Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #15

FWIW I've had to hook up or unhook in the road several times over the years. I don't think anyone has ever come along while I was doing it. Being new at flat towing if you do have to hook up in the road and someone comes along don't let it fluster you. Be methodical and don't miss any steps because you're rushing to get out of the way.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2022, 06:34 PM   #16

Sometimes a good place is at te dump station at the campground. (If nobody is there)
On anything pull through we don't unhook until we need to.

On back ins, usually by the site.

We can unhook in less than a minute. Basically as fast as she can get the Jeep into drive.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Great answers. Thanks.

But we tend to camp in National Parks and Provincial/State Campgrounds, and which are almost all back-in sites and the entrances tend to be rougher and lacking in straightaways.

Suggestions?
B
DrBob7762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob7762 View Post
Great answers. Thanks.

But we tend to camp in National Parks and Provincial/State Campgrounds, and which are almost all back-in sites and the entrances tend to be rougher and lacking in straightaways.

Suggestions?
B
For these type of parks Google satellite view is probably your best bet. Many if not most will only have a single lane road serving as entrance and exit. If there is no office or open area at the entrance, then you will most likely have to find a pull-out before you enter the park.

My wife doesn't drive at all so there have been times I have had quite a walk to retrieve the towed after parking the coach. Usually good exercise but not so much fun in inclement weather.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob7762 View Post
Great answers. Thanks.

Suggestions?
B
We also used the same kinds of parks and if there's no place to pull over at the entry just drive to your site and unhook in the road. It really doesn't take long and we never had an issue. If someone comes along they were patient to wait. Move the car in an empty campsite, if available and back your RV in. Sometimes there's room at the restrooms to park the car for a short time. You won't be the first one doing this!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:24 AM   #20

DrBob, we often stay at public campgrounds, COE, State / National Park, etc. and there is no one rule for unhooking the TOAD, sometimes this means unhooking at the check in area which can be some distance from the camp site, other times there is a wide spot in the camping loop road, often parking in front of the restrooms, etc. that allow unhooking closer to the camp site, and occasionally, yes we will block the camping loop road to unhook for a back in site, which my wife and I can do working together in 2-3 minutes, of course that leaves either the TOAD or the coach blocking the road for another couple of minutes while we move vehicles around, usually this is not a problem. We try not to block the camping loop road for longer than necessary, but yes we will do it, particularly when the alternative is for someone to make a 2 mile walk back to the entry gate to get the TOAD.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:27 AM   #21

You might be over thinking this a tad. The real answer to your question is "It Depends"
Everyplace is different so everyplace requires a different solution, just remain fluid.

I don't remember ever unhooking someplace and then going to the RV Park, we've always done it at the park. Sometimes we do it at check in, sometimes we do it at the site. I don't really care that much about level. I start the toad and move it forward to put a little pressure on the bars and then put it in park and set the e-brake on it.

We Google Earth everything (it's not perfect) but if a park is smaller, twisty i.e. tight, I'll usually unhook at check-in, if it's pretty open usually at the site.

Really no hard and fast rule just go with the flow. You'll figure out your groove.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:38 AM   #22

When we first started we always unhooked at the office and the wife would scout out the route to the site......we still do it today if the place looks tight. Nothing wrong with being cautious. We didn't do it one time took some scratches on the toad.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:49 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
When you get into a campground, it will almost always be obvious where to unhitch. Many times there is a wide spot right at the entry gate. In older National and State parks with narrow roads and no entry gate, we just stop in the road and unhitch. They aren’t generally so busy we really bother others. If you have any concerns, make a phone call at your first 5 or 6 stops. You will probably be much more comfortable after a few times. Oh, and we do unhitch at parking lot overnights. Had a few times where people parked right in front of us. These days we put the toad in front so I know I will have room to get out.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe, as many have said, you are over hiking this issue. I've been flat towing since 2002 when I traded my last fiver in on my first MH. The tow bar that the dealer provided me was a POS, excuse my French. It was a bear to hook up and unhook; took forever to unhook. Used it one season and bought a Blue OX, and I am still using the same one on its 4th toad. With the Blue Ox you don't need a flat, straight away to unhook. If one bar has tension, unhook the one you can and turn your steering wheel and it will release the tension on the other bar. Even if they are both tight moving the steering wheel back and forth will release the tension on one of them. It takes me less than two minutes to unhook, unhooking the cables takes most of the time bc of where they attach to the MH.
As most have said, take your time and relax, it's not brain surgery. LOL. And have some fun!!
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:32 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
In nearly 3 years of full timing (usual stays are a week or less) and we have never had a problem finding a place to hook and unhook at the various campgrounds. I would put this way down on the worry list
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #26

Can't say I have ever unhooked before getting to a campground. We usually unhook in the first open spot after registering. We almost exclusively use state or county parks. Almost always there is a spot within a few yards where you can pull over and leave room for others to pass. We take the toad to have a look at the layout of the campsite and how we want to get there and park if it looks like it might be tight at all. If there is no obvious spot to disconnect near registration I will block the road and disconnect. Once you have done it a few times it takes almost no time and people will be patient as long as you are obviously working to get out of their way. I can only remember doing this a couple of times in 8 years and both times we knew the camp ground and drove right to the site and disconnected on the road because it was just easier than disconnecting earlier. No need to reconnoiter in advance.

At overnight stops we never disconnect unless there is a specific reason to.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:35 AM   #27

Toad unhooking etiquette.

No steadfast rule. The location dictates what we do.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:35 PM   #28

Don't count on information from the campground. We had to unhook in when it wasn't possible to make a turn. If we don't know the campground we will unhook nearby in a store or along the street, but we are 63 feet over all length.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad