Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What's too big for gas.

Can some of you tell me your opinions on what point is the RV too big for a gas engine? Thanks.
kongmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #2

Works fine on my 38 foot, 22,000 pound MH, and that is with the five speed transmission. Should be even better with the six speed.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
There is a reason most people hauling large fifth wheels go with diesels. Coming solely from a trailering perspective, I'd say when your (combined) weight goes above 26K it's a lot more enjoyable to drive a diesel. A gas engine will work well beyond that, but will be working harder, louder, and will have significantly less braking assistance than a diesel with a good exhaust brake. I'm sure the same applies to a class A.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Those with long gassers will say they work fine and those with short gassers will tell you theirs are more powerful.

The reality, the statement above about diesels is the most accurate answer. Remember, before diesels were put in large over the road trucks, they ran gasoline engines, until the diesels took over the market.

It will be really hard to determine a specific point where you should no longer be running gas. There are many factors.....overhang on a long gasser, extra weight of a long gasser, lower gearing, which means lower mpg's, etc.

JMHO.....I would stay at 32' to 34' in a gasser, especially if you want to tow something like a toad or boat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #5

40ft 262in wheelbase 6speed trans v10 24,000GVWR loaded for fulltime tow Rogue Sport on dolly. No problems.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

With the new 7.3 Ford gas V8 and ten speed trans, it should do real good. Has a fairly flat, high torque curve. With the ten speed keeping it in that curve, it should be a beast. That's what an oil burner has going for it, torque! I like the V10, but I think this new V8 will be better!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Seen one in a park that had 4 storage bays, behind the rear axle. Had to have been at least 12' of overhang!

I wouldn't want to be behind the wheel of that thing in the wind!
Old 05-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

I'd say really the question is what is too heavy for a gas engine. Simply because for some reason they don't put turbos on bigger gas engines. Yet. But there's just way too many variables for me.

Best bet may be to shop for your best guess and then ask here if anyone is using one of those how you want to use it and their opinion of how it performs. There's like at least one of everything on this board and a number of people who have owned different coaches.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
With the new 7.3 Ford gas V8 and ten speed trans, it should do real good. Has a fairly flat, high torque curve. With the ten speed keeping it in that curve, it should be a beast. That's what an oil burner has going for it, torque! I like the V10, but I think this new V8 will be better!
10 speed in a pickup, maybe but there is no talk of a 10 speed in MHs. They are starting with the 6 speed.

Ever wonder why diesels still run 6 speed automatics ? With torque, you don't need gears.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #10

10 speed keeps the engine in the sweet spot of the torque curve!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #11

26k is largest f53 option.

Since ford F53 is really the only gas motorhome being made you are restricted to 26k pounds for the motorhome and 30k lbs for the total of your motorhome plus towed.

As s far as length goes it depends. Heavier materials tend to be nicer , more slide outs add weight. Some manufacturers top out at 36 ft while others go a bit longer.

As far as handling lots of variables like how long is the wheel base , what kind of anti sway and suspension options.

Gas motorhomes are less expensive initially and cheaper to maintain than deasel. A deisel will ride better and you can go bigger and or heavier.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 270hp F53 V10 with 4 speed works just fine on my 35 ft Southwind, 22k lbs gross when loaded.

I can't run up I-70 to the Eisenhower tunnel at the posted speed limit, but I get up there.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #13

think dssl nailed it--IMHO.....the design of a gasser puts the engine and tranny upfront on a lower capacity axle....so with longer /heavier gassers, you end up with more rear overhang to spread the weight to the rear....gassers and DPs are becoming comparable but with the weight limits and rear distribution, the gasser builder has to limit the number of slides, solid wood vs composites cabinetry , carpet/vinyl vs floor/shower tile, glass doors vs plastic, etc. and finally--rear engine vs front dog-house noise levels.... Not making any judgements on what is better--just saying there is a difference in trim and accessories and price points.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our previous class A motorhome was 38' on a Ford F53/v10 chassis. Pulled our 5000' jeep all over the western USA for several years. Got the job done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas