Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #1

Which Oil Weight?

Ok, it was time to change the oil in my 2016 Sunstar LX (Ford V10), first time for me since I owned it. So I looked up the recommended oils in the Ford Manual and they the top four listed say 5W-20W. So that's what I bought, Castrol GTX 5W-20 Full Synthetic. After draining the old oil, and getting ready to pour in the new, I see on the oil fill cap that it says 5W-30W! What's going on? Should I drain the new oil I just put in and put in the 5W-30W? I live in the mountains east of San Diego and we do get some snow up here but most of our trips are during non winter months. Just getting ready for a trip from Home to Flagstaff for a week or two and wondering if I've made a mistake.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #2

Looking back at the manual, there's a little tiny footnote number above the part number. Going to the next page, down at the bottom, it says "1Reference the reservoir cap for proper fluid." Wish I'd seen that before I bought the oil.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I really don't think it's that big of a mistake. If your engine was 2 years newer it might even specify 5W-20.
As the EPA standards get tougher and CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) kicks in manufacturers are specifying lighter weight oils with little to no change in the engine.
On top of this you used full synthetic which is definetly better than 5W-30 non-synthetic.
I would run the oil and not worry about it. Just go back to 5W-30 at the next change interval.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #4

I disagree, 30w oil is a thicker than 20w oil and if the engine tolerances are designed for 30w oil then that is what should be used. You do not want to run a lower viscosity (thinner) oil at engine operating temperature.

(copied from Google)

The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number, the thinner the oil: a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100°C etc.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Most owner's manuals list different viscosities that are ok to be used in the engine, usually based on what the expected outside temperatures will be during the oil's use. From just looking online, it appears your manual doesn't show temperature ranges.

The 5W-20 is one of the recommendations, actually the first one listed, so i'd say it was fine.

Edited to add: Well shoot, went back and read again. I see the footnote in the manual now. I'm kinda thinking it'd bug me too much to let go so I'd probably go ahead and replace with the 5W-30
Old 09-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Most owner's manuals list different viscosities that are ok to be used in the engine, usually based on what the expected outside temperatures will be during the oil's use. From just looking online,it appears your manual doesn't show temperature ranges. The 5W-20 is one of the recommendations, actually the first one listed, so i'd say it was fine.

That may be true for the first number which is the viscosity at cold start up temp and is usually a short time period. The second number is the viscosity at 100c or operating temperature which is usually the temp the engine runs at for most of it's operation which is determined by the thermostat not the outside temp.

I found a earlier post (05) on this same engine oil question might be interesting.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/ford-...w20-33479.html

Many postings on this V10 engine oil just searching google:
https://community.fmca.com/topic/429...ed-oil-weight/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I really don't think it's that big of a mistake. If your engine was 2 years newer it might even specify 5W-20.
As the EPA standards get tougher and CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) kicks in manufacturers are specifying lighter weight oils with little to no change in the engine.
On top of this you used full synthetic which is definetly better than 5W-30 non-synthetic.
I would run the oil and not worry about it. Just go back to 5W-30 at the next change interval.
Or, even one year newer

Our 2017 specifies 5w20. I do use a full-synth 5w20.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
That may be true for the first number which is the viscosity at cold start up temp and is usually a short time period. The second number is the viscosity at 100c or operating temperature which is usually the temp the engine runs at for most of it's operation which is determined by the thermostat not the outside temp.
Very true, I would not want to run 20W in an engine that required 30W. My reply above was made because the manual showed 5W-20 as being one of the recommendations. I went back and read again though, and spotted the footnote in the manual stating to use the numbers on the oil fill cap. I've since edited my previous post.

Most owner's manuals have an "engine oil viscosity" chart inside their pages. They normally have a "preferred" viscosity that covers the widest temperature range. There is usually an optional viscosity, sometimes more than one, that the manual says is ok if outside temps are in range. I'm kinda surprised the Ford manual doesn't have it.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #9

FWIW, the engine in a MH is classed as severe-duty use. Were it I in this situation, I would drive around locally for 20 miles then change to the specified oil-including filter change. Sure you're out about $50, but you just flushed the engine with a high-grade oil and discarded contaminates in the old filter. That has to be worth something.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:23 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it was mine, its not a big deal... leave it alone..

In my MH, I use 10w30.. In my cars I use 5w20 or 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #11

Interesting, our 2015 V-10 and my 2004 F-150 with the 4.8 both call for 5W-20 and also use the same oil filter. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

Well, I've decided to leave in the 5W-20. Did some research and got lots of opinions from people that said it would be fine. I was curious and downloaded the 2017 F53 manual, and guess what, 5W-30 is not even listed, only 5W-20. I seriously doubt there were any major engine changes between the 2016 and 2017 so I think I'm safe. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #13

FWIW: there's a tech on YouTube who has quite a following as Fordtechmakuloco. He recommends 5W-30 for cam phaser life. Since he worked in a dealership and did a lot of engine work I chose to take his advice. However, one change of 5W-20 won't make a difference. My V10 factory fill was 5W-20. After 1100 miles I went to 5W-30.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #14

Maybe they just had some left-over filler caps.................

Ya never know.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight