Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Where to get flooring replaced?

I would like to get new carpet and vinyl flooring to update the look of my class A. Any suggestions of reputable places near L.A. that can do this?

Note that I would prefer someone that specializes in flooring rather than an RV service center. The RV places just have such a shady reputation that I doubt the quality of their work.
msennott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msennott View Post
I would like to get new carpet and vinyl flooring to update the look of my class A. Any suggestions of reputable places near L.A. that can do this?

I'm a DIYer, but if I wasn't, I would prefer someone that specializes in flooring rather than an RV service center. The RV places just have such a shady reputation that I doubt the quality of their work.
Are you going to DIY or not? Your comments are a bit ambiguous.

If not:

I don't know about LA, but most, or at least many flooring stores are going to be very expensive since they don't want the bother of RVs. LA is big enough that there may be an independent RV guy/shop that does this.

On the other hand, the installers for most flooring shops, such as S&G carpet, hire independent installers to do their work. These independent installers also advertise on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. You should be able to find out over the phone if they have experience with RVs. By going the independent route, you do run the risk of possible finger pointing between the material vendor and the installer if something goes amiss. Many products (laminates, engineered wood, etc.) aren't warranted for RV use since there are so many variables such as movement, temperature, moisture, etc. In most cases they perform fine, but the manufacturer and sellers just don't want the risk.

Either way, flooring store or independent, ask for references on RV jobs.

Be prepared for some pretty scary bids.

If DIY:

It really doesn't matter where you buy your materials as long as the material is a good quality brand name. Price isn't too important since your square footage is relatively small. We used S&G carpet an installed 19" or 20" square carpet tiles. They still feel nice on your feet, are durable, stain resistant, easy to clean, and, if damaged, you can just pop in another tile. They're much easier to install than a large piece of carpet. We used double-sided carpet tape instead of mastic and it's held up fine for several years.

I presume S&G is a franchise and stores may vary, but our's treated us fantastically when we had a material failure on a $15k luxury vinyl floor job in our house. They sent someone out to evaluate the issue and ended up re-doing the entire job with a different product for free. Even as a franchise, they have a corporate boss.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #3

when i had my basement carpet replaced 3 yrs ago because of some water damage the place we got the carpet from contracts out to a company to lay the carpet.it's run by a woman and she came out with her kid and had about 700 sq ft done in 4 rooms in a good day,i asked if she did campers and she said no problem she has done a bunch of em.so check flooring store and ask around.i went with a mohawk carpet it is called air-o it is made for wet locations,it has a felt backing and made from recycled plastic pop bottles,they brought it in about 2 weeks before she laid it and it does not off gas.never have smelled the carpet,cool stuff, i love the stuff.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply. I should have proofread the post before hitting enter because I wrote it while distracted - I can see how it’s ambiguous.

I guess what I forgot to write is that I’m quite handy, but doing the “doghouse” over the engine is giving me pause. Seems like it would be easy to end up with a crummy looking result because of the curves.

Carpet squares are an excellent idea - I like the modular system. Did you have an engine hump to deal with? If so, how did you handle it?
Old 08-29-2021, 11:04 PM   #5

Thank you for the reply - damp proof carpeting is an excellent idea.

Tags
ace, floor, flooring, replace