Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Where could my keys be?

It's been four days now and I still can't find my keys. Returned from a quick trip in the car and a day later couldn't find them. And we have looked everywhere. Have searched all the usual and unusual places I may have put them - closet, trash, refrigerator, clothes bin, basements, etc. We are parked on an all grass site and scoured the area countless times. I am now wondering if a pack rat, or perhaps a crow, grabbed them. Probably will get the dog's stomach x-rayed tomorrow. It's driving me nuts, even though we have duplicates.

Where is the oddest place you ever found your keys?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #2

Don't know where yours might be, but experience shows that mine are always in the last place I look. Of course, I usually stop looking after I find them.

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #3

Almost ALWAYS on top of something, because we (or me) are generally too lazy to bend over and set them down.. Nearly every time I've lost something, I later found it on top of something else... Also, you may wanna start looking for ANYTHING else except the keys, because that's another time I usually find a lost item.... When I'm looking for something else!!! Good luck... I know that frustration well (and AGE doesn't seem to be helping any..lol)
dragracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #4

Did you look under your car seats, our keys fell down between the space next to the seats and moved out of sight while driving. I only found them when I was giving the car a good cleaning.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours were in the grass where the toad was unhooked. Took 2 days to find them
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #6

I lost mine many times leaving them in a bay lock after opening. Out of site still attached to the RV
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:42 AM   #7

I only carry my truck key/fob all other keys are on a small key ring....5vr entry/compartment doors, gen enclosure, aux tool box.

After setting up 5vr in our campsite I looked and looked for the key ring. Couldn't find them for almost a week

Day we were leaving while hooking up 5vr GF strolls over to truck window, reaches in and gives me a love tap on back of head then hands me the keys.

Sat them down on bumper of truck in cut out area for the trailer ball and we had gone various places every day during that time.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Dealing with keys while traveling is a huge pain - if for any reason, just because of the number of keys involved. With coach, toad and accompanying apparatus combined .... there are 11 unique keys. With a spare of each one - that's 22 keys to keep track of. Then there is the daily keyrings of "home keys" (the keys we each carry when we're in the "sticks & bricks".) Here's the list of "traveling keys" alone.
  • Coach Engine Key
  • Basement Door Key
  • Entry Door Deadbolt Key
  • Exterior TV Compartment Key
  • Electric Cord Access Key
  • Toad Key
  • Tow Bar Hitch Locking Pin Key
  • Base Plate apparatus Key
  • Bike Rack Hitch Lock Pin Key
  • Bike Rack Lock Key
  • Bike Cable Lock Key
I split the keys into rings - based on use. Coach engine key by itself. All coach door keys and the toad key on a single ring. All tow bar and bike related keys on a single ring.

Shortly after we took possession of the coach - I made a "keyboard" - which is nothing more than a 10"x13" piece of 1/2 board mounted in one of the tiny shallow overhead storage cubby next to the TV at the front of the coach. The board has a dozen small cuphooks and 4 small eyelets screwed into it - and is attached inside the cubby with Velcro. Each hook is labeled. There's a hook for every keyring. Sunglasses get hung in there as well - using the eyelets.

In practice - I carry the "toad key and coach door keys" whenever I leave the coach. Everything else - I try to use and immediately return to the "keyboard". I HATE walking around with tons of stuff in my pockets - so I usually hang whatever keys are in my pocket up on the "keyboard" and stick my wallet in the cubby as well - the minute I walk into the coach.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
It's been four days now and I still can't find my keys. Returned from a quick trip in the car and a day later couldn't find them. And we have looked everywhere. Have searched all the usual and unusual places I may have put them - closet, trash, refrigerator, clothes bin, basements, etc. We are parked on an all grass site and scoured the area countless times. I am now wondering if a pack rat, or perhaps a crow, grabbed them. Probably will get the dog's stomach x-rayed tomorrow. It's driving me nuts, even though we have duplicates.

Where is the oddest place you ever found your keys?
You sure you didn't leave them in the ignition???
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #10

This probably won't help but, I lost my favorite pocket knife for nearly 3 months. Eventually found it hiding in the liner of my winter coat. It had slipped through a tiny hole in the pocket into the liner. I had stopped looking for but just by luck, I happened to feel it in the liner while putting it on the other day. I also recently misplace my smart key to my wife's Prius. I have stopped looking for it too and figure it will expose itself sooner or later just as the knife did.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
I also recently misplace my smart key to my wife's Prius. I have stopped looking for it too and figure it will expose itself sooner or later just as the knife did.
We lost the smart key to a rental Dodge Charger once. I finally realized if it was in the car somewhere, it will start. Sure enough it started. The key "fob" fell out of my pocket and down between the seat and console.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why does it seem that things are lost when your mind is paying attention to something else. Is it old age? Nah I doubt it. Good luck with the keys though.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many times have I had to call my wife's cell phone so she can find where she "hid" it?

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #14

They are right under your nose. You'll stumble on them. I once "lost" my purse in the RV. The saga of finding it would make a feature length comedic film involving Natl park law enforcement & maintenance crew, ?unhooking the fifth wheel and driving over 30 miles round trip to a couple scenic areas and 4 hours of lost travel time. In the end it was in the cupboard above the entertainment center. Why I would have put it there is anybody's guess. The fact that it was exactly the same tan color as the cabinet didn't help and neither Ron or I saw it until the 4th time we each looked there.
I go thru periods of daily searching for keys if I fail to use the collection basket on the dash near the door. There are extra sets of keys in a small cupboard and the valet key for the car never leaves. If its not in the ignition while towing its in rthe dash pocket

My phone has a bright colored cover so it can be seen if it falls under the car seat
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote