Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

What's your opinion on undercoating?

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 which I bought new about 3 years ago. I live in Northern Virginia but will be moving to Syracuse (no need to remind me I'm going in the wrong direction⛄️) in about 6 weeks. My stepson thinks I should get the truck undercoated before I face their winters. If the truck was new I would think that is smart but my concern is undercoating may seal any rust that is starting to form and I won't know I have a problem before it's a big problem. I'm looking for any insight you may have. Thanks.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
As my entire adult driving life, up to retirement, was spent in Wisconsin I'm familiar with the damage salt can cause and up until about 15 years ago I wouldn't let a new vehicle off the lot until it had been rustproofed (rust proofing and undercoating are two different products. One does as the name suggests, the other just offers some sound deadening). Manufacturers finally decided that corrosion protection had to be made a priority and I haven't spent a dime on it since I purchased the '96 Dodge Ram.

Save your money. Just run it through a full service wash once in a while, one that does a full chassis rinse. Should you decide to go ahead and have it done anyway, be sure they pressure wash the under side before they apply anything (and even then I'd be concerned it wouldn't stick, long term) as three years exposure to road grime will keep most products from properly adhering (they will charge more for doing this and it may affect the warranty - shorten it).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

Ohhhh...get the Tru-Coat...it's the best!
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 07-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Ohhhh...get the Tru-Coat...it's the best!
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

That is classic.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just like Jay posted, living here in the northeast we have battled rust all our lives.......
I just up graded both our autos , and studied up on this subject and found this product
FLUID FILMĀ® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor
The rear axle on our F-150 was all rusted when we bought it, after sprayed with fluid film, all the rust stopped and gone. Time will tell..........
Old 07-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #6

Fluid Film is a big help, however you need to know that it is a real mess when you need to do work where it has been sprayed. Also, you need to wash the underside and reapply about every year. I use it.

Just so you know, things have gone from bad to worse with highway chemicals. Now the idiots are spraying pre-treatment one the roads that will get in every nook and cranny and is impossible to remove. This spray is destroying brakes and brake lines all in the name of safety.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Now the idiots are spraying pre-treatment one the roads that will get in every nook and cranny and is impossible to remove. This spray is destroying brakes and brake lines all in the name of safety.
Yep, they spray the stuff here 12 hours before a hint of a storm. I have a 1 ton truck and a curvy 28 degree driveway. Thanks to the crap they spray my brakes went out(of course on the down hill side) and I had a 8,000lb luge run to the bottom. After my heart slowed down to 100 beats a min, I found that two of my front brake lines were completely rusted in two at the plastic clips that hold them onto the frame. My truck is a 2003 and I am changing all my brake lines out for new ones next week to the tune of over $500.