvious from the ads. Here are some examples (there are more) that I saw today, supposedly near my city of Elk Grove, CA. All such postings are accompanied by a beautiful photo, usually exterior only with maybe what looks like a brochure picture:
Yeah scams, stupid senseless ones at that. Also same thing on CraigsList. A lot of these idiots just do it to try and get somebody to reply so they can mail bomb them. I guess bored knuckleheads with nothing better to do. It's really bad on Craigslist. Some years ago CL started charging a fee to list a vehicle for sale (which pretty much eliminated the automotive scam crap). But the rest of the stuff (ie: atv's, farm & garden, etc.) are worse than ever.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I keep seeing Facebook Marketplace ads for RV's that are too good to be true. I'm wondering what the scam is, it's not obvious from the ads. Here are some examples (there are more) that I saw today, supposedly near my city of Elk Grove, CA. All such postings are accompanied by a beautiful photo, usually exterior only with maybe what looks like a brochure picture:

"2004 Airstream Bambi 16 International CCD $1000

The price is: $1000
I always kept it in garage, no rust, no dents, original paint, no accidents and clean title without any liens or encumbrances. Excellent condition. It is a non-smoker, non-pets in this trailer. It was just serviced 3 days ago, new tires, tags up to date, etc."

"2014 Fleetwood Bounder Class A RV
$20,000
Listed a day ago in Elk Grove, CA
Details
Condition
New
It is equipped with a bulletproof Ford Triton V10
only 20,800 miles on it.
Real price 20.000$
Outside Entertainment /TV
Couch for 6 people
Queen Size Bed 32" TV
ALL 6 Brand New Tires Installed.
Alignment Performed.
Runs and Drives Great ( we had 4000 mile family trip on it )
"

If you're a Facebook subscriber, here are the links:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-74082368f8fc
How about a class b 2 years old $20,000.00 (lol)
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I didn't even know there was such a thing as FB Marketplace! Just looked at it. It's easy to spot the scams!
FB Marketplace was touted as being safer than CL since the people you were dealing with were identified according to FB's procedures. So much for that.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #33

My son said have them send you their PayPal address so you can send money. LOL They disappear quickly....
road glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:49 PM   #34

I'm confused here, I thought everything on the internet was true and accurate.
Is that not the case ?
Old 05-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #35
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
I am reporting them constantly.
One thing to look for is the vehicle will be listed as being in 5 or 6 different states. Or I am selling this for my aunt who's husband died.
It is not just MHs, there are tons of 2011 toyota camrys for $800 cash.
If you try to block the seller you get an OOPS error.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Scam is the minute you inquire about it they will switch you from Marketplace Messenger to an E Mail address that they can't be traced, from there they give you some big Sob story why they are selling so cheap, Mate died, Military transfer or sudden job transfer they didn't see coming, but no sweat for you they have "ebay Motors" handling the transaction for your safety and theirs. You must send the money first to "ebay Motors" they will in turn bring the Coach out to you no matter where you live in the US, feel free to inspect, drive it, our what ever you like. If you like it they will process the all the paperwork and close the deal, if you don't like it they will come back pick it up and return all your money, Said seller will only receive payment once "ebay Motors" is satisfied that you the buyer is totally overjoyed with the deal and everybody can live happy ever after. I have often wondered has anyone really fell for that line of BS and sent cash which you'll never see again and can't trace. I bet they have.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #37

They hack into real facebook accounts and then post all kinds of fake ads until the account gets locked from being reported.
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #38

When craigslist started charging for certain ads,
the scammers packed up and moved to FBM.
Until FBM follows suit, it's gonna
be where the bottom feeders dwell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I am reporting them constantly.
I recommend letting it go.
You're wasting your time.
Every FBM ad has the option to hide it.
Once you hide an ad, you never see it again.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHS View Post
I have both a gmail and a yahoo mail address for "junki" mail. Had both of them for decades. I give one of them out when I have to provide an email address to sign up for a website that I suspect may sell my info..... like IRV2.

I also have a gmail account for the same purpose. Even my ISP wanted a second email address. I check it maybe once every 6 months.

Just remember, Gmail is part of Google. The "G" stands for GATHER, as in all your information.
This is one reason I will never use Chrome as my browser. Another Google product.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
A fool and his money are soon parted.
If he is such a fool, where did he get the money from which he is soon to be parted?
richhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #41

the scam

I always tell them I'll buy it from them if they will deliver it to me, I offer $5,000.00 to deliver it and cash when it arrives.
markusarilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
My guess would be the scam starts when you reply, getting your personal info/wanting money to hold unit etc. " if something seems to good to be true, it usually (always) is" just saying
This is the answer.

A couple of years back there was one of those ads for a near-new truck, supposedly in excellent shape.

The poster wanted money upfront, etc, etc. These are fake ads, and you should report them.
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote