Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #1

Where are all the older RVs?

We are kind of new to the RV world, we own a horse trailer with a living quarters, have owned a few before our current one. We’ve really enjoyed our trailer so we decided we would buy an true RV in addition to the horse trailer. We bought a 2008 FR Wildcat 32qbbs. We just purchased it a few days ago and haven’t even picked it up yet.

Now that we own an RV we are paying more attention to RVs we see. In fact we’ve driven through several camping areas just to look around. Seems like 95% of what we see are new shiny trailers. The one we purchased needs some TLC, some of the stickers are fading and peeling but part of the fun for us will be cleaning it up.

With all that said back to my original question, where are all of the 10 to 20 year old trailers? Are they disposable and gone to the junkyard? Are they parked and used as permanent cabins?
1218RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #2

I'm in mine here in northern Nevada for now....Nu Finish, a polymer, makes old things look new.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

Ours is sitting out in the driveway waiting for it's next trip in 2 weeks. That'll be 5 for this season even considering the current situation!
Old 09-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Taking my old gal out this coming Monday!
Old 09-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #5

Mine was here yesterday. Gilmore Summit,Idaho. headed to West Yellowstone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	300489
Old 09-10-2020, 02:07 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Mine is sitting at my sisters farm in Iowa while I am in Alaska. I can’t wait til I can get back to it.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:44 AM   #7

Plenty of old one's in storage yards and I see a lot being towed on the freeways.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #8
IC2

Just looking at our 'home' CG, and out of about 40 of us seasonals, think our '14 is close to the newest and that newer one is a '15 or '16. The rest are older and are more or less permanent. We generally travel a few eeks a year and there are many RVs that are 2010 and older in every CG. Shiny wont determine thir age as I (and many others) am constantly working, trying to keep ours nice both in and out.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #9

I think that you are equating what the one that you bought looks like with all RVs of similar age. But most likely yours looks that way because it was sitting, unused and uncared for. Those in active use are kept washed, waxed, and generally looking good because they are in use. We have owned 5 different RVs that were kept for 9 years or more and 2 of those were used when we bought them. Our preveious RV was bought new but we kept it for 14 years and while you could find some wear signs by examining it, never was it allowed to look as you describe.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
So many rigs out there these days are being used by neophyte rvers.

They don't seem to care about the looks, and therefore the exterior looses that nice shine.

Our MH is a 2008, and we are the 2nd owners. The previous owner took great pride in keeping it looking good, and I try to keep it clean and polished as well.

I have had people ask if it's new several times.

As far as all the old rigs, they are out there, just slowly sinking into the dirt.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our MH is stored lovingly in out shed. Due to Covid it hasn't been on the road since we got home in March but planning a short trip this fall.
It's old but mechanically in great shape. The interior has been redone with wood floor and a recliner. Love it.
I would hate to have a huge payment book on something sitting out there.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #12

Define old..... seriously

My 2012 RS Adventurous is effectively 9 years old....the base vehicle is a 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter....

And, while it's not really as old as a coach from the early 2000s.... it's still 9 years...... conversion was in July 2011.....

So, what do you really mean by "old"????
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #13

Heading out again Monday. We use it most weeks. I think many folks have stayed home this season due to the pandemic. MANY RV's are now being used for permanent housing and are moved only occasionally.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just rescued an 1989 Chevy Chassis Coachmen Catalina, We are in the process of making her pretty and getting her out on the road. I will be reading a lot and asking a lot of questions. We are in the break down and clean process. This will tell us what else needs done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV02.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	300548   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV01.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	300549  

1sgtDavo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags