Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
What's your best stereo sound system advice?

We currently have a Connexx Stereo connected to Connexx 32" flatscreen. The unit is 3 zones and I port the sound via HDMI (ARC). This feeds to two 5" ceiling mounted speakers that are directly over us. Basic manufacture installation - nothing special there.

The Problem:
At full volume, the speakers sound right for normal listening. With the AC running, you absolutely cannot hear anything even if the air is blowing through the ductwork instead of out the unit itself.

Inspecting the installation, I see that they installed Zone A to the outside speakers and Zone B to the two inside speakers. Zone C is not used. I'm wondering if Zone A might have the more powerful 5.1 sound? Dunno.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of pulling the stereo, I'm wondering maybe if it'd be worthwhile moving to a more powerful sound option. Anyone have any observations or advice? What do you have that pleases the heck out of your movie-watching experience?
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never seen a factory installed unit that performed very well. I would go to a car stereo specialty store. They do custom installs of audio/video systems all the time and will know what you need.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
My sound system works very good because I do not use it.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #4

well i and son Ty installed equipment.. back then there was a few copper bus boards in the players and that was an edge.. heck his jeep was so good had everybody holding the windows and panels from blowing. and the judges wondering where the speakers were. any way Alfa golds '07 and up have very good systems with amps and subwoofer n outside speakers. all controlled to liking . if in bedroom adjust volume to liking and same with outside and up front

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I have never seen a factory installed unit that performed very well. I would go to a car stereo specialty store. They do custom installs of audio/video systems all the time and will know what you need.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #5

dpuble
Old 09-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Problem is your only getting 2.0 or 2.1 if you have a sub. I just installed a Pioneer to replace a Jensen but it’s still only two channel on my six speakers, two on the front balance and four on the rear.
I’m a movie buff and like watching movies on my solo fishing trips so I’ve just installed a Bose 30” soundbar above the tv, with their bass module and wireless rear speakers. Connected to the HDMI arc it will give me 5.1.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7366.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	301990
Old 09-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Problem is your only getting 2.0 or 2.1 if you have a sub. I just installed a Pioneer to replace a Jensen but it’s still only two channel on my six speakers, two on the front balance and four on the rear.
I’m a movie buff and like watching movies on my solo fishing trips so I’ve just installed a Bose 30” soundbar above the tv, with their bass module and wireless rear speakers. Connected to the HDMI arc it will give me 5.1.Attachment 301990
Mines a Class C with that conventionally mounted TV swing arm over the cab/bed area. I thought about doing a sound bar but not sure where to mount it and though i didnt mention it specifically, Id like the solution to be DC powered. Nice though!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Replace the stereo with any decent quality automotive stereo, but you might have a hard time finding one with speaker "zone" selection built in. They do make speaker switches that could be added. Most RV "stereos" are low power and IMO low quality. If you really want to crank it (please don't in any campground, especially outdoors), consider adding an amp in addition to the new head unit.

Replace the speakers with decent quality speakers that will fit the available space and/or consider adding additional speakers in a better location.

Run the A/C on low fan whenever feasible. This is the best thing you can do to improve sound quality. Nothing is going to sound great with the A/C running...
Old 09-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
Replace the stereo with any decent quality automotive stereo, but you might have a hard time finding one with speaker "zone" selection... Replace the speakers with decent quality speakers that will fit the available space and/or consider adding additional speakers in a better location.
Looking at some and wish i could find built-in Blu-Ray too. Call me old.. go ahead.

Speaking of adding speakers, dont any of these RV units support a wireless blue tooth speaker? If needed, thatd solve much of the hearing issues.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I don't know of any that support bluetooth speakers. Some claim to support bluetooth inputs, but even that is hit or miss as to weather it works.

You could bypass the stereo all together and disconnect it from your TV and plug in a bluetooth adapter that would allow you to pair your choice of bluetooth speakers.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
You could bypass the stereo all together and disconnect it from your TV and plug in a bluetooth adapter that would allow you to pair your choice of bluetooth speakers.
And there it is!

I havent been keeping up to date with tech, obviously. You just nailed the solution. Thank you. I see I’ll need a BT transmitter that supports the AptX LL codec to avoid lip sync latency. The Avantree Audikast Plus looks like it will do the trick.

Thank you!!!!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bluetooth worked for me too. The only problem, when the BT speakers are on, the tv speakers turn off on mine. Portable BT has batteries inside, ones that don't say portable, have a power cord that requires 120v
Old 09-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Mines a Class C with that conventionally mounted TV swing arm over the cab/bed area. I thought about doing a sound bar but not sure where to mount it and though i didnt mention it specifically, Id like the solution to be DC powered. Nice though!

Fishing off grid a lot I have everything except my Kuerig converted to DC lol. The speakers run from a small inverter, their adapters don’t require many watts. The soundbar is Bluetooth as well as HDMI but like the others the tv does not have Bluetooth.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Thinking it through a little more, if the A/C is on then that means I'm hooked to shore power or using the gen. So, configuring a conventional sound bar plugged in to an outlet makes sense along with setting up the BT portable speaker compatible with the Low Latency driver.

I'm thinking a little more clearly with the help of Folger's and your help! This is a relief. And it all started with unplugging the HDMI ARC and ignoring the on-board stereo unit. You guys are all awesome!

Tags
advice