Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
"When does your motorhome become a bus?"

When you load your family or friends and hit the road!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
[QUOTE=FusionKing;5573293]"When does your motorhome become a bus?"

Unlike others, our coach was born a bus and converted by Liberty.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definition of a bus from the dictionary:

"noun
a large motor vehicle carrying passengers by road, typically one serving the public on a fixed route and for a fare.
"

So a motorhome becomes a bus when you strip out the interior and add seats and carry passengers.

If you haven't done that it is a motorhome. Some people call their LARGE motorhome a coach. This is a misnomer according to the dictionary. They are just saying that...it is a motorhome. See this definition:

"noun
noun: motorhome
a motor vehicle equipped like a trailer for living in, with kitchen facilities, beds, etc."

Just sayin'! You can call your RV vehicle anything you want!

Old 12-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #46

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Ours was never a seated coach but we do have the seated creature comfort with Over The Road air conditioning and heat
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
These rigs seem to have a personality at times. And some people name their rigs.

Have any who name their rigs asked the rig what they wanted to be called?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #48

My first bus was a 1973 Volkswagen bus (blue with a white top) that I bought used in 1978 and kept for about a year...... it was a rare automatic.

Moving forward 40+ years..... now have my second bus (in sig). Both have engines in the rear.

Right on the side of the Liberty is says (Private Coach)....

So, I refer to it as a "Coach".

When I pull into an RV park, I'll tell the clerk "I'm here with my little camper".

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Ours was never a seated coach but we do have the seated creature comfort with Over The Road air conditioning and heat
We're there with you on this one...the OTR heat and a/c are great and we still enjoy the great ride inherent in a coach. Nothing better for keeping a coach comfortable in the summer while going down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Definition of a bus from the dictionary:

"noun
a large motor vehicle carrying passengers by road, typically one serving the public on a fixed route and for a fare.
"

So a motorhome becomes a bus when you strip out the interior and add seats and carry passengers.

If you haven't done that it is a motorhome. Some people call their LARGE motorhome a coach. This is a misnomer according to the dictionary. They are just saying that...it is a motorhome. See this definition:

"noun
noun: motorhome
a motor vehicle equipped like a trailer for living in, with kitchen facilities, beds, etc."

Just sayin'! You can call your RV vehicle anything you want!

Your logic doesn't hold, especially since you start with a definition of 'bus' and then go on to talk about coaches and motor homes. Not all buses are coaches, and not all coaches are buses, and not all companies in the industry use the same terminology for this.

A vehicle can be two things at the same time - being a coach and being a motor home are not mutually exclusive.

"Coach" is a really generic term originating from the French word for wagon.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #50
PKI

BUS, note VW bus .... driven from in front of steer wheels and rear engine.
BUS, Wife's uncles called all motorhomes they flipped a BUS.
BUS, the Tiffin Allegro Bus is called a BUS.

Our motorhome is a DP with the driver's position in front of the steer axle. We call it a BUS. It's just how we came to think of the vehicle. Also, BUS is the shortest word and easiest reference to say. We checked with Tiffin BUS owners to make sure they were not insulted and found many people refer to their RV as a BUS, so all good for us to use the term.

So the answer is, whenever you want to call the vehicle a BUS.

FYI - for classification purposes, our RV is a House Car. But then, so is the Tiffin BUS.

To be clear - we slow for railroad tracks, but only stop if they are in absolutely terrible condition for transit. We do not stop at weigh stations. We do not pick up strangers at street corners. We do enjoy our BUS.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #51

Funny side note...

The destination board in our coach was not removed when Custom Coach did the conversion in 1974. I had a new curtain made for it (that's what they call the roller blind looking thing) a few years ago with various cute sayings and destinations in it.

The 'destination' we like the best and the one that shows out the front 99% of the time is ANYWHERE.

Our coach still looks very much like a passenger bus on the outside, and one time we were parked somewhere for a rest stop. A kid walked past with his parent thought we were a passenger bus, and he asked us if he could really go anywhere on our bus. It seemed he was being serious. Maybe he thought it was like the Knight Bus?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:01 PM   #52

We own a 28’ Phoenix Cruiser. The registration says it’s a class C, but it’s not. PC says it’s a B+, but it’s not. It’s not a little class A because it doesn’t have a flat front. It’s - well, I don’t know what it is. But I love it!
Pacuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bus, Rig, Coach, RV, Entegra, Cornerstone, or Motorhome etc.....
Depending on my mood, day of the week, or who I am talking to etc...
No wrong answers.

When I am washing and waxing I call it the beast.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:18 PM   #54

when is it a BUS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I see folks refer to their motorhome as a bus then look at their profile and see the own a 26' class C. I usually think of a "bus" as some kind of Prevost conversion. Is there some kind of accepted definition of the "bus" designation?
It's a bus when manufactured as such example MCI9 is a 40' bus /Prevost is a bus, motor homes are just that, a motorhome, no matter how long.If you want to buy a "BUS" do so, if you want a motor home, then go for it!Bus people refer to motor homes a balslawood. Bus people are a great group of dedicated "BUS" people, more people refer to us as bus nuts, I favor GREYHOUND buses as I was a driver, and love the MCI9 Series the best as I drove them when they were new, mine is a 1987 model, they all look the same, the MCI12 is same also, they were the real work horses ( dogs in this case) for GREYHOUND, I guess you can tell I love mine! THANK YOU FOR READING
william1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #55

Dreaming of being a BUS

I don't normally chime in on things as everyone has an opinion and normally there as more then one right one and people get upset...

That said, I have had 6 DP and only one BUS.
I always dreamed my 43' Monaco was a BUS and loved it when others referred to it as one but I knew what I had and it was no Bus! Guess the dictionary simply says a large Motor vehicle deigned to carry passengers a long way.
In "my mind" anyway to truly be considered a Bus you must be a BUS! Yes, Prevost is an over the road Bus manufacture as is Blue Bird, MCI and a few others not as popular in the RV industry but those carry the title alone.
Tg9656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon View Post
We recently sold our cl c MH and replaced it with a travel trailer. The wife refers to the TT as the "MH", which btw I don't have a problem with what she calls it as long as she doesn't call me late for dinner.
Funny. We sold our 5th wheel and bought a pusher. I still call the pusher a trailer...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome