Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #43

Agree with Our05Winneba

Our05Winneba captured my thoughts very well. For me, the initial price was the biggest factor. We wanted to get the best rig that suited our needs and was within budget. We accomplished that very well with the 2017 Jayco Precept at 32 feet (pre-Thor era) and towing a Ford Focus. We've had no problems at all with the power or reliability of the engine/chassis. Have to take some hills at 45 mph, but those are rare. An extra 15-20 minutes travel time every couple of thousand miles or so is not a big deal. My only complaint is the long overhang. I have to be careful going into some driveways or the hitch for the towbar can drag a bit.
tjmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #44

In the old days the only engine for even large trucks was gas but darn they had more cubic inches and had the torque at lower rpm than todays gas motors. As time progressed things changed and diesels took over as well as the type of transmissions. In some of todays over the road trucks you don't find a 14 speed manual but an automatic.... go figure !!!! I'm not sure if it's taste but you can find large boats with diesels and also a 40 foot center consul with 4 gas outboards.... maybe it's the need for speed.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #45

RV too big for gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen View Post
Can some of you tell me your opinions on what point is the RV too big for a gas engine? Thanks.
GOOD QUESTION! I'm sure you are going to be blasted with a LOT of opinions on
this one, so good luck! My only concern is if your wallet is
going to be BIG enuf to support a guzzling gas engine
pulling or pushing(?) that kind of weight around? Hate them
or love them, torquey Diesels are the engine of preference!
Ask any semi-trucker out there! Sorry...?
Pixelbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum View Post
GOOD QUESTION! I'm sure you are going to be blasted with a LOT of opinions on
this one, so good luck! My only concern is if your wallet is
going to be BIG enuf to support a guzzling gas engine
pulling or pushing(?) that kind of weight around? Hate them
or love them, torquey Diesels are the engine of preference!
Ask any semi-trucker out there! Sorry...?
I get around 7 MPG with my gas pusher and the money I saved upfront over a diesel has purchased a lot of gas. My oil & filter change cost me about $45, what does yours cost you?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Exclamation

Stick to the subject folks. This is NOT a diesel vs gas thread. Take that discussion to a new thread if you want to debate that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
2008 37' gas pusher motorhome From what I have read, the main issue was lack of torque compared to the same HP diesel engine. You see the engine specs= HP and torque in that add, for comparison a 350 HP diesel engine has 1,000 lb/ft torque.
I have exact same coach :-)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #49

Gas

Nothing but my personal opinion.... no math involved. Ours is 31' 11" with the 3 valve V-10. I wouldn't buy anything over 34' with the gas engine and the GVW of the chassis. Only my personal opinion. We are pretty happy with our 3124 Bay Star and even towed the Jeep Wrangler up the Cajon Pass. Got over the pass at about 42 MPH at about 3500+ rpms. Going down the other way took some practice with the brakes, taking it off of TOW/HAUL so the rpms didn't run up over 4500.... A good trip. Seriously, if I were thinking of something longer and heavier I would have to accept that a diesel pusher would be safer, no cheaper, but safer. On a final note, this is our final Class A. Done spending more money.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
34’8.1 workhorse

My 34-35 workhorse w22 5speed is a pleasure to drive and I tow a Honda Element. Oregon to Tucson trips no problems. Usually we go 150 - 350 mile trips. Use your gears ! Drive safe !
Ukulele doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #51

IMHO it depends on preference and how many miles you'll travel.

I just bought a new 2020 RAM 3500 diesel which will pull my next trailer just fine.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
My 270hp F53 V10 with 4 speed works just fine on my 35 ft Southwind, 22k lbs gross when loaded.

I can't run up I-70 to the Eisenhower tunnel at the posted speed limit, but I get up there.
I have seen very few moving vehicles that can run up I-70 to the Eisenhower tunnel at the posted speed limit unless it was or is a motorcycle.
Lyndajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndajo View Post
I have seen very few moving vehicles that can run up I-70 to the Eisenhower tunnel at the posted speed limit unless it was or is a motorcycle.
Passed through this route last winter , I have. A v8 engine with 275 hp gasser, and I can tell you that not a truck or car passed me on the way up , but on the way down they other side de Diesel engine would have been great to slow me down, that being said my rig is 39 foot with a tag axle , and apart from the breaking power of a Diesel engine I find that the motor is good enough for my needs

That being said my main input would be that the important thing to remember is the different type of équipement ,
tag axle for extra weight capacity
Pneumatic suspension for added comfort
Pneumatic brake for added force of brake

To me if you have the right equipment to you size any size fits your needs
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:15 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
38' Gasser does well

Have a 38' Southwind with a great Chevy V8. Pulls a Chevy Colorado and certainly costs me less than a DP to run and maintain. If I ever desire to move up in length, I'd consider a DP, but most likely won't move up. Just 2 of us using our MH.

I test drove a 40' DP and the difference in driveability was just not worth the extra short and long term cost. IMHO.
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #55

Finally someone understands the diesels torque advantage is the turbocharger.........NOTHING ELSE!!! lol.

Besides Ford turbocharging a V6 truck engine, no one else is doing anything like that .....yet. A turbocharged gasoline big block would pull with the diesels and outrun the diesel in a horsepower race.

In the mid 80's, I turbocharged a Chevy 454 in a one ton, geared for low RPM's on the highway and got 50% better fuel mileage than the naturally aspirated 454/one tons and left them on the hills.....with the same loads.

Today's fuel/ignition technology with a turbo on a gasoline big block would be a better way to go as far as I'm concerned!
turbobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #56

Back in the day, turbochargers weren't always used on diesels. Lots of NA ( naturally aspirated ) diesel engines.

Most RV diesel generators are NA.

Its the cubic inch that makes torque. We had a bunch of NA 855 cubic inch Cummins that pulled 10 wheel garbage trucks everyday.

If you want long life, there is no replacement for displacement.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas