Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #15

I cut a 4" square of polycarbonate and screwed it onto the dash just to the right of the instrument binnacle and use the suction mount on that. I also fitted a 12 v outlet into the side of the binnacle behind the 7710 to keep the cabling tidy. (DW also uses that outlet to hook up a cross dash length of rope light!)
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the older Garmin 7200 series, and managed to secure the supplied mount that came with the unit, to the top of the glare shade that surrounds the top of the backup monitor. It took a little fabrication work on the mount, but worked out very nice.The GPS sits just to the right of the steering wheel at dashtop level, and is quite visible and very accessible, as well as removable, sans the mount.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I put 1/4 x4"x4" plexiglass on my upper dash above the radio to my right facing front. I just use the suction cup mount that came with my 7710. The 3M tape holding the plexiglass holds it just fine Thus no holes! I need it to be in reach on my right. That's my comfort zone.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. (www.rammount.com) they make holders and many styles of mounts. I have one on my Harley bagger, my Dodge pickup & the wife's Saturn Vue with GPS and CB radios.

Mike
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #19

I attach mine to the driver side window which is also near the 12 volt outlet in the side arm. The sliding window still clears the mount and its close enough to use and see. I found that the suction cup would not stick well enough to the dash and always let go without warning at the most inconvienient time.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have several GPS units. (4 now that I think of it)

Garmin E-Trex is now in storage in electronics lab/radio room.

Garmin Street Pilot III sits on dash in front of non-used segment of the display. Bungee cords secure it, it too may go to storage soon.

Dongle on extension cable lies in the "hollow" the rear view monitor folds down into.

Computer with MS. Streets & Trips sits on home made table on top of dog house.

GM Vortec 8.1 L is no DOG,,, but lives in said dog house.

By the way.. I have used 4 different versions of S&T going back to 2005's and the current one (2013) did a much better job of routing than anything I have tried in the past.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #21

I use CoPilot live and run it on my iPad. I found an iPad holder that has an extension (with suction holder) that I can attach to the very front of the driver's side window the arm then extends just over the top of the dash panel. In our Fleetwood Discovery the iPad sits just above the headlight controls. I have it positioned that it doesn't interfere with my side mirror or obstruct my view out of the front windshield.

I really like having the larger screen to view the GPS and have found CoPilot live to be one of the best.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 7 inch screen also. I mounted it on the wooden cabinet with the slideout drawer, that is on the engine cover. It picks up no glare and is not subject to light washout. I have used it this way since 2007 with no problems.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #23

I place my 5in over the speedometer since the GPS has a speedometer in it anyway. This makes it seem very natural, I don't think I need or want a 7in screen. I have no trouble seeing mine at this time.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We have the RM7710, and use the glass mount suction cup to attach it to the driver's side window. It is within easy reach of the driver and there is very little glare on it there. Of course, it has to be removed each time the window is opened more than a few inches, which hasn't been an issue so far.
Yes mounting it on the driver's side window has that drawback. In fact when we were in New York state we had to travel the Thruway for a few miles and I had to pop it off at the toll booth to open the window enough to pay. Did need to do that too often though, so it works as a place to have it for me. On I-40 across Oklahoma and Texas, I liked to switch to the dash view to see the altitude change, (not much)
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #25

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Here is my mount of a (defunct POS) RM 7710 using a RAM mount screwed to the window moulding. My trusty Garmin 7200 mounted faithfully below in the same manner. Had to make my own mount to the 7710.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
I have to at this, years back before the portable GPS we had a GPS dome that sat on the dash, that was hooked to a desk top computer with the tower under the dash and moniter infront of the passenger, and we were some HIGH TECH REDNECKS

Mounted to the drivers window so its easy to get to and see now
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
I have to at this, years back before the portable GPS we had a GPS dome that sat on the dash, that was hooked to a desk top computer with the tower under the dash and moniter infront of the passenger, and we were some HIGH TECH REDNECKS

Mounted to the drivers window so its easy to get to and see now
Before my 'ol Garmin Street Pilot, I thought only Military and Govt' Agencies had GPS...that was when they did the code/time shifting to confuse the commies.

So, who gave you that dome and 'puter stuff - huh?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Before my 'ol Garmin Street Pilot, I thought only Military and Govt' Agencies had GPS...that was when they did the code/time shifting to confuse the commies.

So, who gave you that dome and 'puter stuff - huh?
They were avalable at Camping World, about the only other thing, GPS has be avalable for public use since I was born in 1983 , was ceased in 1990 because of the war and back avalable in 1993, before 2000 it was not as accurate as today and thats why there was not many "portable" units I think the accuracy was 100 meters before 2000, to now its to 3 meters

I must ask, You have a Scarab??? I have been looking to trade up my Stingray for a V8 one, 50MPH and no V8 rumble dont cut it
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps