Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2022, 01:38 PM   #15

Some of us have moved off the freeways to secondary roads where we can. Better scenery, better roads usually, and more relaxing. As an added bonus, I go from 8 mpg to over 11 mpg. Saves a good bit.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkar View Post
Some of us have moved off the freeways to secondary roads where we can. Better scenery, better roads usually, and more relaxing. As an added bonus, I go from 8 mpg to over 11 mpg. Saves a good bit.
From your mouth to God's (and my) ears. Will be the way we travel.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 02:24 PM   #17

I’m seeing less rvs/tts on the roads. But……..I see rv dealer lots jam packed with inventory for sale.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Keith55...Where was that?
The roads around the Baltimore area like 270 and 70.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 04:26 PM   #19

Might be less RV;s on the road in some places but here in Oregon most CG's and RV parks are packed. If you don't have a camp spot to go to then why be on the road?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #20

We drove the 101 from Cloverdale (Sonoma County) to Eureka, CA, on Monday and back Tuesday. We saw tons of RVs of all types, including manufacturers not often seen ( we saw three Intechs; one a Sol Horizon, one a Luna, and one a Flyer) and even mentioned to each other we were glad we weren't driving this route on the weekend. We drove through Avenue of the Giants and both campgrounds were full.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 05:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Might be less RV;s on the road in some places but here in Oregon most CG's and RV parks are packed. If you don't have a camp spot to go to then why be on the road?
We're still using ours often, but we're keeping closer to home -- less road time. Maybe a lot of folks are doing that.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #22

Seeing as many or more rv’s on the road as ever down here. I do notice a lot of new gasser class-a’s. Campgrounds full as ever. But when we opt to get on a cancellation waiting list, we’re usually rewarded with a spot. Maybe more cancellations this year.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2022, 07:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
We're still using ours often, but we're keeping closer to home -- less road time. Maybe a lot of folks are doing that.
I'm in your camp. (pun intended) We aren't using ours as much as we normally do though. We used to go on Friday afternoons to a dirt race track about 60 miles from home and stay for the night with other folks who brought their campers and get together after the races. Good folks and the camping is free. Then the next day we would go over about 20 miles to another track and stay there for the day and watch the race and again stay for the night often meeting up with folks who attended the races Friday night.
Sunday morning we'd head for home and stop about half way home and have breakfast at one of our favorite diners. With the price of gas and everything else we have cut back to one or two times a month if that.
It'a a shame we can't get out more but you have to cut back somewhere just to keep the cupboards full at home, pay your utility bills etc. Pre Covid we wouldn't give a second thought about loading up and taking off to somewhere on a whim. Now we plan ahead and meanwhile the coach we so meticulously care for and enjoy just sit's in our driveway. Covid goes away and inflation and high prices take over. Some of this might change as my son and his wife have just bought a Coachmen 28' travel trailer and like me he is a race fan. I'm sure he'll be working on me to get out and go. It might just be the incentive I need to dip deeper into his inheritance.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
We are in the Black Hills, South Dakota, at Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort. A few hundred sites that look completely full every night. About 2/3 towables (almost all big ones) and 1/3 motorhomes of various types. Most seem to be families here for the week on a vacation - lots of kids at the pool and little bikes running around. We were at another campground about an hour away (KOA at Mt. Rushmore) for an activity last night, and it was overflowing. Mostly towables since that place is a fantastic location for families with children. I think people maybe going to a location and spending a week or two rather than traveling every 3-4 days.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2022, 02:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
At 7MPG and $6.00/GAL we're getting real close to a buck a mile, so where do you want to go honey ?
Nuff said ?

Last year my total MH upkeep was near $1/mile of traveling. I haven't figured this summers numbers because we haven't been anywhere since we returned home from spending the winter in FL.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #26

I live in an outdoorsy town in WV. I still see plenty of TTs, 5ers, and MHs traveling through town every day, even during the week. My son works at a state park campground. It is packed full every weekend, and fairly busy all through the week.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I too have seen the dealer lots full of travel trailers, especially at our local Camping World.

We have cut back, and lust got to Door County for 10 days at a time. Only 235 miles each way.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #28

Rexhall Owners Group
Been on the road for almost 2 months. Have seen many RV's on dealer lots. Most of these are smaller travel trailers. Not many motorhomes. We usually take secondary highways and avoid the Interstates. During this trip, we have not seen as many RV's on the road. We also have not had any problem finding RV parks but we don't hit the popular touristy locations either. State parks are mostly booked solid from Friday to Sunday.

Based on our observation, I'd say most of the new RV owners are younger working adults. They take their new toys out for a weekend and then bring them back home until the next weekend outing.

Unlike many of us senior full time or extended travel RVers I don't think the high gas prices will have much impact on the new owners. While no one likes paying $5 - $6 a gallon for fuel, if you're only out for a short weekender it's likely not a problem. For us, the cost of fuel this trip will be close to $4,000. That's close to double our past trips with similar overall mileage. Fortunately the high price fuel is not a deal breaker for us.

That said it still pi$$e$ me off and I hate to contribute to the excessive profits and price gouging mentality of the oil industry. Didn't have any choice on this trip, but for that reason, we'll be doing shorter trips until things improve.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
rvs