Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
10 speed in a pickup, maybe but there is no talk of a 10 speed in MHs. They are starting with the 6 speed.

Ever wonder why diesels still run 6 speed automatics ? With torque, you don't need gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
10 speed keeps the engine in the sweet spot of the torque curve!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Yes, except that the sweet spot for torque on most gas engines is around 3000-4000 RPM, whereas in diesels it is around 1500 RPM. Which makes for a much more pleasant drive in the diesel.
My F350 6.7L diesel is a 10 speed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #30

I would have preferred to get a DP, simply because of the greater towing and quieter ride. However, once I started comparing apples to apples, I found that I'd be spending 25% more and not really gaining that much from a towing standpoint. Only when you got into the seriously big rigs with two rear axles did the towing numbers jump and then that 25% number became closer to 50%! Would I still love to have one? Sure. But, we're two retired teachers; not in our budget range!

We ended up with a 37' on the F53 chassis. Pulling a nearly 5k Ford Explorer through the Appalachians from FL to MI was no problem at all. A bit louder than we liked when it dropped into fourth gear, but you just get used to that. I'll probably put some extra soundproofing in this summer, but as far as handling the nearly 29,000 pounds, it was fine.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #31

My previous 2004 MH 37 ft on a ford chassis, ninety percent of the time it did just fine but I was pulling my toad climbing a mountain in first flat out nothing left hoping I would make to top.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My previous 2004 MH 37 ft on a ford chassis, ninety percent of the time it did just fine but I was pulling my toad climbing a mountain in first flat out nothing left hoping I would make to top.

Was that with the 4 or 5 speed transmission?
Old 05-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogboogie View Post
Was that with the 4 or 5 speed transmission?

4 speed back then
Old 05-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #34

2008 37' gas pusher motorhome From what I have read, the main issue was lack of torque compared to the same HP diesel engine. You see the engine specs= HP and torque in that add, for comparison a 350 HP diesel engine has 1,000 lb/ft torque.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #35
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Seen one in a park that had 4 storage bays, behind the rear axle. Had to have been at least 12' of overhang!

I wouldn't want to be behind the wheel of that thing in the wind!
My gasser overhang is in fact 12' on a 242" wheelbase. Crosswinds, strong winds, no problems.

Ray
Old 05-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
There is no limit. Most gasoline powered motor homes tend to be <40' though.

We own and drive all over the country, towing a Honda CRV toad, with our 38' Winnebago Adventurer. Powered by the GMC 8.1l gas engine on the Workhorse chassis. I suppose the biggest limitation between a gas or diesel chassis might be in their overall towing capacity. Ours (and most gas motor homes I believe) is limited to 5,000 lbs. Most diesels (I believe) are 10,000 lbs.

For our purposes driving a gasoline motor home suites our needs just fine. Gasoline is cheap these days - much less than diesel fuel. There seem to be more gas stations around than diesel.

But the biggest factor - by far - is the initial cost of the RV. Gasoline motor homes cost significantly less that a similar diesel. You can buy many good used gas motor homes for <$50k, while many used diesels seem to run at least $100k. There are also maintenance costs - which are higher for diesel units.

As for trim levels - yes many diesels offer a higher level of trim (better wood, glossy finishes, tile floors, etc.) BUT at a much higher price. And there are many very nice gasoline units as well. Our Adventurer was (and still is) considered to be the top of the line gasoline model Winnebago offered. That meant Corian counters, nice wood cabinets, and many amenities which closely match many diesel models.

As for gasoline brands - having visited all at many RV shows and dealers, and talking to many owners - Newmar is the best, followed closely by Winnebago. Some of the new Entegra gas seem very nice and well equipped. But avoid Thor products at all cost - for many reasons. (poor build quality, poor customer support, poor product support).

Not sure this is the type of information you need- but it's my 2 cents.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #37

diesel all the way

If you are going to travel the country, which includes some pretty high mountains, you should go with a turbo diesel. Gas just can't provide the kind of power needed at altitude. My turbo diesel rarely sees a hill that makes it lose speed here in the Rockies. Even a large naturally aspirated gas engine would have a great deal of trouble.
hookjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #38

My uncle always said if you have a gasser you love it and it’s great. If you have a diesel you know better and be quiet and let them be happy. ��
Old 05-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #39

Nothing like the sound of a diesel muttering away in the background.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #40

I have a 38í Newmar Mountain Aire with the 8.1L gas engine and 5 spd Allison that does fine, Iíve been in some areas where I had some steep inclines and never had a problem, I also can but donít cruise at 70+ all day. At 62 mph on the cruise control I get 8-9 mpg unless Iím in hill country. The engine runs at 2300 rpm in OD with the torque converter locked with no problems.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #41

Too big for gas is an opinion!

If the MH was too big for gas it would not be mfg that way. Towing a 5th wheel should be based on weight and max allowed by the tow vehicle. We have 38 ft workhorse, SunVoyager with 3 sldes and a on board Gen. we also tow a 2012 GMC Terrain. We canít do 65 up a steep grade without straining the engine but it can go 50 mph and maintain it. As a 53 year engineer/mechanic my ears and common sense tells me how much to push the RPM gage, I keep it below 4K mostly and cruise at 2.1k. Will a Diesel pull or push more, yes but a Diesel Pusher MH costs more o purchase and the annual up keep, if done correctly and safely will cost double the annual maintenance cost of a Gas MH at minimum.
This year I will spend $3.5k but itís a 2005 model and I expected the cost and much cheaper then purchasing a newer model costing $50 to 90k. At 72 I purchase what I need not what I desire persuaded by dealers.
J79Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #42

Anything. We had a 23ft E-350 based Class C with the 7.1 V-8, and even in relatively flat FL, it was constantly downshifting and screaming to get up even the small rollers on I-10 or I-75. I limited my speed to 65 and still the best mpg I ever got was 8.1. Our 38ft Class A with a relatively small 275hp 5.9l ISB is a dream in comparison. Best run was 12mpg and don't forget downhills with an exhaust brake.
Pandion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas