Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What's your motivation!

Another thread prompted me to ponder mine and other people's motivation when that purchased their RV. I'm sure for most, it is to fulfill a dream or create a situation, like you always wanted to; live the life, spend time with family, get away from it all etc.

But what about what type and why. Was it your lifestyle, economy, brand, options, luxury and/or what? What motivates people to make the choice they make, a marketing researcher's answer made in heaven and worth it's weight in Gold!

So what was your motivation?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

All about money for us, bought the nicest rig we could afford.
If we could afford a new one we`d buy a new one, as far as brand we don`t know enough about the different brands to comment.
We`ve always been the wondering types so what ever works is our motto.
Oldvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Didn't know squat about RV's or RV'ing when we got ours. Actually wanted a Class "B", but in hindsight we realize it would have been too small. Biggest requirement was it had to have a bathroom after that anything else was a plus.
DW has multiple sclerosis which affects bowel and bladder so we stayed at home as the problem got worse. One day it dawned on me (7 years later) that a small motor home would allow us to travel so the search was on for a van that we could afford. There were many disappointments as deals fell through (thankfully). One day while searching the net DW came across rentals for sale and listed was the Vanguard. To her way of thinking the dual wheels would add to stability however I didn't want to have to jockey anything like that around the roads. I guess I couldn't take the disappointment on her face so I agreed to check it out, one was available in Toronto so I bought it. Actually I think I'd like a little bigger, but overall I'm satisfied with what I have.

Cheers
WilleyB
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
HHHMM we've both been outdoors types from birth ..

We both love camping , and have had everything from tents to big fivers and a couple popups behind the Harley ..

I always wanted someday to have a coach , for whatever reason DW never did .. I think she felt they were outta our league pricewise , as we have always been leeery of buying used , which is the only way we could ever afford a coach ..

She isnt what one would call a "good traveler" , too restless , has to be moving around all the time .. After years of rodeoing , she has bad knees , and I knew any trip beyond an hour from home would be miserable for her , and me , listening to her grumble about it ..

I wanted nothing smaller than a Class A around 32 feet We were blessed with a financial position , that allowed us to find the right used coach , 33 feet , at the right price in pretty good condition , with low miles , and that she liked as well , and were able to pay cash for ..

I did not want to make payments on a toy , that was my motivation ..

We like to travel , and now she can travel in comfort and not be stove up all the time ..

Should have gone with the Class A years ago ..
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Good question....I looked for about 20 years before I finally bought something...I guess you could never accuse me of "rushing in"..

I started looking at TT, and thought that I had found what I was looking for, but then we looked at a 5er and realized that maybe we should be looking at them...We met some people that had been camping for years and they started "teaching" us the ropes. Then we decided that maybe a class C would be best...Well one thing led to another and we wound up buying a class A. A 2007 Monaco Dynasty was our first coach, and then 9 months later followed that up with our present coach, a 2008 Monaco Signature.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
When we retired we moved to New Mexico from California. Suddenly a lot of things became affordable. Our first coach was a "C" class and we found we just didn't have enough room. There was no living room. A causual visit to our RV dealer had us in a 36 ft. National Tradewinds. At the time we didn't want payments so we bought it used. It's become a hobby, with the improvements and repairs. In hind sight it was a good decision. We have been looking at new coaches and although they look real good especially the Monaco brand, the general outlook is so grim that a really big debt right now just doesn't make sense. So were glad we went to a Class "A" were also glad we bought used. We were real lucky. We didn't really know enough to buy when we did but it's in good shape and it fits our needs size wise. We do a lot of short trips and have no plans to full time.

Dick
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

My parents always had a truck camper and a boat. Just about every summer weekend we were in both. So when my wife and I got married we bought a used boat(her family had a boat). After two summers, and numerous fights on the water(my fault thinking she should know what to do when she didn't). We bought a truck camper. We got along very well while camping, but she disliked climbing up the many stairs into the TC while carrying our new born son. So we bought a small TT. As life goes, newborns grow, but our TT did not. So we bought our current 5th wheel. We've had it for 5 years, and are starting to look at TT's again, so we can tow the TT and haul ATV's in the truck.(Newborn is now 12 and like to ride).

So I guess keeping momma happy, changing lifestyles, and keeping my family together, are the reasons for the different types of RV's I've owned.
RussRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We got a pop up in 1984 since that is what we could afford. Since we have changed to different ones and had a big 5er for a spell as we did live in on two occasions. We don't need such a huge one now, so we went vintage and been fixing it up.

But in all cases, the RV is a get away from the daily rat race. Even if we just go 45 minutes from home....we are not at home and leave those worries behind for a few days.

I do want to eventually sell the house and ger another 5er and live in it...if I ever get to retire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #9

My parents as well as Rita's folks always talked about"going out west" when they retired. My folks and Rita's did not make that dream trip due mostly to health issues that prevented them. Two years ago we made the "trip" of their dreams in their stead.
As others have said here we worked our way up with RVs starting with a low end fifth wheel and finally, finally getting our current class A. Now the freedom of the road beckons ever more often and Lord willing we will be able to answer the call for several more years.

Best....Jack&Rita
Jack&Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
For my 700th post, I will answer my own question!

We have had a Tent, Tent Camper, Travel Trailer, all for recreation. When we retired the first time, we rented a Class "C" and discovered it was too small for us to full time in. We studied and custom ordered a Newmar Mountainaire. During the 4 years we did full time we learned several things:

The walls closed in on rainy days
There is never enough storage
There is always something to fix
The longer the wheelbase the tighter the spots
The first year is spent fixing what was wrong or went wrong the day after you got it
The joy was always more in the journey than the destination
You get used to less room
You get used to less stuff
Waxing sucks
All men are created equal

After what we learned, we felt we were better equipped to make an appropriate decision this time around.

Used, the first year is spent repairing anyway, get one with the work done.
Used, let the other person take the depreciation hit
Class "A" again for the storage and space
Four slides and a shorter Coach, lots of room and easier to maneuver
Mid level model, the higher levels cost more and there is more to go wrong
Add the options that make the drive easier for the journey
Full paint because waxing sucks
If you drive the luxury level some think your snooty and you miss meeting a lot of good people if they think your snooty (not implying anyone is, just they might think you are)

We bought a 2005 Safari Cheetah 38 PDQ with 5300 miles, lower level model (LESS COMPLICATED), 4 slides, shorter wheelbase, full paint job (cause waxing sucks), heck of a deal (WHEN WERE DONE, CAN THROW IT AWAY) and we enjoy it as much or more than our Mountainaire!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #11

jim, somehow your posts usually make a lot of sense! this one one i would agree with totally jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #12

Back in the early 70's, we bought a used truck camper. We used it every weekend and also made lots of long trips with it. We completely wore it out, rebuilt it, and wore it out again.

In the mid eighties, we bought a larger used truck camper and again put some serious miles on it.

When I retired from the Air Force in 1989, we bought a new fifth wheel and went full time. We lived in it for about 12 years. The desire for a permanent wood working shop led us to sell the TT and buy a house.

But we also went back to a truck camper. We went through two more of them. When the wife's arthritis finally got so bad she could no longer climb up and down, we sold the last camper.

But we were lost without some kind of camper. And living on the Gulf coast requires some way to run from hurricanes. So we bought a new 18 foot travel trailer. It was low enough to the ground that the wife could get in and out easily, but after a couple of years, we were starting to feel a little cramped. We recently traded up to a 22' travel trailer.

This will probably (hopefully) be our last RV. We try to camp somewhere at least one week of every month and plan on doing so until they pull our driver's license.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
....what about what type and why. Was it your lifestyle, economy, brand, options, luxury and/or what? What motivates people to make the choice they make, a marketing researcher's answer made in heaven and worth it's weight in Gold!

So what was your motivation?
We looked at all kinds of rigs for several years before settling on fifth wheels. Reasons? Inlaws had a MH and it seemed like something was always broken. I liked the relative simplicity of a towable but didn't like TTs. The floorplans of fivers seemed more suitable for our lifestyle.

We had a good time with our first little fifth wheel. As time went on, I had a certain amount of envy of those with MHs running their generators during lunch at rest areas. And we wanted a little more room. Still didn't want a MH, so got a new bigger fiver with a built-in generator.

We had a good time with that second rig. As time went on and I got older, I had a certain amount of envy of those with MHs and their hydraulic leveling systems. Still didn't want a MH, so we got another fiver with a generator and an automatic leveling system.

For the time being, we seem to be where we want to be in RVing. Next year? Who knows.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #14

To see this beautiful country while we still are able to do so.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote