Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Where to find RV inspectors

Hi everyone,

Just introduced myself yesterday and today looking for advice on where to find RV inspectors. We are familiar with marine surveyors and they are easy enough to find, but have no idea where to find one for an RV "surveyor".

All is new to us here. I am very much a DIY guy and mechanically inclined, but not familiar with some RV systems.

Any info appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #2

Call a reputable RV dealer in your area and ask the sales Dept.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

You might also ask some of the RV repair places in your area if they do inspections. I know where I live, one RV repair place will inspect an RV's systems, appliances, and structure (no engine inspection as they do not do engine work). I don't know whether area Cummins or Cat facilities do engine and/or transmission inspections, though.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Call a reputable RV dealer in your area and ask the sales Dept.
Thanks, we mentioned this to one of our local dealers and he told us that we would have to bring the rig to the dealership for inspection. Is this normal practice to bring a rig from one dealership to another?

Seems would be more feasible if buying privately to ask the owner to bring to a dealer for inspection.

Sorry for all the questions, we are really newbies in this field.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I used Accurate RV Inspection out of Stuart, FL in May for a coach I was looking at near Lakeland.

He inspects both RVs as well as marine craft and appeared to have done a good job on our inspection, finding hidden water damage and wall delamination. We also had a separate mechanical inspection by a mobile diesel mechanic. You can read the report I posted in this forum at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/pre-p...ts-204665.html

As noted in the above report, Accurate's rate is high and his travel charge to Lakeland (about the same distance as you) was another $150.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

A little commonsense, a good flashlight, an electrical tester and you can do about the same job, if not better, than any so-called RV Surveyor will do. BTW, have you read any of their contracts, they limit themselves for things they miss or that you find is not working when they say it is.

The routine btw is pretty simple, if it turns on, turn it on and make sure it works, if it's supposed to get hot, make sure it does, if it cools make sure it does that too. Try it using all modes (propoane, electric 12V and 120V, generator run).

If you have been living on a boat, then the RV systems are a snap and I don't think you will need to waste the money. JMO but one that has worked for me on 6 RV purchases.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

If you are going to finace, call the finance company & ask them.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Based upon a poll I conducted in this forum a while ago, most folks (78.67%) buying a used motorhome chose to forego having a professional inspection performed and only a mere 9% had both a professional coach and mechanical inspection performed.

I had both inspections when looking at what I thought was a good coach only to find it had several significant issues in both areas.

The majority of folks (54.67%) chose to inspect the coach themselves or in conjunction with a friend. I would suggest that that is fine IF you know what all to look for in both coach and mechanical. Many times people overestimate their knowledge and are unaware of the many things they don't know. A "professional" inspection(s) is no guarantee and I am not suggesting it should supplant your own personal inspection but rather that the investment is an unbiased 3rd party with broader experience and focus would produce more accurate results. Thorough due diligence is always prudent when making a large investment.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

Ron and others, thanks for the replies and info. Thanks to our trawler, I am quite educated on complete sanitation systems and know more than I care to about hydraulic steering.

My concerns are the sides, floors and roofs. Especially with all the different "vacuum bonding" of panel to frames (or whatever they choose to call it in their sales brochures.

I'm sure there is nothing too mysterious, I just hope to avoid a learning moment on the side of the road.

Sometimes, it helps if you don't know what you don't know!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ken,

One of the things that made me lean toward using Accurate's service, despite their higher cost, was the fact that he utilizes a moisture meter in addition to a visual check for signs of water intrusion.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

Ron,
I agree that prudent use of a moisture meter can expose unseen problems. I also agree that improper use of the same meter can be worse than no meter at all.

I have travelled across several states to purchase boats in the past. When you can't find what you want locally, you have to travel!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #12

i would find one that dos not seal / repair any thing

i have heard so many bad story's of places like this just trying to seal work

if you know how to keep water out of a boat then its a walk in the park for you
most all the systems are the same .. or work the same
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote