Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When all else fails....

....read or follow the instructions.
For me one the worst time when we were attending our son’s wedding in the far northern corner of Michigan at Eagle Harbor. We had bought the unit, a used class C and it was our first unit with a slide out. During the walk through everything worked including the slide. I operated it twice at the house while loading for the trip. No problems. Did not use the slide on the road as we were driving from can 'til can’t to get there on time and to get DW back to work on time. All went well , including the rolling out the slide, until the morning we were closing down to make the return trip. Slide would not retract. Checked the breakers, the wiring and after a half hour in absolute frustration and anger , I grabbed the crank and manually retracted it while I uttered a few things I should not have. To make it worse, it lacked about a half inch fully retracting. Rolled it out partially a couple of time and finally gave up and hit the road, was beat to death and worried all day about the slide as it stuck out about a half inch from being fully seated. Due to exhaustion and worry, we decided to stay in an RV park for the night, with slide in have a couple of beers and relax. After doing hook up, I forget what I was doing, but I bumped up against the slide switch. I heard urrrnmpt, and a thud as the slide finished retracting and seated. Lights in foggy brain clicked on with a blinding flash. The walk through techs words hit me up-side the head. There is an ignition lock out on the slide. I’d started the engine that morning to warm it up after the several day stay and had not shut it down prior to trying to retract the slide. Oh well, said the man with the shovel in his hand at the bottom of a hole, deep subject.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Been there did that, I was lucky enough to realize that I had the switch in the wrong position
Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hopefully that is far enough in the past that you can laugh at it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

Our 2010 Grand Junction 5er has "docking lights" on the nose that are on a nifty remote which also can control the slides and jacks. Second trip we took, the docking lights got stuck "on". Nothing short of disconnecting the battery would turn them off. Kept happening "randomly". 3rd trip back to the dealer, one of the tech's asked if we had turned them on with the remote, since that locked out the hardwired switches. Turns out when you use the remote, it (sensibly) locks out all the other switches. Just no one told us!! I've since answered this question at least twice on other forums from other owners. I was turning them on (during the daylight) fumbling with the different buttons on the remote.
jawildman is offline   Reply With Quote