Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Whats the trick with RV ovens?

My new TT has a oven/stove combo. Whenever use the oven I can't seem to get the food to cook evenly...

Baking simple Pillsbury Cinnamon buns the bottoms burn and the top is raw.

Gotta be a trick to this thing. I have tried moving the rack around but it doesn't help. Do they just generally suck for baking??

Thanks
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard many reports of improved performance using a pizza stone or a ceramic tile to even out the heat. Haven't got around to trying it yet.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

The ovens aren't for making souffle's, that's for sure. Get an oven thermometer to see how close the temp is. Try using a pizza stone or something else to even the heat out.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
RV ovens are great for storing pots, pans and other kitchen items.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

I just don't understand what the fuss is about. This is my 4th RV. We seldom eat out. I have always used the oven just as I do at home, and have never had a minute's problem. Some people swear by getting a pizza stone or something similar. I never have. Just get an accurate oven thermometer. If anything..the RV oven will bake quicker than you are used to at home. Keep an eye on it.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

Something we have used in a past life is a vented cookie sheet. I'm sure that's not what it should be called, but it has two layers so that the cooking surface is insulated from the heat coming from the burners in the oven.

I'd show you a picture, but I don't have (or need) one now.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Offcamber"......When you open the oven, you'll have either one or two racks. Below that will be a flat metal surface with the broiler under that. Buy a piece of ceramic tile, about 12" x 12" and lay it on top of that metal plate. The ceramic tile gets hot, retains heat and keeps the oven from cycling so much by making the heat more even. Make sure the tile is a real ceramic tile.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #8

My fix was to get a cookie sheet that fit. Then, I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer to put raised spots about two inches apart. This allows circulation under the pan used for cooking and stops the Bottom from overheating.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

In our previous coach I used a pizza stone to even out the temperature. Put it in the oven and allow it to pre heat with the oven. You'll find your baking is much more even. Then after it cooled down, I wrapped it in a towel and stored it for travel.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #10

I went a bought a cheap ceramic tile from Lowes. Then I experimented with a quality oven thermometer to adjust temps and know when its preheated and adjusted the wire rack to the middle of the oven (it seems to work the best there). After all that it works pretty well.

Thanks
adam
afrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #11

Wife says pizza stone by Pampered Chef
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:14 AM   #12
paz

I agree with what a lot of people are saying. Because RV ovens are smaller than residential ovens, the burner heats the space unevenly and the food is also closer to the burner so it has a tendency to burn on the bottom.

Put a pizza stone or layer of ceramic tiles on the metal shelf that is directly on top of the burner. It will take the oven a little longer to heat up, but the ceramic will distribute the heat more evenly.

Another thing that helps is to use air baking air baking sheets or glass casserole dishes instead of plain metal.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #13

We've been rv'ing since the early '90's (though "not" fulltiming), and use the oven pretty often (we like biscuits for breakfast) and haven't really haven't any problems.

But, the wife does use the thermometer (even at home). So... that would be my first suggestion. If still experiencing issues, try the pizza stone remedy. It may be the answer.

On a side note.... We thought that the dish washer was where the pots/land were stored! memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
RV ovens are great for storing pots, pans and other kitchen items.
That's what we found. Haven't had an oven in a MH since 2000. Never missed it and just used the Advantium when needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote