Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Pilot/FlyinJ have dump stations at some locations. I did a quick check and saw a couple just off I94 about an hour from Chicago.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #16

Flying J is $10.00 for a dump.
$5.00 with a Flying J Credit Card.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:23 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
If you get your black tank good and clean the day you leave the full hook-up site, you won't have much to worry about as long as you fill to over 3/4 full and drive for a while.

Just think about the thousands of rigs out there that do not have a black tank rinse system. And they survive.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:03 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is another option similar to egwilly's suggestion in post #14 of using a macerator to dump the black tank.

It's called Sewer Solutions and uses a dedicated fresh water hose to power a jet action that sends the effluent out a separate 3/4" discharge hose as far as 100' and even uphill to a degree. This makes it possible to dump your tanks at home if your sewer cleanout is accessible from the driveway, even to a far corner of the house if necessary. I don't use mine often, but its on board if the situation dictates its use.

This Sewer Solutions product may sound improbable, but if it you think it may be even remotely useful, look it up on Amazon or Camping World for details and cost.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoRick View Post
Sorry for this newbie question. We’re going on a 10 day trip with full hookups. When we return we’d like to stay at a Harvest Host or similar boon docking location. We’ll only have one day of black and gray tank when we get home. When and where can you empty so you can flush the black tank? I know there are dump stations but I assume you can’t flush there. I’ve never used a dump station yet other than those on my site. Also, is there anything I should do to add to the tanks so I don’t get sludge in the bottom of the tanks. I don’t want a black tank issue so any help would be appreciated. TIA
Dump stations are a persistent issue. All but one that I have used have fresh water for flushing waste tanks. In that case I use the fresh water system in my TT to flush the black tank. I have a short hose and check valve system especially for that case.

Many Pilot/Flying J truck stops have a full service RV dump station.

All Wisconsin state parks with campgrounds have full service dump stations available for price of day admission.
Several county parks near my home have fee for use dump stations.
Search and ye shall find.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I carry a 50ft garden hose to use for my black tank flushing.
A side note. If youre only going to be boondocking for one day, you could just leave the tanks alone and dump them next time you get to a site. I take my RV duck hunting most winter and I dont dump the tanks all winter. I live in california though so I dont really have to worry about the tanks freezing or anything in the winter.

As long as your system is sealed properly you should not have any issue with smell.
I don't carry a hose for flushing. Never have seen a need. I rarely flush any of the tanks on our rig. I sometimes add a few gallons of water via the slinky to do a 2nd dump but this is maybe twice a year at most, when I'm at a dump station with no one waiting behind me. Have never had an issue using the "empty and go" system in the past 30 something years..

For the OP, I wouldn't worry at all leaving the tank partially full. Just make sure it's mostly liquid in the tank. And of course when you do think about dumping, try to wait until the tank level is at least above the 1/2 full mark. Get that swoosh and you're most likely gonna be fine.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where/How to empty black tank

I had a clear piece coming off the valve when flushing and it never ceased to amaze me seeing what came out. Regular dumping doesn’t do the trick. If you have to leave the tanks without being able to dump , a few gallons of water as mentioned will breakdown the solids.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank