Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Many of these (melt down) failures are due to loose wire terminals. It's a good idea to periodically check the tightness of the wire lugs.

Do you know what caused your failure?

I don’t know for sure. Like you said it is possible that a lug had loosened up. Since I had another unexplained electric failure at the same time I suspect a surge. In the future I will use a surge protector and check the lugs occasionally.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #16

Thanks for all of the great advice. I am thinking about using plugs on the inputs and outputs of all devices so I can quickly bypass a failed component. Since I am installing the transfer switch and the EMS unit I can very easily add them now. Once I get it done I will post pictures (just waiting for spring to get BORT out of storage).
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a progressive attached to the pedestal that took a lighting strike and it arched from the case of the progressive back to the pedestal. Not only destroyed the Progressive EMS but left a big burn spot in the case. I'm glad it was on the post and the arch wasn't inside my RV. I still use a plug into the post-Progressive EMS. Progressive ended up replacing the unit since it was not repairable with the burnt spot on the case.

Now if there lighting in the area we unplug but our hit was during a pop up storm when we out sightseeing.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I have my Progressive hard wired, but I like the idea of a portable in the electric service bay. I recently wired in a digital 120v gauge in the center dash board. I love knowing the AC voltage whether running the generator or plugged in to a receptacle.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #19

We sometimes forget that a surge protector is a sacrificial device in much the same way a fuse is. When it gets zapped due to a surge it is doing what we bought it for.

I'm surprised a company would replace a surge protector that fails because of a surge or lightening strike.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
Thanks for all of the great advice. I am thinking about using plugs on the inputs and outputs of all devices so I can quickly bypass a failed component. Since I am installing the transfer switch and the EMS unit I can very easily add them now. Once I get it done I will post pictures (just waiting for spring to get BORT out of storage).
Just be aware that the addition of extra plugs and receptacles adds a lot of connection points that are subject to their own set of problems.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
We sometimes forget that a surge protector is a sacrificial device in much the same way a fuse is. When it gets zapped due to a surge it is doing what we bought it for.

I'm surprised a company would replace a surge protector that fails because of a surge or lightening strike.
I believe that Progressive has replacement parts available to restore their units to operating condition after a damaging surge. Of course, in some cases it may be more economical to replace the whole unit.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #22

Quote:

Actually I am not, having been in sales, they take the chance of such a direct strike as to totally fry the unit and replace it and that cost turns into a very cheap marketing ad in their guarantee. This is especially true in their belief that their product can probably absorb 95% of all "bad" surges without destroying the device itself. I am sure many more people bought these units since they come with a great warranty vs another product.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #23

Mine was installed by the vendor at the end of the 50amp power cord, in the Electrical Bay. I have a Progressive EMS.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:39 AM   #24

My RV dealer installed mine *after* the transfer switch. I HATE it. I can’t see amps used when running on the generator. I’d really prefer it if it were before the transfer switch.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:43 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by learntorv View Post
My RV dealer installed mine *after* the transfer switch. I HATE it. I can’t see amps used when running on the generator. I’d really prefer it if it were before the transfer switch.
If it is installed after the transfer switch it should show all power going to the mains. If it was installed before the transfer switch it would only show the incoming shore power. If that is the case, yours is installed before the switch. I installed mine after for the reason you are stating. Also, a loose connection at the transfer switch could create a low voltage situation in the coach and allow the ems to do its job for that situation in addition to issues with park power.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
Actually I am not, having been in sales, they take the chance of such a direct strike as to totally fry the unit and replace it and that cost turns into a very cheap marketing ad in their guarantee. This is especially true in their belief that their product can probably absorb 95% of all "bad" surges without destroying the device itself. I am sure many more people bought these units since they come with a great warranty vs another product.
PI specifically excludes "lightening damage" from it's warranty coverage.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
PI specifically excludes "lightening damage" from it's warranty coverage.
Yes, but most people know a that ANY surge protector does not stop a direct lightening strike, but for everything else they cover it. Still a great marketing play. Thanks for the update.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the P/I portable chained & padlocked to the power pedestal. No problems with theft.

Tags
install