Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #57

It's business as usual here in Oregon campground wise. Everything's full and worse than 5 years ago. Many of the FS CG's we like to go to are even more full during the week.
I don't see the same RV travel on the roads but IMO that's because it's more in state travel. If you live in an area with great camping in close proximity then why travel to another state when fuel prices are killing the fun? If you live out of state and other states CG's are full then why go there?
Longer RV travel may be down, but actual camping times are not.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #58

My wife and I are workcamping in South Dakota. Iím in the field she does the checks ins. We are slammed with cancellations. Even during sturgis bike rally that people book out a year in advance with a minimum of 7 day booking and there is no refund after June 1st if you cancel . Most of everyone are stating itís the gas thatís stopping them.
In the black hills as we drive around I check out the other campgrounds and they appear at 50/60 percent capacity.
Bags4266 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2022, 10:13 AM   #59

We are out of Florida. Due to heat, we travel earlier in the day. Agree that number of rvs on the road is down, but saw more as we got farther away from FL.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #60

They are parked in storage. Diesel at 5.50/gal - $6/gal for rigs that get 8-9mpg is too much for many budgets. We will take ours to the mountains, and park it there for the summer. No long summer trips for us until diesel gets below $4/gal. Also, many of us are retirees on relatively fixed incomes. Inflation is shrinking our discretionary spending capacity.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2022, 04:30 PM   #61

Its the 4th of July weekend and I haven't seen hardly any. I go past the flying J every week and its pretty empty of RV's
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #62

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Where are all of the RVs? Apparently in the campgrounds we like.

Three years ago we used to be able to go to our favorite campgrounds, both with shore power and dry camping, without reservations and just pick a site. Now we have to make reservations or, for some of them, we can not get in at all because they are so busy.
Totally agree. While gas prices are a major concern for those of us who are retired and often travel 1000's of miles to a destination, I doubt the cost of fuel for a short 100 miles trip will affect the new buyer. Many are not retirees and don't have the time to travel long distances to out of state campgrounds for a weekend getaway.

Another increase that will affect seniors are camping fees. As campgrounds continue to fill, rates will likely increase based solely on supply and demand. Also, no need to offer a discount when RV parks are booked solid. But, just like the increased gas prices, not a big deal for the weekend camper.

Then there are a growing number of folks who simply cannot afford a traditional home. An older trailer or motorhome that isn't totally roadworthy is a viable alternative to a home or sky-high rent in the city. That will also take its toll on availability.

So I expect continuing increases in the cost of camping.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #63

Iíve slowed down and stay longer at one spot. I use my Harley to extend the exploration of the area. Amazing what is right next door to where youíre at.

But, Iím out there. I didnít buy a class ĎAí for the fuel mileage. Starting out I used a backpack and tent, upgrading as life allowed. Itís my dream come true by hard work. So why not enjoy the fruits of my labor?

Oh yeah, when I use the Harley, and have an extended outing, Iíll sleep on the ground or at a hotel if one is around. Iíve even slept on a beach. It was so cool as during that time, the water glowed at night. You never know just what you may see if you slow down and travel less.
Classic6200 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #64
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We just came south from Oregon through California, Thursday and Friday. The Red Bluff KOA where we like to overnight was about half full when its normally 3/4 full or better.

On Friday, we saw only two RV's going north between Chowchilla and Los Angeles. Today, I went to Lowes to pick up some windows we ordered. The place was packed, so was the automatic car wash down the street. Apparently, many/most stayed home.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2022, 04:24 PM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
We are in a park in Knoxville, Iowa and out of close to a 100 spots, there are probably only 5 or 6 available. It does look like the plates are mostly from Iowa, so maybe most people traveled, but only closer to home.

We have been on the road for 2 months and can say that we haven't seen as many RV's as in the past. I'm sure the fuel costs have made an impact.
Darrowman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2022, 07:40 AM   #66

I’m in West Yellowstone KOA it’s not full by a long shot. Grizzly RV Park in town is not full. Yellowstone is not busy.
No wait entrance July 1 & 2.
Not busy at old Faithful. Parked right at the visitor center.
Downtown West Yellowstone about 1/3 normal.
Gardiner was empty, almost everything closed. Couldn’t even get ice cream there.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #67

Where indeed

Travelled I25 south from Denver and I40 west to Holbrook last week, and saw very few. Maybe everyone was holding back for the July 4 week.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #68
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Iím in West Yellowstone KOA itís not full by a long shot. Grizzly RV Park in town is not full. Yellowstone is not busy.
No wait entrance July 1 & 2.
Not busy at old Faithful. Parked right at the visitor center.
Downtown West Yellowstone about 1/3 normal.
Gardiner was empty, almost everything closed. Couldnít even get ice cream there.
Neither is the other KOA down the road from us, it looks about 1/3 full. The other park we were in, Yellowstone RV Park at Mack's Inn was only about 1/2 full. Plenty of places to park right now in the area.

The only park that looked anything close to being full was the Yellowstone Holiday RV Campground & Marina on the edge of Hebgen Lake.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #69

We haven’t seen change on number of RVs on the road, but CW lots are packed. They’ve gotten so much bad PR that I believe many have stopped shopping there for an rv. Don’t know how they can stay in business. Finding a CG on a weekend is harder than ever, but easy on weekdays. That would seem to imply that working families are staying close to home for camping.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #70
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Exclamation

THREAD WARNING!!

Posts have been removed that have mentioned & baited political responses. You all know that's against our Community Rules. Don't do it.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
rvs