Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #1

RV Trip Wizard
Where to get gas midway between Flagstaff & Pagosa Springs

Please help us out. We need to get gas between the Pilot in Bellemont AZ and Pagosa River Campground CO. Trying to minimize the number of stops as it is a long trip for us. The Sinclair gas station at Mexican Water Trading Post on Hwy 160 is the perfect distance between Bellemont and Pagosa. However I can't verify that this place is still in business. Every time I call the phone number as listed on the Google and Sinclair web pages I get a busy signal.

So in the last 2 weeks, has anyone stopped for gas at the Mexican Water Trading Post in Arizona? If so, what do you think of the place?

This is the address:
Mexican Water Trading Post, US-160, Teec Nos Pos, AZ
HBandWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

I just did a quick Google of that station & it says "permanently closed".

There is fuel in Tuba City, AZ on 160 (probably be too close to your previous fillup in Flagstaff but would be a better price than Flagstaff), Kayenta, AZ at 163 & 160 and Cortez, CO on 160, Mancos, CO on 160, Durango, CO on 160.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

We did Flagstaff to Gallup to Pagosa a couple years back.

Should find gas in Gallup and Farmington unless you've already started up 160
Old 09-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #4

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobReab View Post
We did Flagstaff to Gallup to Pagosa a couple years back.

Should find gas in Gallup and Farmington unless you've already started up 160
Unfortunately we are camping north of Flagstaff at Bonito Campground off Hwy 160. But backtracking down through Gallup is an option I'll look into. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #5

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I just did a quick Google of that station & it says "permanently closed".

There is fuel in Tuba City, AZ on 160 (probably be too close to your previous fillup in Flagstaff but would be a better price than Flagstaff), Kayenta, AZ at 163 & 160 and Cortez, CO on 160, Mancos, CO on 160, Durango, CO on 160.
Yeah, I saw that too on Google. But lately, because of covid, Google hasn't been able to keep up with places that have to yo-yo between being open and being closed. Or open with changed hours. So we have been calling places we want to visit and verifying that they are open and when. I have used RV Trip Wizard, Google, and review sites etc. to plan our trips but this place has me stumped!

Thank you for the info on the other places to get gas though.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #6

I think most chain gas stations will be open.

I guess I'd plan for places big enough to have a Sam's, Costco, Wal Mart etc.

I don't think you'll have a problem, honestly.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBandWB View Post
Yeah, I saw that too on Google. But lately, because of covid, Google hasn't been able to keep up with places that have to yo-yo between being open and being closed. Or open with changed hours. So we have been calling places we want to visit and verifying that they are open and when. I have used RV Trip Wizard, Google, and review sites etc. to plan our trips but this place has me stumped!

Thank you for the info on the other places to get gas though.
Guess I don't understand your concern if it states "permanently" closed vs. closed. I'd wouldn't question that it's closed.

Bonito campground is an all-time favorite of ours... stopped there 2x/yr when we left AZ for the season and when we returned. Enjoy!

Bonito C.G. to Pagosa via 160 is 355 miles and a much prettier drive than I-40.

Bonito C.G. via I-40 to Gallop then north on 491 is 400 mi.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #8

Why are you going as far North as Mexican Hat to get to Pagosa unless you are wanting to go to Monument Valley? If that's the case, just go to Kayenta and up. Kayenta will have fuel and stations that will accommodate RV's. Cortez will have fuel as will Durango and Bayfield. There probably won't be fuel in Bluff or Montezuma Creek. It's only 46 miles from Kayenta to Mexican Hat, so if Mexican Hat will work for you, they Kayenta should also.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

the above is correct. we've driven that route and there are stations each of the places listed that can handle large rv's.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #10

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
Why are you going as far North as Mexican Hat to get to Pagosa unless you are wanting to go to Monument Valley? If that's the case, just go to Kayenta and up. Kayenta will have fuel and stations that will accommodate RV's. Cortez will have fuel as will Durango and Bayfield. There probably won't be fuel in Bluff or Montezuma Creek. It's only 46 miles from Kayenta to Mexican Hat, so if Mexican Hat will work for you, they Kayenta should also.
Because we want to and thank you for your response.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #11

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
the above is correct. we've driven that route and there are stations each of the places listed that can handle large rv's.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #12

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:29 AM   #13

Quote:

you're not going to find one of these store on that route! there is a sam's club and walmart in flagstaff and there is a walmart in durango. a large portion of the route will be through the navajo nation and ute reservation.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #14

NM491 out of Gallup is a good road. Much of it is divided highway and lightly traveled. Plenty of places for fuel in Gallup. That said, 160 through Kayenta is fine too but mostly two lane. Plenty of fuel opportunities in Tuba City, Kayenta and Cortez. I-40 and NM491 would be my choice but you can't go wrong either way.

Tags
ags, gas