Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Which Product to Use?

We will be picking up our first RV from the dealership next Thursday. In advance of the return trip, I wanted to pick up a few "necessary" items but am now overwhelmed as to the sheer number of products available. In lieu of my "brain overload", I welcome your suggestions on:

1. Sewer hose (kit preferably with adapters if that is acceptable)
2. Brand of holding tank chemicals (drop in packets or liquid)
3. Surge protectors

Also anything else that might need to be installed at the dealership before we leave for home.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning!
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
srh

Newmar Owners Club
You don't say if it is new or pre-owned? If the latter, I would wait until you get it. For one thing, it may have the sewer hose. Also, it will be better to actually have the RV and then determine what you need.
Good luck and enjoy your new RV!
Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It is a pre-owned 2012 Newmar..and you are right about waiting until I get there. Thanks much
Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Is this a new or used rig? It should have a sewer hose with it. I use the Rhino Flex hose myself along with a clear 45deg adaptor that installs at the valve end so you can see when the tanks are running clear.
Always leave the black tank valve closed until you have at least a 1/2 tank before you dump. Have at least 1/2 tank of grey water before you dump.
Hook up the hose, dump the black tank first, close the valve and then dump the grey tank to flush the brown from the hose.
When parked, I also leave my grey tank closed to ensure no sewer gas back up into the coach. Every morning I go and dump the grey and close the valve again.
As for chemical, I use Happy Campers. You may find it at Ace Hardware but I buy mine off Amazon. It is the best and least expensive of any I have tried.

Robot Check

Robot Check

Surge protector. This is a subject that has been talked about on this forum a bunch. Suggest you do a search in one of the motorhome forums and you will find lots of info. Personally, I use the Progressive hardwired device. It is IMO, the best one on the market.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Happy Trails, enjoy your new RV.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours was pre-owned from Mike Thompson's, they still gave us a starter kit with sewer hose, tool kit, pressure regulator, and other items.

I suspect you will want to upgrade to a better sewer hose, depending on your needs. Since your are supposed to leave the black tank valve closed, I don't even hook up my sewer hose when parked with full hook ups.

I have purchased a fairly expensive "Dominator" sewer hose....but I don't use it much. Instead I pull out the cheapie when I leave, dump the tanks, the hose again. I only use the good hose if I have to leave it out for long periods....but that is just me.

+1 on the clear fitting....that is the only entertaining part of dumping the tanks....

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
There are a number of things you will need. The list can and will be huge.

Some things to check for and get if not included. You will need most of these items soon after getting your unit.

1) surge protection (not necessary but good insurance).
2) sewer hose (get a good sturdy one) We also have a clear connection for the sewer - it lets us see when the water is running clear during the flushing process.
3) electric plugs from 15 amp to 30 amp and from 30 amp to 50 amp if the coach is a 50 amp service. We use the 15 amp for charging the batteries. It also has enough power to run the fridge so it is cold when preparing to go camping.
4) toilet paper. Anything that says septic system friendly.
5) water hose for drinking water.
6) water hose for tank flush.
7) rug or something to place at the bottom of the stairs to wipe or leave shoes.
8) leveling blocks if not equipped with self leveling. We have blocks for the self leveling jacks to sit on (keeps the jacks out of the dirt and provides a larger base for better support).

Good luck with your acquisition.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
surge protector

Yes on the Progressive Industries surge protector. I purchased the 50 amp EMS-PT50C from Amazon and it paid for itself within the first month. Campground had a bad ground to the box. It is a little pricey but will worth it.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks much for the tips...wow..there is much to learn!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post
We will be picking up our first RV from the dealership next Thursday. In advance of the return trip, I wanted to pick up a few "necessary" items but am now overwhelmed as to the sheer number of products available. In lieu of my "brain overload", I welcome your suggestions on:

3. Surge protectors

Also anything else that might need to be installed at the dealership before we leave for home.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning!

There is one other thing I consider essential although others may not. A tire pressure monitor system (TPMS). I don't know how far your ride home is in an unfamiliar coach but a TPMS contributes to peace of mind.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Can you offer a recommendation on the tire pressure monitoring system? Also, what about valve stem inflation tubes for the internal tires? Again, many thanks
Old 07-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Can you offer a recommendation on the tire pressure monitoring system? Also, what about valve stem inflation tubes for the internal tires? Again, many thanks

The two systems that are most widely used by RVers are:

1. Pressure Pro http://www.advantagepressurepro.com/home.asp
2. TST http://tsttruck.com/product-category...oring-systems/

There are others of course.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your question. I'm guessing it's about the inside dual on the drive axle. The inside tire has its valve stem pointed out & a competent tire shop or the dealership service dept should be able to set you up properly.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
3. Surge protectors
Several good hoses
I have used Rhino Flex and they are good but my last purchase was a new one.. BY Tethford..So far I am impressed with it but..
SmartHoseŽ Premium Sewer Hose | Products | Thetford
It only comes in one length, if you need longer you may have a problem (Though you can extend with more common hoses like the Rinoflex)

Drain Master and Waste Master are top of the line hoses.. I would recommend all those I mentioned.

2: Brand of holding Tank Chemials.. H20 Brand,, that is Water back when I part timed I would clean the tank end of season with 1/2 cup Dawn (Original) 1/2 cup Calgon and about 1/3 tank water Then drive. like 50-100 miles and dump.. But now that I full time I do not do that.

Also if you are going to be a long time between dumps there MAY be an advantage to a biological But frankly.. I am on the fence. Gray tank stinks worse anyway. (This is a fact).

3 Surge Protectors Progressive Industries
30 amp Hardwired HW-30
30 amp Portable PT-30
50 amp.. Change 30 to 50 in the above

All these come with an LCD display DO not get the ones that are LED only.. though they do not hurt, and may help... a little,, they will not protect you against any of the following.

Brown outs (low voltage which damages motors)
Sustained high voltage (A real surge is sustained high voltage)
Spikes (Brief high voltages lasting a fraction of a second (usually 1/120th to 1/30th) the LED only ones also cover this.

Plugging into a 240 volt 30 amp Welder/Dryer/Air compressor/Othre device outlet. (More common than you think)
Mis-wired outlets

The LDC models do all the above.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks much. With all of the great information offers, at least I will not show up looking like a total dumbass!