Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #29

We looked for 5 years before buying our first RV (a travel trailer). Our mistake was thinking that our first one would be our only one so we were looking for perfection. Of course, when we finally bought one, we thought we had found it. We kept it for 2 years and loved it, until....one day, just looking around, we saw one that we liked even better. After using our "perfect" one for several trips, we started recognizing little things that we wished we had considered. Since you know that an upgrade is most likely in your future, don't worry about finding "perfect". However, since you want your first experience to be enjoyable, look for one that looks comfortable for you (i.e., if you get a couple of rainy days in a row, will you be comfortable hanging out in your camper while waiting it out, or will you be tempted to pack up and go home?). You're first RV will help you determine what you want in your full time one. There will be times when you say, "This is nice, but I wish we had...". Best of luck to you!

2014 Cougar 33RES
2012 F-250 Powerstroke

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reines RV Center, Manasas, VA - new 25' Keystone Outback, 2005
Reines RV Center, Manasas, VA - new 29' Keystone Cougar, 2008
CW of Spartansburg, SC - used Winnebago Tour 42QD, 2011
CW of Raleigh, NC - new Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 2014

The best salesman we ever had is Stephen Crook of the CW of Raleigh. Recently promoted to Sales Manager, and a great guy - I guarantee it

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
We were looking for a WGBO DP and found one at La Mesa. Long story short, the sale process was horrific and we backed out. Checked Fountain Hills RV website in Fountain Hills, AZ. I had been to this dealer a few years before and was impressed. He only stocks about 20 previously owned pristine motorhomes(his lot is small). We found this one there and it was in almost new condition and price was right. Tom is a good guy to deal with, no bs, just straight forward dealing and fairness.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Since you are in MA, Take a look at Diamond in West Hatfield (just off I-91 Exit 22N). They are fairly big We purchased our new 5er there and have been happy with the sales folks and the service. Frank or Smitty as sales and Sara as the service manager. They have a fairly large number of new and used Class A, B and C's on the lot as well as trailers - and no, I have no vested interest. We chose them (120 miles/2.5 hours away) after being turned off by the local 'biggie' a few miles away and a couple others a little further out.
Thanks - I'll check them out.
bmattei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #33

Sherri330,
Thanks - we have a lot to learn.
Bob
Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #34

ChrisKW,
Thank you. Nice to know the dealers that people like.

Bob
Old 11-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #35

doorguy - good to know there are dealers that people like.

Thanks - Bob
Old 11-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Where, what, why, when and how did you buy your RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattei View Post
Looking for an RV and would like to know how you went about it. New? Used? Dealer? Private Seller? What worked? What didn't? How was your experience? What would you do differently?

Thank you - Bob
Bought used (I'm the 2nd owner) as that was in the budget. Dealer 1,000 miles away (Independence RV in FL). Pretty much everything works, there was nothing wrong with the coach upon delivery. My experience was great as it was the right floor plan for me, the coach works as expected. What I would do differently is study more before purchasing and selected a tag axle instead of a single. Other than that I'm totally satisfied so far with my choice and experience thus far (all 9 months of it ).
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #37

BokoBird,
Glad you got off to a good start - I hope we do as well.

Bob
Old 11-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #38

Still looking

We looked at a couple of rigs today. A mechanic who buys them at auction fixes them up and resells them. Looks like he did a pretty good job and he offers a bumper to bumper 6 month 6000 mile warranty.

Any comments on buying RVs that have been auctioned? (My research seems to indicate a lot of dealers get used rigs from auctions)
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
bmattei,
We really haven't had to do much except to wax her, changed oil, filter, air cleaner and fuel filters.
I have paid too have a few items fixed and/or changed by choice. We feel we really lucked out on her.
Taking her on our maiden voyage (5000+ miles) Dec 26th, we have taken a lot of trips around 500-1000. We plan on taking a week to get there and 3-4 months to get back. We are in no hurry
Retirement has its advantagements
Happy Holiday's,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattei View Post
We looked at a couple of rigs today. A mechanic who buys them at auction fixes them up and resells them. Looks like he did a pretty good job and he offers a bumper to bumper 6 month 6000 mile warranty.

Any comments on buying RVs that have been auctioned? (My research seems to indicate a lot of dealers get used rigs from auctions)
That's going to take a level of experience and confidence very few first timers are going to have....

Without a health dose of both, I would not recommend that gamble at all.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
That's going to take a level of experience and confidence very few first timers are going to have....

Without a health dose of both, I would not recommend that gamble at all.
To be clear i would not consider buying at an auction. What i was curious about is buying from someone who fixes up rigs that he purchases at auctions. Are you saying I should avoid any rig that has been through an auction or just that I should not buy at auction myself?

thank you bob
Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #42

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
bmattei,
We really haven't had to do much except to wax her, changed oil, filter, air cleaner and fuel filters.
I have paid too have a few items fixed and/or changed by choice. We feel we really lucked out on her.
Taking her on our maiden voyage (5000+ miles) Dec 26th, we have taken a lot of trips around 500-1000. We plan on taking a week to get there and 3-4 months to get back. We are in no hurry
Retirement has its advantagements
Happy Holiday's,
Tim
Tim,
Have fun on your trip - i don't even know where you're going and i'm envious.
Happy holidays to you too.

Thanks Bob