Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Which is the most RV unfriendly state

I vote Florida, 3 hours rest is the rule at all state rest stops. Walmarts have no overnight (will tow) signs at every lot entrance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

Are we only talking about unfriendly for free overnight parking ?

I've stayed overnight at a Sams Club, Wal-Marts, rest areas and truck stops in FL. We only stayed the night, they are not a destination.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
When I find restrictions on rest area rest times, I just go to a truck stop like Pilot/Flying J or Loves. You're always welcome there.

Wal-Mart restrictions are usually mandated by the municipal laws of the town itself.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

We have stayed at Walmart, Panama City and at a Rest Area south of Tampa on I-75.
We go in, we respect the RV etiquette, stay 1 night only, and leave early the next day, and have never been told to leave.
I understand why there are restrictions in Florida. With so many RV's in Florida, if everything was open, they would be filled with people taking advantage of long term stays, just look at the Flying J's in St. Augustine and Fort Pierce.
We have seen people arrive, unhook their trailers, toads etc. and drive off for the day!
After spending a night in St. Augustine, we drove past the same location 3 days later and actually saw units still parked in the lot.
I have been told by RV owners that they had already been in Fort Pierce for 2 weeks when we arrived!
They were unfriendly, expected their double spaces to be kept open for their 2nd vehicle and upset that we pulled in and they couldn't open their slides on both sides!
Needless to say, we did not stay.
I would not call Florida unfriendly to RV's.
There are many many parks available to fit every budget.
IMHO it's these RV owners that have, and will continue to ruin it for everyone, not the State.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Florida rv unfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
When I find restrictions on rest area rest times, I just go to a truck stop like Pilot/Flying J or Loves. You're always welcome there.

Wal-Mart restrictions are usually mandated by the municipal laws of the town itself.
state rule
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mqn3w5WuHt1sOC
Old 12-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #6

Not sure what you're trying for with your post.

The rules are there from a practicality standpoint. When we evacuated for Hurricane Irma this past summer, it was a very eye-opening experience. Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuating along two main arteries: I-75 and I-95. The rest areas were quickly overwhelmed. Sanitation was a nightmare. People who truly needed the facilities couldn't use them because of all the people occupying the parking spots.

Now, remove the rules that FDOT has in place, and every snowbird (they come in the tens of thousands) will be pulling in, setting up their trailers, cooking, and overwhelming the rest areas, looking for a cheap place to set up. It's called a "REST AREA" for a reason. Pull in, rest for a couple of hours, then continue along to your destination, leaving a rest spot open for the next traveler.

It's got nothing to do with being "unfriendly".
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
Here is a list of" Friendly " and " Un-friendly " states, according to one of your conditions.

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/state..._policies.html
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:18 AM   #8

I just saw a Class A parked at a Walmart yesterday morning - they were just starting to pull out at 0715.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
every snowbird (they come in the tens of thousands) will be pulling in
I agree and it seems to be getting worse. I have lived here all my life and always saw the RVs but didn't really pay attention to them until we bought ours. I am a member of RVillage and get alerts when other members go through our area and I see the same people going back and forth from/to their booked state park (or other time restricted) spots all winter.
It is a little frustrating for people like us that live in FL and try to use the wonderful state park system we have for a long weekend during "season" - I can't get a state park spot unless we book 11 months ahead. We have to go out of our state to camp.
I understand that people come here for the warmth but to fill every state park spot on every day for 4-5 months - wow. Oh and try to get a Thousand trails spot during that time either The TT in Orlando has 900 spots - 100% booked.
Rant over
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:33 AM   #9

I'd like to know why some RVers think they are owed a free overnight or camping space. As stated, a rest area is for just that - rest and to use the facilities while traveling. If Walmart, Cracker Barrel, or anyone else welcomes overnighters, fine by me. It's their property and their right to do so. If they don't, for whatever reason, that's also their right. I get the convenience part of it, but no one owes me a free space.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
OK outside the "right" to free overnight camping. My vote for most unfriendly state goes to New York. Many of the major routes to not allow RVs and many less traveled roads have low bridges and overpasses making it hard to get from Point A to point B at times.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I just saw a Class A parked at a Walmart yesterday morning - they were just starting to pull out at 0715.

I agree and it seems to be getting worse. I have lived here all my life and always saw the RVs but didn't really pay attention to them until we bought ours. I am a member of RVillage and get alerts when other members go through our area and I see the same people going back and forth from/to their booked state park (or other time restricted) spots all winter.
It is a little frustrating for people like us that live in FL and try to use the wonderful state park system we have for a long weekend during "season" - I can't get a state park spot unless we book 11 months ahead. We have to go out of our state to camp.
I understand that people come here for the warmth but to fill every state park spot on every day for 4-5 months - wow. Oh and try to get a Thousand trails spot during that time either The TT in Orlando has 900 spots - 100% booked.
Rant over
X2, but for AZ. Almost identical conditions as you describe. There was a post about this awhile back that attracted some interesting comments. The worst part is that it seems to get worse every year. The only thing I want to know is why many snowbirds insist on driving 10 mph slower than the posted speed limits when driving their toads around
Old 12-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
If was picking a most friendly state one of the top concerns for me would be taxes both personnel and vehicle/RV taxes. Here is a list of looking at some of the taxes...

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...r_fulltime_rv/

I have seen post of people claiming thousands in yearly personnel property taxes on RVs and that would be a huge negative for me.

I guess the only thing that would trump taxes for me would be weather.

CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
X2, but for AZ. Almost identical conditions as you describe. There was a post about this awhile back that attracted some interesting comments. The worst part is that it seems to get worse every year. The only thing I want to know is why many snowbirds insist on driving 10 mph slower than the posted speed limits when driving their toads around

If you think it is safe to travel 70,75 Mph go ahead. 60 max always in the right hand lane, you can use the left to pass.
emuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuller1 View Post
If you think it is safe to travel 70,75 Mph go ahead. 60 max always in the right hand lane, you can use the left to pass.

You might want to call was that again
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote